There are 379 users in the forums

Garrett Celek TE

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GEEK:
I still think we look for a receiving threat at TE even with a resigning. Maybe an undersized guy like Cajuste from Stanford. That rounds out our TE unit very well. Celek, Bell, McDonald and a rookie paired with our IR/PS guys from last year.

No matter what, you need guys that can block well. I think Kelly tried to make do in Philly, I dont think he'll be as willing to sacrifice with the 49ers. If youre going to run up tempo, your TEs need to be able to block and need to be able to catch to stay on the field.

I think McDonald has the potential to be a prototypical TE in Kelly's offense. Athletic, very good blocker, can pick up yards in the open field...he just needs to focus more consistently. If he can improve his catching, he could be a real weapon.
Originally posted by Niners418:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7982/garrett-celek

ESPN's Adam Caplan reports the 49ers and free agent TE Garrett Celek are "close to finalizing" a tong-term contract.

Much like his older brother, Eagles TE Brent Celek, Garrett is more of a block-first tight end. He blocked on 242 of his 407 offensive snaps last season, catching 19 passes for 186 yards (9.8 YPR) and three touchdowns. Celek and Vance McDonald could be the tight-end duo for coach Chip Kelly. Feb 17 - 2:34 PM

sounds good to me one less position to worry about this upcoming year IMO.

Good move. Celek's a solid player. I'm not against upgrading obviously but I feel good about Celek, VMac, Bell, and Busta going into the season next year.

This. Now we just need to sign Ian Williams and perhaps Boldin, if Chip wants.

That's the best part of rebuilding and starting new (young core); you don't have many backbreaking (if any) contracts you need to shell out like many teams have. Hell, we can even extend a few players too and be proactive.
I think McDonald is primed for a breakout year. He has struggled with drops through his first few seasons, but he looked more comfortable in the second half of last season like something clicked. Look at Vernons trend his first few years... very similar statistically.. Then Vernons breakout year was year 4!!!! I think McDonald is more than capable of hauling in 48 + catches 600 + yards and 6 + Tds in this offense!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Better than Vance but then again who isn't.
Originally posted by susweel:

Trolololol
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Trolololol

He's actually speaking the truth
I think Celek is better pass catcher but I still think Vance has more upside and athleticism.
  • JEP83
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:
I still think we look for a receiving threat at TE even with a resigning. Maybe an undersized guy like Cajuste from Stanford. That rounds out our TE unit very well. Celek, Bell, McDonald and a rookie paired with our IR/PS guys from last year.

Not quite entirely sure this is going to happen. Neither Receiver or TE have a great draft class. This all around isn't a great draft class but there are some gems. I dont think drafting a TE is a necessity at all. I do like the long term deal with Celek. He wont blow the doors off anyone but he is pretty good at blacking and pass catching....rout running a little different but each thin can be coached up.

Solid to lock him down.....worry about O Line and D Line.
Good to see the best TE on the 49ers getting locked up.
Hope he stays healthy

Maybe Vernon, but that's it.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Trolololol

Yup. Vance stinks.

McDonald is a better blocker, better route runner, more athletic and a better YAC threat. He hadnt seen any sort of consistent reps in the passing game until late last season and he played very well at times. His biggest issue is improving his focus and consistency.

Fundamentally there is nothing wrong with his receiving, he attacks the ball outside his body, he just needs to improve his concentration. If he can do that, he's the ideal TE weapon for a Kelly offense. It certainly isnt impossible, we've seen both VD and Walker improve dramatically in terms of catching the ball, McDonald just has to work it out for himself.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 17, 2016 at 2:53 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

McDonald is a better blocker, better route runner, more athletic and a better YAC threat. He hadnt seen any sort of consistent reps in the passing game until late last season and he played very well at times. His biggest issue is improving his focus and consistency.

Fundamentally there is nothing wrong with his receiving, he attacks the ball outside his body, he just needs to improve his concentration. If he can do that, he's the ideal TE weapon for a Kelly offense.

Oh you mean the bad hands that was on his college scouting report. Those same bad hands he hasn't improved at all in the nfl. I'm no expert but catching the damn is kind of important at his position. A TE that can't catch is as bad Dlineman that doesn't get sacks, but I guess some tend to like those type of players.
Share 49ersWebzone