There are 377 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers sign Craig Dahl to 3 year deal

Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
I think Dahl was only signed to rat on how the Rams read the 9ers offensive plays last year.

You don't pay him 3 yrs, 5 million for that. We could have waited and probably got him on a cheap 1 year deal. He's ok on ST and a backup at both safety spots but you don't want him starting. I think we overpaid but at least he has experience and can play both spots and play ST. Plus yeah was a bonus he knew the Rams.
what has he done this season?
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Given up massive plays. It's crazy. The very first play Reid goes out in the Hawks game and this game, they go right after Dahl and torch him for 50+ yard completions. The guy is so insanely bad.
Originally posted by Disp:
Given up massive plays. It's crazy. The very first play Reid goes out in the Hawks game and this game, they go right after Dahl and torch him for 50+ yard completions. The guy is so insanely bad.

He just takes some truly terrible angles in pursuit, I don't understand it at all, no excuse for a pro level safety to screw up that much.
The Rams were lulzing their asses off when we gave him that deal.
The Niners front office are usually on point with players then Dahl and KW come along and make me wonder "WTF were they thinking?".
Originally posted by pdizo916:

blocked the punt in the seattle game
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
he's physically/athletically inferior; doesn't belong in the nfl any more.
I got alot of s**t, I usually do around here..lol, but yeah when we first signed I pointed out that I just don't want to take the chance of him having to step in...regardless if its if the signing is for special teams.

I just never believed in over looking previous horrible performance, just for "vet experience".

let me ask you...would you rather have a Vet who has shown WITH his "Vet Experience" was STILL making bone headed mistakes? (like when Dahl was with the Rams and again is still doing with us)....over other potential young unproven guys competing against each other and finding the best one.

Craig Dahl seems like a cool level headed dude, from interviews I've seen. But on the field man, I think he was just going to make this team no matter what when we signed him in the offseason with that contract....and with us having a rookie Free Safety.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 21, 2013 at 3:51 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by xcfan:
he's physically/athletically inferior; doesn't belong in the nfl any more.

he has been very very very good on special teams and he is a vet back up safety. sure he is not like the kid but for him to be a back up and a great special teams player is not tragic either
It was insurance in case Reid turned out to be a bust. Fortunately, Reid is the love child of Ronnie Lott and Merton Hanks. Dahl has played well in ST and given Reid competition in camp.
Reid was money from the get go, I certainly like him back there instead of DG, who was a penalty magnet at times. Same hit, less Sh**. Dahl was obviously preventive measures for Reid and I would be surprised if he sees anything from the Niners after this season. I keep thinking about that play in Hagattle, where Dahl came after Wilson and Mr. Beast Mode was left WIDE open as he walked in the end zone and stopped at the line. That one really annoyed me.