There are 258 users in the forums

K Phil Dawson

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Akers 2.0
way too soon to complain guys. Overall he has been great for us.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

we cannot have our FG kicker missing those types of FG's. we aren't going to have the luxury of 18 point leads every game
I only trust Dawson kicking extra points, and even that is sketchy. If the preseason rule for extra points were active this season, I would go for 2 after every TD.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

To be fair, he's been great about the same amount of time Akers was great...and actually, it was the 2012 season-opener in GB that he made the 63-yarder, and it went downhill really fast after that. So at least he was great 1 game into his second season.

Seriously though, I wouldn't start saying Dawson is going Akers just yet, but he wasn't good in preaseason, that was a horrible kick today, so it's not overreacting for one to say they're at least concerned.
I'm guessing this might be his last season with the 49ers.
Worst part of missing the kick was that it was indoors and only from 37 yards out.
not that big of a deal. Less fantasy points for my opponent
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
I'm guessing this might be his last season with the 49ers.

He's eligible for Social Security and Denny's early-bird discount next year so you're probably right.
I don't know why everyone's freaking out. It was one kick. It's not like he's kicking 70%. (Yes, I know it's technically 0%). But, like I said, it's one kick. And a mostly meaningless kick too.

Originally posted by ElDannMann:
I don't know why everyone's freaking out. It was one kick. It's not like he's kicking 70%. (Yes, I know it's technically 0%). But, like I said, it's one kick. And a mostly meaningless kick too.

because we are Niner fans, and if you are paying attention there has been a trend. We sign a really old kicker who actually has about 2 good seasons left...and then he spirals into oblivion quickly...we suffer through that for several games and then move on to the next old kicker.
Originally posted by ElDannMann:

Freaking out would be the wrong thing to do right now...but given what the Niners went through with an older kicker who had one great season followed by an absolute abortion of a season, AND the fact Dawson didn't look great in preseason, AND that he missed BADLY on an easy kick in a favorable stadium, you don't think that's at least cause for concern? And the kick was mostly meaningless as far as impact on the game, but to Dawson himself? It doesn't take much for a kicker to start getting the yips.
The only reasons I would be in favor of getting a rookie kicker over Dawson are

1) Perhaps the coaching staff wouldn't be so reliant on the kicker to score points and would be more aggressive and creative in playing calling in the redzone.

2) A rookie kicker could save about 1-2 million in cap space.

But yes, I think it's typical 49ers fans freaking out over the smallest things. There are fans of teams talking about how their squad is going to the Super Bowl. Seriously. I've spoken to Dolphins and Jets fans today that actually believe this. And we have some among us nit-picking over a kicker who missed a single kick. Come off the ledge. Give it a few games before we proclaim him the next David Akers.
akers 2.0
Phil will do fine this year. Relax people.
Share 49ersWebzone