There are 104 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

K Phil Dawson

Originally posted by SofaKing:
All of his extra points were knucklers too. Never thought anyone would miss Cleveland that much...lol.

The thing is, he has never had to kick PRESSURE field goals. They have all been for Cleveland, which means they are basically all meaningless. Now, he is on a Super Bowl contender, and each kick could mean winning the division, playoff position, home field etc. The pressure is on him now, and he does not look so hot with it.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
The thing is, he has never had to kick PRESSURE field goals. They have all been for Cleveland, which means they are basically all meaningless. Now, he is on a Super Bowl contender, and each kick could mean winning the division, playoff position, home field etc. The pressure is on him now, and he does not look so hot with it.

Good point. Didn't think of it that way. I figured a 16 year vet kicker would have experienced enough pressure situations, but Dawson has never been on a team where every game, every kick is crucial. I think he'll calm his nerves eventually.
Good point. Didn't think of it that way. I figured a 16 year vet kicker would have experienced enough pressure situations, but Dawson has never been on a team where every game, every kick is crucial. I think he'll calm his nerves eventually.

It's funny, because bad teams tend to have really good punters and kickers. It seems like there is a lot of psychology to it. Even Andy Lee is beginning to look shaky.
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Phil Dawson has been a disappointment so far, isn't there any better kickers out on the market right now?

Kickalicious?

aka Havard Rugland. We have absolutely nothing to lose to bring him in for a tryout.
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by Rascal:
He simply has not been as good as advertised. Age could be a factor. I am still curious what Havard Rugland could bring and hope we can give him a tryout at least.

HAHA, detroit let him go and Akers been sucking... that kid is pretty good

Honestly, I believe too much has been placed on him not having football experience. I used to play rugby and had kicked a little bit. All you need to know is how to kick the ball from A to B, it has nothing to do with whether you know the game of rugby. Didn't he have a very decent preseason ? If you ask me, guys like Akers and Dawson have passed their prime. If it was up to me, I would look out for the younger guys. We have nothing to lose to bring him in for a tryout.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
All of his extra points were knucklers too. Never thought anyone would miss Cleveland that much...lol.

Give me a break. Outside a game winning playoff attempt, a kick is a kick. The fact that he played in Cleveland doesnt mean his FG attempts never had pressure. Hes good at kicking the ball through the uprights. Hes attempted a buttload of FG's from playing for a bad team, and hes always been one of the most accurate through all of it. Hes a pro bowler who kept an NFL kicking job without being fired for 15 years. How many guys can say that? Plus he did get some playoff experience along the way. He'll be fine.
With no rush, I bet Rugland makes that 71 yard free kick... However, his draw back is that in uniform he has large men running after him, that takes some getting use to.
[ Edited by vermonator on Sep 28, 2013 at 7:20 AM ]
Wtf is wrong with him!??
Originally posted by Eli_23:
Wtf is wrong with him!??

he missed a 53 yarder. not exactly a chip shot.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Wtf is wrong with him!??

No, not really, is more than that.

Phil Dawson thus far - 3 of 6

Havard Rugland - 3 of 3 (including a 50 yarder)

Like I said, it doesn't hurt to bring him in to work him out and see what he's got.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Wtf is wrong with him!??

No, not really, is more than that.

Phil Dawson thus far - 3 of 6

Havard Rugland - 3 of 3 (including a 50 yarder)

Like I said, it doesn't hurt to bring him in to work him out and see what he's got.

One of those was a 71 yarder.....
There's definitely something to the idea that Dawson has a paradigm shift in his psychi after kicking for years on a team with no expectation or hope of contending in playoffs to a team where it's pretty much SB or bust. It makes sense that he goes from less pressure due to his inferior teams in the past (and the fact he wouldn't lose his job as an accurate kicker) to more pressure mentally & emotionally because the margin for error is so small now being on a team that can legitimately go all the way.
this dude is sucks
Dawson will pick it up as season goes!
Originally posted by susweel:
this dude is sucks

Yeah man this kicking situation and kicker has got me livid. You can't have greatness without a good kicker. One kick can ruin your teams season