LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 316 users in the forums

K Phil Dawson

Instead of using a 5th round pick on a kicker Baalke signed a very good kicker in Dawson and we'll use that 5th round pick as part of a package to move up in early rounds.
So wait, we sign not only the best kicker on the market but also one of the best in the league last year, and people are complaining?

Amazing.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'm afraid Dawson is going to fall down and break his hip or something. The dude is old.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The 49ers are so attracted to these old kickers. That's why they keep getting sports hernias and injuries where they dropoff. We need a younger kicker. Retreads who are old don't hold up for the long run. There is nothing wrong with spending a later round pick on a kicker. Although it seems unlikely now.

How are you not working in the nfl

He's been asked to interview many times, but he complains about the time being too early, the flight too long, and the money not being enough for his considerable skill
Welcome aboard Phil !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by baltien:
So wait, we sign not only the best kicker on the market but also one of the best in the league last year, and people are complaining?

Amazing.

LOL yup totally agree. But this is Niner Talk

Guy is a great signing. We comp[lained about Akers all season and when we sign the best kicker last year everyone complains. The guy is not going anywhere. He played for Seely while in Cleveland. I have to admire a kicker that asks for permission to go to the stick when the weather is bad to kick, so he knows how to approach it when the games start. I never heard of that before by a kicker.

Signing Dawson also frees up a draft pick that can be packaged in a trade in the early rounds. Like I said before this is a good move. But you can't satisfy everyone
  • Mayor
  • Veteran
Can anyone tell me that the shortcuts GS, LNG and BLK of the table mean?

http://www.49ers.com/team/roster/phil-dawson/4a670b5a-5f1b-4d99-9e60-4efee3ee7d56/
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The 49ers are so attracted to these old kickers. That's why they keep getting sports hernias and injuries where they dropoff. We need a younger kicker. Retreads who are old don't hold up for the long run. There is nothing wrong with spending a later round pick on a kicker. Although it seems unlikely now.

How are you not working in the nfl

He's been asked to interview many times, but he complains about the time being too early, the flight too long, and the money not being enough for his considerable skill

Originally posted by BayArea:
I found the posts on the Browns board very amusing. They love this guy big time and are actually saying they hope we can get him a ring since they couldn't get him one. Also some posts about him being a better kicker here because we have better weather than in Cleveland. I can't help feel sorry for them having had so many seasons of losing. Lebron ditched them now apparently the most loved kicker ever ditched them (lol). We thought we had it bad over the years those guys don't even know what it's like to see their team in a superbowl.

This. My wife's family is ALL Browns fans. Most of them are happy Dawson will have a chance at a ring now, but yeah, they don't even know what it feels like for their team to lift a Lamar Hunt trophy, much less a Lombardi. My brother in law always says it's because Cleveland's travel agent kept booking them through Denver in the '80's.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I'm afraid Dawson is going to fall down and break his hip or something. The dude is old.

As long as his Hoveround batteries don't run out, we're good.

Originally posted by Mayor88:
Can anyone tell me that the shortcuts GS, LNG and BLK of the table mean?

http://www.49ers.com/team/roster/phil-dawson/4a670b5a-5f1b-4d99-9e60-4efee3ee7d56/

GS = Games Started
LNG = Longest
BLK = blocked

(I think)
[ Edited by Beeker on Mar 20, 2013 at 8:33 AM ]
how is dawson on kickoffs?
why the f**k do we keep signing old ass kickers
Originally posted by baltien:

Amazing.

Just another day at the Web Zone. Filter out the noise and consider this: 7 for 7 plus 50-yard kicks; 13 for 14 40-49 yard kicks and half his games are played in Cleveland??!! Phil Dawson is nails!
Originally posted by danimal:
why the f**k do we keep signing old ass kickers

id keep hiring old kicker than kicker who miss
Share 49ersWebzone