because you touch yourself at night

LOL, I agree with valrod.

FYI valrod also touches himself at night

Originally posted by danimal:
some of you guys are failing to see the big picture

Joe Nedney became a Niner at age 33
David Akers became a Niner at age 35
Phil Dawson became a Niner at age 38

Meanwhile guys entering the prime of their careers like Dan Bailey, Kai Forbath, Steven Hauschka, Alex Henery, Justin Tucker, Blair Walsh etc play for other NFL teams.What are the odds the Niners couldn't have acquired one of these guys at some point between 2005 and now? And be set with a 7+ season franchise kicker in their prime?

So again I ask.....why does it seem like the Niners continue to only sign old ass kickers? If the answer is Candlestick, for me that just does not suffice.

In case you guys have not noticed, when Nedney and Akers failed us, their decline was rapid and final.....uhh you think that might have something to do with their age?

So be happy all you want about this signing, but if he f**ks up, oh how quickly you will be talking about yet another immediate need at Kicker....AGAIN...which I am sure we will fill with another old dude coming off a nice season

And the first time he shanks a 35 yarder the Zone will blow up with "Why didn't we draft ___________ when we had the chance???"

Meanwhile guys entering the prime of their careers like Dan Bailey, Kai Forbath, Steven Hauschka, Alex Henery, Justin Tucker, Blair Walsh etc play for other NFL teams.What are the odds the Niners couldn't have acquired one of these guys at some point between 2005 and now? And be set with a 7+ season franchise kicker in their prime?

So again I ask.....why does it seem like the Niners continue to only sign old ass kickers? If the answer is Candlestick, for me that just does not suffice.

In case you guys have not noticed, when Nedney and Akers failed us, their decline was rapid and final.....uhh you think that might have something to do with their age?

So be happy all you want about this signing, but if he f**ks up, oh how quickly you will be talking about yet another immediate need at Kicker....AGAIN...which I am sure we will fill with another old dude coming off a nice season
The draft hasnt even happened yet, how do you know the Niners arent going to draft a kicker? Dawson is only signed for one year
Originally posted by valrod33:

The draft hasnt even happened yet, how do you know the Niners arent going to draft a kicker? Dawson is only signed for one year

I still think we draft one. Put him on the practice squad.

I don't think it had anything to do with their age. Nedney was never a sure bet beyond 40 and Akers just lost it mentally. Don't forget Old man Akers tied the NFL record last year at 63 yards in Green Bay? Age has nothing to do with his release. In fact, young kickers get cut all the time.

Niners wanted a more consistent kicker and Akers has lost his edge mentally down the stretch before.

I would rather bring in an older proven kicker than a young hopeful honestly because if it doesn't pan out with the old kicker he's likely cheap and kickers are VERY replaceable.
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 45s 49ers gave K Phil Dawson a one-year, $2.25 million deal, including $1 million signing bonus. Great deal for Niners, not-so-great for Dawson.
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 45s 49ers gave K Phil Dawson a one-year, $2.25 million deal, including $1 million signing bonus. Great deal for Niners, not-so-great for Dawson.

Excellent numbers for SF. Nice job Baalke!
Great signing. We don't need him for longer than a year.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Great signing. We don't need him for longer than a year.

If he doesn't regress, I don't mind keeping him around next year as well... This deal just gives the team some flexibility to groom a potential replacement on the PS..
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m Top kicker salaries: Sebastian Janikowski ($4 mil), J. Scobee ($3.45 mil), S. Gostkowski ($3.4 mil), C. Barth ($3.3 mil), Prater ($3.25 mil)
Originally posted by slowriot:

Excellent numbers for SF. Nice job Baalke!

nice!
Another Grandpa pick up at kicker past his prime. Bohica!
Please don't tell me his stats from last year. Akers was good to before last season. We need to draft a kicker to compete with old man dawson
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersHeroine:
Please don't tell me his stats from last year. Akers was good to before last season. We need to draft a kicker to compete with old man dawson

ok i will bite.. what did he do last year to make you think he is past his prime? i love people like this who throw a guy under the bus before he has even climbed aboard. sheesh
Originally posted by cciowa:

ok i will bite.. what did he do last year to make you think he is past his prime? i love people like this who throw a guy under the bus before he has even climbed aboard. sheesh

Dude ... wait .... I know you've changed your tune recently, but that's exactly what you did to AJ. Jus' Sayin'

and we probably will, but Dawson is a top 5 kicker imo, so don't complain