There are 250 users in the forums

Grading The Niners Off-Season Thread And Poll

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grading The Niners Off-Season Thread And Poll

Two things about this strategy that people don't realize. Is that seldom do players come in with big price tags and make a big impact NA at philly and Mario Williams at Buffalo come to mind. We had that happen with Clements. Justin Smith was the exception for us but most times it doesn't work. Cause they forget schemes and whether the player complements or gells with the others. Fans get so worked up by name recognition and the satisfaction that at least on paper the team is doing something, but as Chris Berman says thats why they play the game and don't hand out SB trophy passed on paper roster.

The other thing is the niners are not going to overpay and will bring in people that make sense, plus we will always get comp picks. Next more so based on the salaries and status of the players we lost and that we gained. This allows for Trent to deal the picks that are ours and not comps, as a package to either move up or to use it for a pick next year that will be higher, say a sixth this year for a fifth next, same for a seventh, forth or fifth. In the long run we build thru the draft and get better leverage and better quality in the future.
Boldin and Alex Smith were handled really well. Losing Goldson is a big loss. Bigger than most people want to admit. Some plus and minus. Overall we were pressed agains the cap so we did the best we could. I think they did well with the circumstances. I would have like to keep Goldson. In no way do I see a rookie draft pick playing as well. And our D will probably drop off some.
We're playing chess, except this game has no checkmate.

We picked up the true MVP of the playoffs for nothing.
We picked up a replacement NT for little.
We picked up an All-Pro kicker for good value.
We improved our special teams and depth for good value.

We have 14 draft picks due to our front office maneuvers, and a bunch of the picks are early rounders.

All the other teams are paying top dollar for "super man" and other various super hero's, while we quietly embarrass the rest of the league with our subtle tactics, where we gain more leverage with each and every move.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Mar 20, 2013 at 10:10 PM ]
Incomplete. Get back to me after the draft.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Boldin and Alex Smith were handled really well. Losing Goldson is a big loss. Bigger than most people want to admit. Some plus and minus. Overall we were pressed agains the cap so we did the best we could. I think they did well with the circumstances. I would have like to keep Goldson. In no way do I see a rookie draft pick playing as well. And our D will probably drop off some.

I agree with that. The Boldin and Smith trades were great deals. Losing Goldson hurts, but it was the right call given our future cap situation. It's unrealistic to expect a rookie to perform as well as Goldson did, but he should be a suitable enough replacement to keep the defense running properly. Our defense has always been about the front 7, not the secondary. If we can add some quality d-line depth along with the rookie safety, and maybe an additional pass-rusher, we should be good to go.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Mar 20, 2013 at 10:26 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

I just do think that we had that much of a chance of keeping Goldson.

I feel that he wanted to hit the free market. He did. He got rewarded. Good for him, and it will be hard to replace him.

Boldin and Dawson are good pick ups. Skuta and Dahl should improve the special teams and Dahl could surprise on defense.

Baalke did right by Alex Smith, and in the process did right for the team. That is not always the case. Look at the Jets.

The defense could drop some, but it might not. If the starters get more rest, and the back ups are better, it might balance out.

I honestly dont know what grade to give this off season, (even though its not really finished) Baalke always seems to break my heart, then I get all happy when I realize he knew exactly what he was doing.

Screw it ill give it an A, because i'm sure that we will field a playoff team again
I'll participate after the draft.
Remember, the draft is graded a bit differently,

Oh wait, the experts and writers premature that too.
We have only written half the paper...you cant grade it until its a finished thesis.

Incomplete...

Solid 'B'. We addressed some glaring weaknesses from last season (e.g. WR and special teams), and we still have plenty of picks and FA's to fill the hole at FS.

Once again, Baalke has a done a great job filling holes without breaking the bank.
Originally posted by robniner:
Nate Davis of USA Today's Sports Weekly just unleashed out an article on NFL off-season grades in a first look perspective. He gave the Niners a "B". He mentioned that Boldin and Dorsey look like cost-effective additions. He questioned about Craig Dahl and if he can fill Goldson's cleats.

He mentioned under the Seahawks section that the Niners should be worried.

Do you agree with the writer? What grade do you give our Niners?

Up above-choose what grade you think the Niners should get this off-season thus far.

The Seahawks essentially sold out their future for short term success. They are setting themselves up for a "1 and done" season while the 49ers are setting themselves up for long-term sustained success.

On paper, they look better in 2013. But if we draft well, we can not only keep pace with them in 2013, but have the edge every year for the foreseeable future.
Share 49ersWebzone