LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Craig Dahl

Shop 49ers game tickets
we draft 2 safety's this year

this makes sense if we're drafting a safety high.
From those lowlights and Rams fan comments he reminds me of Mark Roman.

Don't see how we improved at all (is he really that much better than Spillman?) but just lost 1 million in cap space. Wasn't a terrible signing, but I don't see how this makes us any better than we were.
Backup for Johnathan Cyprien
3 years/5 mil. I can live with those terms for a guy that has starting experience, knowledge of the NFC West and special teams value.

I don't think it's a coincidence we made this signing after the Skuta signing. I think Baalke sees he undervalued Blake Costanzo and Colin Jones importance to our special teams. If so that's a good thing because he's not stubborn to see he made a mistake and correct it.
  • thl408
It just came to me. Dahl is here to give inside info on how the Lambs run their schemes. Bam. Two wins is worth this contract.
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
Originally posted by CdnNinerfan:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
C.J. Spillman's contract: 3 yr $4.2 million

Craig Dahl's contract : 3 yr $5 million

For the last time, THIS IS BACKUP + SPECIAL TEAMS MONEY. Dahl is not replacing Goldson, so everyone STFU about how he's not as good as Goldson. No s**t! We'll grab our replacement in the draft. Sheesh....

please resend this every hour till everyone understands that he isn't a starter

why can't he be starter? he started for the Rams the past 2 years and the rams did have a solid defense.

You have a valid point.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/1/11/3865382/heres-craig-dahls-2012-season-through-gifs

for anyone who actually thinks dahl would be a good starter.... enjoy
Wow...we are getting worse at the free agent game every year. Waiting around for scraps while the real teams sign impact players.
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/1/11/3865382/heres-craig-dahls-2012-season-through-gifs

Wow...we are getting worse at the free agent game every year. Waiting around for scraps while the real teams sign impact players.

Yeah... getting worse... that is why the Niners were in the Superbowl last year. I hope they continue to get worse.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

Yeah... getting worse... that is why the Niners were in the Superbowl last year. I hope they continue to get worse.

Originally posted by thl408:
It just came to me. Dahl is here to give inside info on how the Lambs run their schemes. Bam. Two wins is worth this contract.

Actually a decent kicker would have been worth those two wins

Um, you just readily admitted we are not a "real" team. Good one. Who do you consider "real" teams? Miami, Cleveland, Tennessee? Any other teams you want to throw in there who have spent wildly in free agency? You are the type of person that will only be satisfied with signing a "big" name. If it fails, and it usually does, then you decide the coach has to go. Listen, I have no idea if we will be in the SB next year, but I do know we are setting ourselves up to be in contention for numerous years. One s**t*y signing that would make you feel warm inside could throw a big wrench in our future plans. As a fan who has admitted you don't see the plan (yes, I've seen your previous posts), maybe you should just deal with the fact that you are not in the front office and basically are the equivalent of a bus driver trying to tell someone how to fly a plane.
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
maybe coach sees something in this kid. Reports were that secondary coach would sit down and watch tape together during the interview process. Maybe they feel Dahl does have talent and they can coach him up?

Some things to get excited about Dahl:

combine results from 2007:
runs 4.55s 40
best 3 cone drill at 6.69s
best 20 yard shuttle at 4.26s
best broad jump at 122
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/combine/_/id/10619/craig-dahl

seems like a terrific athlete

in 2012 had tons of tackles 78 total (5th best on team), 2 pass defense, 1 int

Yes, he's an excellent athlete, plus:
His contract was cheap
He averaged more tackles than Goldson over the last 3 years
Durable: Started all 16 games, played ~97% of snaps ‘quarterbacking' the Rams defense (who had a great defense)
Big: 6'2" 220 lbs and tough (played all of 2006 with several broken bones on BOTH hands)
Hard worker with excellent intangibles and attitude:
Smart = runs the defense / calls the plays / was high school QB / Academic All-American
Experienced veteran: Familiar with the Rams and the NFC West
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1226150

He does take the roster spot of a rookie, but the team must have hard-working guys like this who create a winning culture and atmosphere, who lead the rookies, otherwise all the rookies etc don't have good role models, they don't develop well and your team becomes a bunch of lazy head cases like the Raiders or Bengals.
Originally posted by kentc1978:
Originally posted by thl408:

Actually a decent kicker would have been worth those two wins

Plus with good special teams (see: Dahl) probably would have won the superbowl
Originally posted by socalniner:
this makes sense if we're drafting a safety high.

You should never draft high
Share 49ersWebzone