LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 236 users in the forums

K Phil Dawson

In case you guys have not noticed, when Nedney and Akers failed us, their decline was rapid and final.....uhh you think that might have something to do with their age?

I don't think it had anything to do with their age. Nedney was never a sure bet beyond 40 and Akers just lost it mentally. Don't forget Old man Akers tied the NFL record last year at 63 yards in Green Bay? Age has nothing to do with his release. In fact, young kickers get cut all the time.

Niners wanted a more consistent kicker and Akers has lost his edge mentally down the stretch before.

I would rather bring in an older proven kicker than a young hopeful honestly because if it doesn't pan out with the old kicker he's likely cheap and kickers are VERY replaceable.
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 45s 49ers gave K Phil Dawson a one-year, $2.25 million deal, including $1 million signing bonus. Great deal for Niners, not-so-great for Dawson.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 45s 49ers gave K Phil Dawson a one-year, $2.25 million deal, including $1 million signing bonus. Great deal for Niners, not-so-great for Dawson.

Excellent numbers for SF. Nice job Baalke!
Great signing. We don't need him for longer than a year.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Great signing. We don't need him for longer than a year.

If he doesn't regress, I don't mind keeping him around next year as well... This deal just gives the team some flexibility to groom a potential replacement on the PS..
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m Top kicker salaries: Sebastian Janikowski ($4 mil), J. Scobee ($3.45 mil), S. Gostkowski ($3.4 mil), C. Barth ($3.3 mil), Prater ($3.25 mil)
Another Grandpa pick up at kicker past his prime. Bohica!
Please don't tell me his stats from last year. Akers was good to before last season. We need to draft a kicker to compete with old man dawson
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersHeroine:
Please don't tell me his stats from last year. Akers was good to before last season. We need to draft a kicker to compete with old man dawson

ok i will bite.. what did he do last year to make you think he is past his prime? i love people like this who throw a guy under the bus before he has even climbed aboard. sheesh
Originally posted by cciowa:

ok i will bite.. what did he do last year to make you think he is past his prime? i love people like this who throw a guy under the bus before he has even climbed aboard. sheesh

Dude ... wait .... I know you've changed your tune recently, but that's exactly what you did to AJ. Jus' Sayin'

and we probably will, but Dawson is a top 5 kicker imo, so don't complain

Nah bro you can't talk about last year, even though he was 7-7 from 50+ yards and a 93% kicker with those winds and crappy field in Cleveland, those stats mean absolutely nothing.

He's going to be shanking kicks left and right. Count on it!

/sarcasm
[ Edited by mikeyrocks on Mar 21, 2013 at 3:04 PM ]
Originally posted by mikeyrocks:

Nah bro you can't talk about last year, even though he was 7-7 from 50+ yards and a 93% kicker with those winds and crappy field in Cleveland, those stats mean absolutely nothing.

He's going to be shanking kicks left and right. Count on it!

And a rook might not shank a few left and right. I rather have a vet than a rook who may or may not be shaky. Win now, future is now, sure it would be nice to have a young, and experienced kicker, but the draftees aren't. Hopkins and Sturgis are the best, but surely they would struggle in this weather.
Also people say "lasy year was last year", well what do you expect the GM and coaches to go off of. College kids are graded by their years in college, free agents years at various teams. You better sign consistent and draft consistent players, or you mind as well be packing your bags and get your Pink Slip. I rather take a proven commodity, like a Dawson, and Boldin over a unproven like Hopkins/Sturgis, and other WRs in the draft.
Cam Inman ‏@CamInman42s
While holder Andy Lee keeps No.4, Phil Dawson will wear No. 9 for (wait for it) the
49ers..
Share 49ersWebzone