There are 221 users in the forums

Craig Dahl

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by VANiner:
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/1/11/3865382/heres-craig-dahls-2012-season-through-gifs

for anyone who actually thinks dahl would be a good starter.... enjoy
Wow...we are getting worse at the free agent game every year. Waiting around for scraps while the real teams sign impact players.
Um, you just readily admitted we are not a "real" team. Good one. Who do you consider "real" teams? Miami, Cleveland, Tennessee? Any other teams you want to throw in there who have spent wildly in free agency? You are the type of person that will only be satisfied with signing a "big" name. If it fails, and it usually does, then you decide the coach has to go. Listen, I have no idea if we will be in the SB next year, but I do know we are setting ourselves up to be in contention for numerous years. One s**t*y signing that would make you feel warm inside could throw a big wrench in our future plans. As a fan who has admitted you don't see the plan (yes, I've seen your previous posts), maybe you should just deal with the fact that you are not in the front office and basically are the equivalent of a bus driver trying to tell someone how to fly a plane.

This guy is the most negative guy on the WZ. Not worth responding to.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Its amazing hes still here.
From Walter;

"49ers sign S Craig Dahl (3 years, $5M; $800K guaranteed): B- Grade
Three years and $5 million seems a lot at first glance for Craig Dahl, but he's getting just $800,000 in guaranteed money. Dahl was a major liability in St. Louis' secondary last year, both in terms of playing in coverage and stopping the run. Still though, this is not that bad of a deal considering San Francisco is paying Dahl like a third safety. The front office is expected to address that position with at least one of its many draft picks."

I get the feeling that the 9ers are telling every FA they need to come in here and compete for their position, and the older pro bowl vets don't like hearing that. 800K is not that big of a deal and prepares them if the safety(ies) they are eyeing get drafted before their spot on the 9ers draft board.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by VANiner:
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/1/11/3865382/heres-craig-dahls-2012-season-through-gifs

for anyone who actually thinks dahl would be a good starter.... enjoy
Wow...we are getting worse at the free agent game every year. Waiting around for scraps while the real teams sign impact players.
Um, you just readily admitted we are not a "real" team. Good one. Who do you consider "real" teams? Miami, Cleveland, Tennessee? Any other teams you want to throw in there who have spent wildly in free agency? You are the type of person that will only be satisfied with signing a "big" name. If it fails, and it usually does, then you decide the coach has to go. Listen, I have no idea if we will be in the SB next year, but I do know we are setting ourselves up to be in contention for numerous years. One s**t*y signing that would make you feel warm inside could throw a big wrench in our future plans. As a fan who has admitted you don't see the plan (yes, I've seen your previous posts), maybe you should just deal with the fact that you are not in the front office and basically are the equivalent of a bus driver trying to tell someone how to fly a plane.

well, in defense if you take charles woodson's or goldson's low light and misses on plays throughout their careers i'm sure you can pull as many gifs
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Yes, he's an excellent athlete, plus:
His contract was cheap
He averaged more tackles than Goldson over the last 3 years
Durable: Started all 16 games, played ~97% of snaps 'quarterbacking' the Rams defense (who had a great defense)
Big: 6'2" 220 lbs and tough (played all of 2006 with several broken bones on BOTH hands)
Hard worker with excellent intangibles and attitude:
Smart = runs the defense / calls the plays / was high school QB / Academic All-American
Experienced veteran: Familiar with the Rams and the NFC West
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1226150

He does take the roster spot of a rookie, but the team must have hard-working guys like this who create a winning culture and atmosphere, who lead the rookies, otherwise all the rookies etc don't have good role models, they don't develop well and your team becomes a bunch of lazy head cases like the Raiders or Bengals.

I'm not really trying to put down Dahl but it's not fair to compare Goldson's tackle numbers to Dahl's because Goldson has two All Pro MLBs taking up all the tackles before he can get there.
Geez. It seems a lot of you have SHORT memories. It took about 4-5 years for Dashon Goldson to really develop, and some of you think he was the greatest safety next to Ronnie Lott. Personally, I believe that losing DG will not hurt us as much as some of you think it will. The current coaching staff is much better than we had in previous years, and Trent Baalke has proven, at least to me, that he knows how to draft for the present and the future.

I am withholding all judgement until after the draft, and maybe even until after training camp. I do admit that I have questioned some of Trent Baalke's moves, whether in free agency or the draft, but he has proven me wrong about 100% of the time. The Dahl signing to me is just adding depth to the roster. I don't foresee him being anointed as the starting free safety for the 49ers. Jim and Trent believe in making the players earn their spots on the team, whether they be rookies or veterans. The perfect case for this is Kaepernick replacing Smith as the starting quarterback. I have faith, and I will not doubt until we fail to win the West and make it to the NFC Championship Game for the 3rd year in a row.

Dan
49ers Fan in NC
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
lol rams scrub lol
I think they're going to definitely draft a safety now.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
It just came to me. Dahl is here to give inside info on how the Lambs run their schemes. Bam. Two wins is worth this contract.

I think this inside information concept is an urban myth; not real.

The NFL is not the stock market where inside information is often very important.
Harbaalke has a plan. They are obviously trying to fix the special teams and bring in depth.

What happened in 2011? and what was our record that year?

We put in Navorro Bowman over Takeo Spikes - "oh noes, the sky is falling, hes not ready..."
Aubrayo Franklin is gone - "without a NT, we are doomed"
Signed Carlos Rogers - "He was a scrub and is not going to help our secondary"
Lost Manny Lawson - "we will stink against the run..."
Lost Nate Clements - "downgrade with Rogers..."

I think Kawakami said it best, last time everyone called Baalke an idiot, he got executive of the year...

Let's all take a step back and see this signing for what it really is. Dahl is NOT being signed as THE replacement for Dashon Goldson. If anything, he is being signed as the replacement for long lost Colin Jones who they traded away before last season to the Panthers.

Dahl is being signed for depth and his special teams ability, nothing more. Baalke is trying to rebuild an area of our team that slipped last year because we lost some key contributors (Costanzo, Jones, etc.). Not one of you were concerned when they signed Dan Skuta because it is obvious that he is not being asked to replace Willis or Bowman. Call me crazy, but that is pretty obvious to me.

One last thing, if the Niners made this move AFTER the draft, I would be worried. I think they have plenty of opportunities to find the next Goldson in late April. Take a deep breath, Zoners. This is not the end of the story at FS.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

If this guy starts we're f**ked.
Not being insensitive, but isn't he color blind?
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Not being insensitive, but isn't he color blind?

If your born this way, you learn to compensate.

On a side note, I like the signing. He is a cheap way of adding somebody who is good enough to start in the nfl and at the minimum will force somebody else to out play him to start at FS. I have no problem at all with this guy competing for a starting job.
Share 49ersWebzone