There are 127 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

K Phil Dawson

How is he on kick off touchbacks?
General question:

What is it with the 49ers and old kickers?
Perhaps this move means Baalke is trading up!? Kiss 4th & 5th rd picks goodbye!?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by ivanm05:
I still think we draft a kicker. I'm stoked we have Dawson for next season though. Find a nice kicker in the draft to come along under a vet.

There's absolutely no chance in hell that they keep 2 kickers on the roster or even tie up a practice squad spot with a kicker. You simply don't develop kickers beyond bringing the same guy back, preseason after preseason to "compete." Dawson will go up against Tavecchio and some other undrafted guy such as Zach Brown.

Yeah, I can see that. I'm sure its only a one year deal. Is it out of the realm of possibility they draft a guy to keep and cut Giorgio? Obviously, they don't feel that great about him.
Also might mean we a ''win now'' team... May not want to put rookie kicker in that much of a pressure cooker?!
13 for 13 outside the 40? Hmmm. sounds like we just got better at FG. Am still interested in what % of K.O.s go into end zone.
Originally posted by Beeker:
General question:

Seems like Baalke likes to sign old FA kickers, we should probably expect that going forward.
It's hard to tell with some posters if they're genuinely unhappy or just like to whine about whatever moves Baalke makes. Maybe it's just me, but if I sign the best K in the league, I don't see what there is to complain about...given Akers cost us some games last year because he just couldn't convert.
Originally posted by ivanm05:
Yeah, I can see that. I'm sure its only a one year deal. Is it out of the realm of possibility they draft a guy to keep and cut Giorgio? Obviously, they don't feel that great about him.

How do you cut a guy that's not on the roster?
I really like this move, last 2 years Dawson maybe the best K in the NFL. He is very accurate, good on kickoffs, and has good range beyond 50 yards. I like the top 2 K's in the draft but I'm much more comfortable with us going with a vet Seely is used to working with than a rookie while our SB window is wide open.
how's he on kickoffs?
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
General question:

Seems like Baalke likes to sign old FA kickers, we should probably expect that going forward.

Not just Dawson and Akers....

G. Anderson
M. Anderson
R. Wersching
J. Nedney

Just seems to be a bit of a 49ers "thing".

And maybe I'm still a complete moron.
Originally posted by socalniner:
how's he on kickoffs?

The ball gets to at least the 30 yard line 99% of the time.
Originally posted by valrod33:

Originally posted by NinerBuff:
General question:

Not just Dawson and Akers....

G. Anderson
M. Anderson
R. Wersching
J. Nedney

Just seems to be a bit of a 49ers "thing".

And maybe I'm still a complete moron.

Good call,

I guess Jose Cortez changed them forever. I do think it's a good idea to use a late draft pick / UDFA on a kicker while we can have 80+ guys on the roster. Dawson has an excellent resume, but he's obviously not a long term asset.