Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
3yr 5 million come on guys

In Baalke we trust

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Dahl = Championship
  • buck
  • Veteran
If nothing else the signing of Craig Dahl and Dan Skuta will help our special team.

That is important.

We got hurt against the Rams in the regular season on two fake punts, and by the Ravens in the Super Bowl.
Originally posted by buck:
If nothing else the signing of Craig Dahl and Dan Skuta will help our special team.

That is important.

We got hurt against the Rams in the regular season on two fake punts, and by the Ravens in the Super Bowl.

We've been complaining about special teams all year so hopefully next season will be much improved.
From MM's chat

I think with a three-year deal, Dahl is a serious option as a starter in 2013. But, as he said, there will be competition that he faces. It could come from a low-priced veteran, someone already on the roster but, more than likely, from a rookie.
by Matt Maiocco CSN 4:07 PM
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:

That is important.

Good point, buck. This does help address our ST.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by maxsmart:
This is false, I know at least half as much as the dumbest guy on our staff!
But really there are some smart guys on the zone, and there are some dumb guys in pro football. Joe Thomas (cough) Singletary (cough) . . .

We have some really intelligent posters but most of us on here including myself are lacking in X's and O's knowledge. We follow the NFL daily but still a big difference between that and coaching/playing for 20-30 years.

Scott McCloughan = former 49ers GM and current Seahawks personnel exec never played football. He was a baseball player. Of course he sucked, heck, I was better than him:) Most good execs were not good players. Ron Wolf didn't play. Al Davis never played football but won several superbowls and is the HOF. And good players often make poor managers. Dwight Clark was our GM and he sucked bad.

Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
From MM's chat

I think with a three-year deal, Dahl is a serious option as a starter in 2013. But, as he said, there will be competition that he faces. It could come from a low-priced veteran, someone already on the roster but, more than likely, from a rookie.

Guess what? We still got CAP SPACE 4 shhhhhhhhhhh REVIS
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
From MM's chat

I'm also with Matt. He's probably our starter coming in with competition from a vet or rook.
It's clear we realized our mistake in Costanzo and Jones or at least that we recognized the decline in our ST and are doing something about it. We signed Skuta and re-signed Brock (15 tackles each last year) and then Dahl who had 10 in 2011 and 12 in 2010. Not sure how many he had last year but I think it was down but probably because he started all 16 games. Dahl might not be as good as a Costanzo or Skuta but he also provides experienced depth at FS and SS. We don't have much experience at S behind Whitner.
Barrows tweet

Hearing Dahl's deal is 3 years for $5M with $800K to sign. That certainly doesn't preclude the team from signing Charles Woodson. However...… from everything I'm hearing about Dahl – smarts, knowledge of division – it sure sounds like he'd be a good mentor for a high draft pick
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Scott McCloughan = former 49ers GM and current Seahawks personnel exec never played football. He was a baseball player. Of course he sucked, heck, I was better than him:) Most good execs were not good players. Ron Wolf didn't play. Al Davis never played football but won several superbowls and is the HOF. And good players often make poor managers. Dwight Clark was our GM and he sucked bad.

Players obviously learn a lot X's and O's playing in the NFL. None of us here have done that; you don't learn too much in high school. A few probably played division 2 or 3 college ball. As for the execs yeah a lot of them didn't play or play well but they spent their whole lives around coaches and probably started as interns and all that stuff and worked their way up learning the entire time. Not many on here are coaches (besides the pee wee level). Maybe 1 or 2 high school coaches. Still big difference between high school and pros. Not saying the average joe can't read and study x's and o's but very few people are into that. Most are into just following of the NFL itself. We may watch the game but few break down the game and the ones that do probably don't break down all the schemes, coverages, formations, etc ,etc.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 16, 2013 at 5:27 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone