There are 52 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers sign Craig Dahl to 3 year deal

Baalke deserves our trust...but this is a bad signing if he is meant to replace Goldson. Especially with Kerry Rhodes still available.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
I don't really think any of what was said was inflammatory. Just two guys attempting to justify their opinions.

I think Phoenix is 100% correct in his assertion that the side who trusts Baalke is more credible. Baalke has certainly earned our trust.

Everyone going into panic mode all the time on here does grow tiresome, no?

It does get tiresome but its no more then a pipe dream to hope one goes into a frenzy during free agency, knee jerk reactions happen.
Originally posted by Black24Razor:
Baalke deserves our trust...but this is a bad signing if he is meant to replace Goldson. Especially with Kerry Rhodes still available.

Hes not here to replace Goldson, Im pretty sure hes here to replace Spillmans backup/st's position so CJ can focus on starter duties.

As I mentioned before, Goldson played key roles on special teams and defense. I think Baalke's plan is to use multiple players to replace Goldson. Dahl will handle his special teams duties as well as provide depth at both safety spots, and they will either sign a veteran free safety to be a starter, or are confident going with someone already on the roster such as Spillman or Robinson to compete with a draft pick.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

Hes not here to replace Goldson, Im pretty sure hes here to replace Spillmans backup/st's position so CJ can focus on starter duties.

Or Darcel McBath, but I doubt it since hes one of Donatells favorites.
I think this signing pushes S up the list on our draft priorities.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Yes, he's terribly slow: Dahl 40 time: 4.53; Goldson 40 time: 4.61

Yea people just open their mouth without having any substance. He also had more tackles than Goldson. People just need to chill out. Safeties aren't flying off the market. Dahl and Skuta are clearly depth and ST. Wait till the end of FA to start panicing. Seriously it's ridiculous. THE FRONT OFFICE IS SMARTER THAN YOU so please.just give it a rest.

"Dahl is a true free safety who played "in the box" a league-low 11 percent of the time."
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/15/2013-free-agency-live-blog-day-4/
So he had more tackles than Goldson but as only was "in the box" 11 percent of the time. That seems to me that he game up a lot in coverage and had to make the tackle?
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Yes, he's terribly slow: Dahl 40 time: 4.53; Goldson 40 time: 4.61

Yea people just open their mouth without having any substance. He also had more tackles than Goldson. People just need to chill out. Safeties aren't flying off the market. Dahl and Skuta are clearly depth and ST. Wait till the end of FA to start panicing. Seriously it's ridiculous. THE FRONT OFFICE IS SMARTER THAN YOU so please.just give it a rest.

They hate him because he's white and undrafted. Racists. But there is evidence he could be OK:
Goldson averaged 72 total tackles the last 3 years.
Dahl averaged 75 total tackles the last 3 years
Probably signed for cheap
Started all 16 games, played ~97% of snaps ‘quarterbacking' the Rams defense who had a great defense
Athletic: 4.53 40 time / 35" vertical / track star
Big: 6'2" 220 lbs
Agile: ran the fastest 60 yard shuttle run at the combine (6.69)
Excellent special teamer
Excellent intangibles and attitude: "I'm always open for competition," Dahl said he's OK if they sign Woodson, Reed or others.
Smart = can run the defense / called the plays / / was high school QB /
Tough: played all of 2006 with broken bones on both hands
Familiar with the Rams and the NFC West
Experienced veteran
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1226150
[ Edited by maxsmart on Mar 16, 2013 at 3:57 PM ]
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

I think we take best available S at 34. I hope 31 is packaged to move up ahead of the Rams 2nd pick to grab Tavon.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I screwed up earlier. Dahl has played SS and special teams throughout his career, and McBath was non-tendered. It does seem Dahl may be here to replace McBath.

FS: Woodson/High Draft Pick... Spillman
SS: Whitner... Dahl... Robinson/Draft Pick

I think this, along with the Skuta signing, is the front office acknowledging the need to upgrade our coverage units.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Mar 16, 2013 at 3:56 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

How does it push it, if anything it lowers it. But no doubt we will still draft a Safety high, its just a matter of who's there. I'm on the Eric Reid and Phillip Thomas bandwagon. Also would love to get Robert Lester in the later rounds. You see, have no fear if Reed or Woodson aren't hear!!!

McBath is a free agent.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:

I screwed up earlier. Dahl has played SS and special teams throughout his career, and McBath was non-tendered. It does seem Dahl may be here to replace McBath.

FS: Woodson/High Draft Pick... Spillman
SS: Whitner... Dahl... Robinson/Draft Pick

I think this, along with the Skuta signing, is the front office acknowledging the need to upgrade our coverage units.

Oh sorry bout that, I thought McBath was still signed.
Originally posted by maxsmart:
They hate him because he's white and undrafted. Racists. But there is evidence he could be OK:
Goldson averaged 72 total tackles the last 3 years.
Dahl averaged 75 total tackles the last 3 years
Probably signed for cheap
Started all 16 games, played ~97% of snaps 'quarterbacking' the Rams defense who had a great defense
Athletic: 4.53 40 time / 35" vertical / track star
Big: 6'2" 220 lbs
Agile: ran the fastest 60 yard shuttle run at the combine (6.69)
Excellent special teamer
Excellent intangibles and attitude: "I'm always open for competition," Dahl said he won't flinch if the 49ers continue to pursue Woodson, Reed or others.
Smart = can run the defense / called the plays / / was high school QB /
Tough: played all of 2006 with broken bones on both hands
Familiar with the Rams and the NFC West
Experienced veteran
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1226150

Wut!

How does it push it, if anything it lowers it. But no doubt we will still draft a Safety high, its just a matter of who's there. I'm on the Eric Reid and Phillip Thomas bandwagon. Also would love to get Robert Lester in the later rounds. You see, have no fear if Reed or Woodson aren't hear!!!

What I meant is there is still a glaring hole at a starting S, where if we signed Reed or Woodson, then we'd have our starter. I'm with you on the Eric Reid and Phillip Thomas bandwagons though!