LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

Donte Whitner aka Hitner

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Goldson could have been holding back Hitner ?

There is definitely better communication between Reid and Whitner. Two highly intelligent and instinctive players. Can't recall many instances where there has been a coverage breakdown in the back end this year. There were quite a few when Goldson was back there. Not taking anything away from Dashon because he's a playmaker, but a bit of a gambler too.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Does he get a new contract at the end of the year? Can we afford it?

I think it solely depends on how much he wants. We can rest assured thw FO is exploring his contract. I doubt he gets one. He seems like Sopo/RJF all over again.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Goldson could have been holding back Hitner ?

I think he just has better.Chemiatry with Reid.

early in the season..i think Hitner gave kudos to Reids ability of understanding in game play calling/Adjustments
early in the season..i think Hitner gave kudos to Reids ability of understanding in game play calling/Adjustments

It was his note taking. Apparently he could write his own textbook. Reid gets it though. I'm worried if Whitner left.our secondary.would lose continuity but something tells me Reid could handle it and that someone a litte taller more physical would be an upgrade

It was his note taking. Apparently he could write his own textbook. Reid gets it though. I'm worried if Whitner left.our secondary.would lose continuity but something tells me Reid could handle it and that someone a litte taller more physical would be an upgrade

we all would like a bigger faster replacement...but sometimes you get what you want...then find out the other guy had more heart

Hoperfully we can strike gold againg with another safety in the future
Good to see that no one's calling for Whitner's head anymore. He may have had some busted coverages last season, but he's a solid vet. Always has been. When Reid ultimately becomes a perrenial Pro Bowler, he'll have his time playing next to Hitner to thank for a lot of his devlopment.
I want this guy back on the team next year. Love his leadership. Very good spokesperson for the team. Hopefully they can get something done.
I want this guy back on the team next year. Love his leadership. Very good spokesperson for the team. Hopefully they can get something done.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"Pay that man!"
Baalke should've had a contract in hand when Whitner came off the field in that series he blew up the left side. That s**t was incredible
http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/49ers-Whitner-has-improved-on-pass-coverage-5024848.php

Not sure if posted yet
[ Edited by b9er37 on Dec 1, 2013 at 7:48 PM ]
How much would it take to resign him? AB... need some input.

Originally posted by b9er37:
http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/49ers-Whitner-has-improved-on-pass-coverage-5024848.php

Not sure if posted yet

Great article.
how much is it to franchise him..? trying to think of a safety who was franchised and only one is jarius bird I can think of..
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jersey49er:
how much is it to franchise him..? trying to think of a safety who was franchised and only one is jarius bird I can think of..

7 or 8 mill maybe more now that players like Goldson got paid last spring. not worth it -- we could lock him up long term for far less per year.
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by jersey49er:

7 or 8 mill maybe more now that players like Goldson got paid last spring. not worth it -- we could lock him up long term for far less per year.
I completely forgot goldson was franchised by us before he signed with tampa..whtner is 28 how long of a deal would you give him..id offer no more than 3
Does he get a new contract at the end of the year? Can we afford it?

I think it solely depends on how much he wants. We can rest assured thw FO is exploring his contract. I doubt he gets one. He seems like Sopo/RJF all over again.

I don't think it's the same. Whitner is a Pro-Bowl caliber player. Soap and RJF aren't even close. I hope we can resign him, but I'm not sure if we'd be able to afford him.
Share 49ersWebzone