LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

K Phil Dawson

• lazy
  • Veteran
Hopefully he's the Michael Hough of kickers.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows Phil Dawson finished tied for second in FG percentage in 2012 (93.5%). David Akers finished 30th in the same category (69%)

only a few percentage points better than Akers, then?!

I bet he ends up in training camp against either a couple of UDFAs or a 7th round pick. It aint over.

How'd the heck you get a only a few percentage points better than Akers, 93.5 percent vs. 69 percent, is this the new mat they teaching in schools?
Originally posted by Beeker:
Still gonna draft another kicker and let them fight it out.

Only if its in the 7th and a comp pick at that, why waste a 5th or higher if he's gonna be cut? For this year they still will be playing at the stick, and what I like about Dawson was, his first words to Seely, was can I get access to the stick to practice, especially in inclament weather. To which Seely said sure no problem.
Originally posted by danimal:
why the f**k do we keep signing old ass kickers

Because most younger kickers get iced and rattled easier, age brings been there done that. Dawson is familiar with situations and knows the conditions of all of the stadiums in the league and know how to adjust, A rookie will have a harder to time especially at the stick, the niners are built to win now, Akers problem is that his injuries screwed with his mechanics and then his head.
why the f**k do we keep signing old ass kickers

because you touch yourself at night
Is the deal only for 1 year?

If yes, then I assume we'll be picking a kicker in the draft?
  • thl408
Originally posted by WildBill:
Because most younger kickers get iced and rattled easier, age brings been there done that. Dawson is familiar with situations and knows the conditions of all of the stadiums in the league and know how to adjust, A rookie will have a harder to time especially at the stick, the niners are built to win now, Akers problem is that his injuries screwed with his mechanics and then his head.

Well said. PK is a prime position where nerves can rattle you. You have to be confident in your mechanics and ability. A 14 year vet kicker knows he's been doing something right all these years.
some of you guys are failing to see the big picture

Joe Nedney became a Niner at age 33
David Akers became a Niner at age 35
Phil Dawson became a Niner at age 38

Meanwhile guys entering the prime of their careers like Dan Bailey, Kai Forbath, Steven Hauschka, Alex Henery, Justin Tucker, Blair Walsh etc play for other NFL teams.What are the odds the Niners couldn't have acquired one of these guys at some point between 2005 and now? And be set with a 7+ season franchise kicker in their prime?

So again I ask.....why does it seem like the Niners continue to only sign old ass kickers? If the answer is Candlestick, for me that just does not suffice.

In case you guys have not noticed, when Nedney and Akers failed us, their decline was rapid and final.....uhh you think that might have something to do with their age?

So be happy all you want about this signing, but if he f**ks up, oh how quickly you will be talking about yet another immediate need at Kicker....AGAIN...which I am sure we will fill with another old dude coming off a nice season

Meanwhile guys entering the prime of their careers like Dan Bailey, Kai Forbath, Steven Hauschka, Alex Henery, Justin Tucker, Blair Walsh etc play for other NFL teams.What are the odds the Niners couldn't have acquired one of these guys at some point between 2005 and now? And be set with a 7+ season franchise kicker in their prime?

So again I ask.....why does it seem like the Niners continue to only sign old ass kickers? If the answer is Candlestick, for me that just does not suffice.

In case you guys have not noticed, when Nedney and Akers failed us, their decline was rapid and final.....uhh you think that might have something to do with their age?

So be happy all you want about this signing, but if he f**ks up, oh how quickly you will be talking about yet another immediate need at Kicker....AGAIN...which I am sure we will fill with another old dude coming off a nice season

Because for all the young kickers that excel, there's a lot more that wash out of the league. I swear, I've never seen so much crying and gnashing of teeth...the 49ers just signed a Pro-Bowl kicker who has only been getting better for the past few years. You'd think they just signed some bum off the street or something. The guy is one of the best NFL kickers of the past 20 years.

LOL, I agree with valrod.

• luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

FYI valrod also touches himself at night
Originally posted by luv49rs:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

FYI valrod also touches himself at night

And the first time he shanks a 35 yarder the Zone will blow up with "Why didn't we draft ___________ when we had the chance???"

The draft hasnt even happened yet, how do you know the Niners arent going to draft a kicker? Dawson is only signed for one year

The draft hasnt even happened yet, how do you know the Niners arent going to draft a kicker? Dawson is only signed for one year

I still think we draft one. Put him on the practice squad.
Share 49ersWebzone