LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 293 users in the forums

K Phil Dawson

• ace52
  • Veteran
The Dawson signing and Boldin trade are the only Niners moves I like so far this off-season.
Originally posted by Ajanke:

I shall call him Murphy

MAX HEADROOM FROM 1987 WANTS HIS HEAD BACK!!!

Originally posted by ace52:
The Dawson signing and Boldin trade are the only Niners moves I like so far this off-season.

It's hard to get super excited by the primarily ST guys (other than Dawson) signings but once our coverage unit takes a huge step up it will be huge

Don't like the Skuta signing? He appears to be a ST stud and we need one of those desperately.
lol @ people complaining. He was the AFC pro bowl kicker. He hit a perfect 20 for 20 from 40-49 yds last year, and was 7 for 7 from 50+.

In the last 2 years, hes 14 for 15 from beyond 50. This is great news. Hes 38, but good kickers can go until their mid-40's.
We needed a kicker badly. Our GM goes out and signs a damn good kicker and people are complaining because we didn't use one of our draft picks on one instead? Smh.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Highly doubt that. Dawson is a premier kicker in the NFL. They may bring in an undrafted guy like a Tavecchio or someone like that, but I think you can cross kicker off the list as a need at this point. Unless Dawson has some weird injury or regresses like Akers did, he should be good for 2-3 seasons.

Yep, bring in someone like Tavecchio during training camp and pre-season just to save Dawson's leg a bit. No doubt about it though Dawson is our guy hopefully for 2-3 years. Love the signing just hope he isn't getting the 3.5-4 mil I thought he would get.

And yeah people will complain because we will pay big money instead of using a 7th or get a udfa that will be the next Tucker, Zuerlein or Walsh. It's pretty rare to have 3 rookie kickers perform like that. I guess people think they grow on trees. Almost all rookie kickers struggle and there are a ton of drafted kickers that don't ever work out... those 3 are rare exceptions. Sturgis (79.5) and Hopkins (78.5) career averages are a bit lower than Dawson's 84. Part of me said will have a more explosive offense so we won't have to rely on fg's as much so we could save money and go with a rookie. Another says we will be playing a lot of tough teams including playoff games; a lot of games will come down to 3 points.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 19, 2013 at 4:47 PM ]
  • ace52
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:
Don't like the Skuta signing? He appears to be a ST stud and we need one of those desperately.

He's OK, I guess. Seems to be more versatile than Costanzo, but strictly as a ST player (and I think he will only be playing ST for us), I'm not sure if he is as good as Costanzo.
I'm fine with the pick, just not very excited.
Like the pickup! Kind of wished we could take a chance at a kicker in the draft but hey this guy is proven.

He's OK, I guess. Seems to be more versatile than Costanzo, but strictly as a ST player (and I think he will only be playing ST for us), I'm not sure if he is as good as Costanzo.

If he's playing beyond special teams we've got problems

In my mind Stuka is the upgrade over Gooden and Dahl an upgrade over McBath. I'm still hoping we get Grant back
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Mar 19, 2013 at 4:38 PM ]

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
We needed a kicker badly. Our GM goes out and signs a damn good kicker and people are complaining because we didn't use one of our draft picks on one instead? Smh.

i am surprised someone is not running around like a crazy person trying to put together a video package of the two kicks he missed in order to justify the fact this was a bad signing
I love this pickup. A very consistent and reliable kicker. NICE!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Like the pickup! Kind of wished we could take a chance at a kicker in the draft but hey this guy is proven.
we may have other fish to fry with our draft picks and besides,, you always feel better with the vet kicker who has the proven track record, lets say you sign a rookie who does well in pre season and then s**ts down his legs in the first regular season game. then you are screwed and are running around trying to find billy cundiff
Hard to get hyped about a kicker, but Dawson is solid and will be an upgrade over Akers.

My brother the Cleveland Browns fan was dreading this. Sucks to be him.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

he fills a valuable spot, special teams and will not hurt you if he has to play inside backer. those are the little things that make up the big things kid
Share 49ersWebzone