There are 123 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Favorite single game performance by a 49er player?

• SaksV
  • Veteran
Jerry's comeback game versus Denver on MNF in 1997.
Just 2.5 months from getting his knee shredded on a (dirty) tackle by Warren Sapp in Week 1, my favorite player of all time steps on the field, catches a first down and then a TD moments later. Nobody thought he would be able to do it. He did it. AND they retire Joe's number that night.. AND I turned 15 that day. Very memorable to me.
Alex vs saints
Originally posted by SaksV:
Just 2.5 months from getting his knee shredded on a (dirty) tackle by Warren Sapp in Week 1, my favorite player of all time steps on the field, catches a first down and then a TD moments later. Nobody thought he would be able to do it. He did it. AND they retire Joe's number that night.. AND I turned 15 that day. Very memorable to me.

then he reinjured his knee and missed the rest of the season
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Steve young's run against the vikings!

Classic Steve Young play. Even at full speed it looks like slow motion. Can't believe all the players he bumped into getting to the endzone!
Originally posted by ninermedic:

Yeah but wasn't it a busted kneecap? Totally unrelated to the ACL tear. Well maybe not since he knee was probably still weak.
Lot to choose from but the cake goes to...

The goat

Mnf 3tds against the raiders the final one breaks nfl record for all time. He gets put back in the game to break it and jumps over 2 defenders on a bomb to do it.

Amazing

TO against the giants in playoffs in 2003 is up there

As is Steve young in Super Bowl

I never got to enjoy Montana in his prime so I won't add him here

Goal line stand against the eagles is up there for me cuz I was there in the stadium behind that goal line when we stopped them 8x in a row
[ Edited by iLL49er on Mar 22, 2013 at 10:30 PM ]
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Not a whole game performance, but does anyone remember early 90's regular season vs. the Bills on one of the last games of the regular season with something like 7 minutes to go and Bills are on the goal line about to score the go-ahead touchdown. Gary Plummer Supermans over the top and causes Thurman Thomas to fumble and Lee Woodall runs the fumble back 98 or 99 yards for the touchdown.

That was one of the most incredible 49ers plays I've ever seen. Ahh here it is, looks like it was 95 http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199512030sfo.htm
[ Edited by Disp on Mar 22, 2013 at 10:34 PM ]
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blm7754:
I've got to say Alex Smith against the Saints in the divisional game 2011. After all the s**t he'd been through it was awesome to see him control that game and shut all of his critics up. I'll never forget how psyched I was watching that game.

yep, that was special.

I have seen many great performances over the years but that one stands out in my mind. The main reason I think was that it was a statement to say that all the years of frustration were at an end. This franchise was back.

Not to take anything away from the amazing performances of Joe, Ronnie, Jerry, Steve and the others, but Alex just was not going to let Drew Brees beat the 49ers on that day. That was special.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by Cooper22:
It's not my favorite, but definitely should be mentioned..

Aldon Smith's 5.5 sack game against the Bears last year was probably one of the most dominating performances I've ever seen from a pass rusher

I was just gonna mention that game. Might be the most dominant defensive performance for a single niner player ever.

A couple that rank right up there are from the year that started the dynasty, 1981...in his first game with the 49ers, Fred Dean terrorized Danny White ALL game, sacked him at least 3 times. That 45-14 win put the Niners on the map.

Then later that year in Nov, 49ers went to Pittsburgh...close game Niners won 17-14, but the way they beat the crap out of the Steelers sent a message. Carlton Williamson alone knocked 2 or 3 receivers out of the game.

Saw that game. Ronnie Lott upended John Stallworth on a crossing route. Stallworth held on to the ball, IIRC, but Steeler receivers were tentative the rest of the game. At the time, Stallworth had a reputation as being a real tough guy that could not be intimidated. Lott's hit on hime changed that game and the national reputation of the team.
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by ninermedic:

Yeah but wasn't it a busted kneecap? Totally unrelated to the ACL tear. Well maybe not since he knee was probably still weak.

My understanding was that it was related to the brace he was wearing on the knee, I could be wrong though. I was like 12 at the time.
Oh man...so many memories it's hard to name one over the rest. But I'm gonna say my favorite is Steve Young's performance against San Diego in the Super Bowl. So happy to see Steve finally get the monkey off his back.
  • rum53
  • Veteran
What about the game where Jerry Rice broke the career TD record with a 3 td performance on the opening day against the Raiders on MNF? Everyone in the stadium knew the record setting 3rd td reception was going to Rice but they couldn't stop it.
This is EASY, 1990 Jerry Rice vs the Falcons with 5 TD receptions. It looked sooo easy that day.
Originally posted by dj43:
Saw that game. Ronnie Lott upended John Stallworth on a crossing route. Stallworth held on to the ball, IIRC, but Steeler receivers were tentative the rest of the game. At the time, Stallworth had a reputation as being a real tough guy that could not be intimidated. Lott's hit on hime changed that game and the national reputation of the team.

They should have called that matchup years later "The Changing Of The Guard" game.
[ Edited by robniner on Mar 23, 2013 at 8:22 AM ]
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
This is EASY, 1990 Jerry Rice vs the Falcons with 5 TD receptions. It looked sooo easy that day.

Then the Falcons hired M.C. Hammer the very next season and he taught them to "Too Legit, Too Legit To Quit!"