There are 162 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

K Phil Dawson

Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by solidg2000:
49ers | Phil Dawson terms
Fri, 14 Mar 2014 07:27:11 -0700
Updating previous reports, San Francisco 49ers PK Phil Dawson received a two-year, $6.134 million deal with a $2 million signing bonus. He receives $3 million in the first year and can earn $25,000 in incentives each year.

Comment | Source: USA TODAY Sports - Tom Pelissero | Share:
- See more at: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page=0#sthash.7VXNx8Pl.dpuf

thats too much money for a kicker who doesn't even get touch backs with consistency. His short kick in the NFCG was huge. We should have just gotten a young kicker in the draft with a monster a leg.

Do you ever stop? Getting close to SD level.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Updating previous reports, San Francisco 49ers PK Phil Dawson received a two-year, $6.134 million deal with a $2 million signing bonus. He receives $3 million in the first year and can earn $25,000 in incentives each year.

thats too much money for a kicker who doesn't even get touch backs with consistency. His short kick in the NFCG was huge. We should have just gotten a young kicker in the draft with a monster a leg.

Nobody is at SD's level, although i think he calmed down. I don't agree entirely with Sus, but he does have a point about the short kickoffs. I think the money is worth his clutch FG kicking ability. He was money last year and won us some tight defensive battles.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Nobody is at SD's level, although i think he calmed down. I don't agree entirely with Sus, but he does have a point about the short kickoffs. I think the money is worth his clutch FG kicking ability. He was money last year and won us some tight defensive battles.

Dawson is clutch and I aint mad at the signing but I do want a kicker who can kick the ball out the back of the endzone every time. That also makes signing guys just for special teams coverage units less of a priority.

Dawson is clutch and I aint mad at the signing but I do want a kicker who can kick the ball out the back of the endzone every time. That also makes signing guys just for special teams coverage units less of a priority.

Who cares about touchbacks? The ONLY thing that matters in a kicker is the ability to make FG's, and do it in the clutch. Thats what Dawson does. Hes automatic inside 50, and can hit the majority of his tries from 50-56, whether its in the clutch or not.

Think about the kind of money we pay other players? Dawson decides games. Its a bargain to get a pro bowl level kicker like him for 3 mil. He wont even earn all of it if he flops somehow. Its really not much money at all. Especially when the list of available guys who are even half as good is short.

I swear, people in here find literally ANYTHING to complain about. People complain about having a franchise QB because he will "cost alot and hasnt won a Super Bowl yet."

Our fanbase has turned into a bunch of spoiled brats. We JUST got out of an 8 year famine of being a total joke. We get gifted Jim Harbaugh, who turns us from a 6 win team to a SB contender overnight, we lead the league in pro bowlers every year now, and weve been literally a couple plays away from going to the Super Bowl in 3 straight years. And still, whining.

All because everyones little feelings got hurt over getting close to a 6th title, and being heartbroken in the end. Think about how many bad teams would KILL to get where we are now. Were in the middle of one of the best runs an NFL team has had in 3 straight seasons.

The nitpicking has become insane.
Originally posted by Niners99:

Who cares about touchbacks? The ONLY thing that matters in a kicker is the ability to make FG's, and do it in the clutch. Thats what Dawson does. Hes automatic inside 50, and can hit the majority of his tries from 50-56, whether its in the clutch or not.

Think about the kind of money we pay other players? Dawson decides games. Its a bargain to get a pro bowl level kicker like him for 3 mil. He wont even earn all of it if he flops somehow. Its really not much money at all. Especially when the list of available guys who are even half as good is short.

I swear, people in here find literally ANYTHING to complain about. People complain about having a franchise QB because he will "cost alot and hasnt won a Super Bowl yet."

Our fanbase has turned into a bunch of spoiled brats. We JUST got out of an 8 year famine of being a total joke. We get gifted Jim Harbaugh, who turns us from a 6 win team to a SB contender overnight, we lead the league in pro bowlers every year now, and weve been literally a couple plays away from going to the Super Bowl in 3 straight years. And still, whining.

All because everyones little feelings got hurt over getting close to a 6th title, and being heartbroken in the end. Think about how many bad teams would KILL to get where we are now. Were in the middle of one of the best runs an NFL team has had in 3 straight seasons.

All of this. I do however can't wait for the moment we won't be so dependent on having top of the line kickers (essentially having to spend 2 million plus per season), but until then, I'm totally fine with having clutch guys like Phil Dawson.
Originally posted by Niners99:

All of this. I do however can't wait for the moment we won't be so dependent on having top of the line kickers (essentially having to spend 2 million plus per season), but until then, I'm totally fine with having clutch guys like Phil Dawson.
Just saw they are looking at a "big leg" kicker from Old Dominion. I definitely like have a clutch guy like Dawson for FG's but I wouldn't mind having a big young leg for kickoffs. In big moments we need somebody who will put that thing out the back of the endzone so there is no chance of a return; phil just doesn't have that juice anymore.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MTninerfan:
Just saw they are looking at a "big leg" kicker from Old Dominion. I definitely like have a clutch guy like Dawson for FG's but I wouldn't mind having a big young leg for kickoffs. In big moments we need somebody who will put that thing out the back of the endzone so there is no chance of a return; phil just doesn't have that juice anymore.

you are not going to carry two kickers on the active roster.. if they sign one I am sure it will be in the 6th or 7th round and would be used only for off season camps and pre season games. esp if they sign osgood, we have the coverage guys who can make teams start from the 20 most of the time
We wouldn't have been in the playoffs w/out Dawson.

FG win games. And the way JH runs the offense we NEED a guy like Dawson.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
We wouldn't have been in the playoffs w/out Dawson.

FG win games. And the way JH runs the offense we NEED a guy like Dawson.
roman would not have a job without dawson
He might not have a job w/out JH.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
He might not have a job w/out JH.

agree. jh=roman enabler
Bump!

Just wanted to give a shout out to last years OFFENSIVE MVP for kicking some long range canon shots in scrimmages. A couple of 50-yarders plus. That's my guy! The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Best FA move made by management in last 2 years! And smart to re-up him!

Have another great year Phil! We may need it.
But can he play NT
Why not. Let's try it.