There are 80 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

A interesting trend from the front office

How did I wind up with a double post when I only posted once? Weird!
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Mar 15, 2013 at 1:49 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
OP is on to something. Many of our recent free agent signings were former 1st round picks. Rogers, Whitner, Edwards, Moss, Dorsey.

Baalke definitely keeps tabs on former 1st rounders, especially those who didn't quite live up to expectations with their original teams. That allows him to pick up a physically talented player for cheap, and allow our top notch coaching staff to cultivate that talent.

Woodson and Asomugha have been outstanding players in the past, it's just a matter of how much they have left in the tank.

My thoughts exactly. Baalke brings them in on reasonable short term contracts, if they are young enough and perform well he extends them, if not let's them go without putting us in salary cap he'll (see Seattle in 2-3 years).
  • GORO
  • Veteran
They have scouting reports of players drafted and will use that as references such as Dorsey case where they believe that Tomsula can get the best out of him.
Also, I think the organization appeals to free agents in more ways than one. When Debartalo was owner we were a first class all the way organization. We treated our players like family and rewarded their loyalty. I have a good friend of mine that played in the league for 13 years, he always said he would've liked the to play for the 9ers because of how they treated players. Jed tries run the organization the same way as Eddie D. IMO this is a reason we are able to get guys to sign sometimes at below market value.
Nothing happened yet?! Well looks like it's more pron for me
baalke is the definition of a bargain shopper. he likes to go for low risk big reward players like dorsey Asomwa and woodson
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
I still think that the 49er's are playing this waiting game with the Bucs and the Jets.

However, if they wait too long ... they could be without either Woodson or Asomugha which is NO big loss
because they can build through the draft.

It may come to the point where they can wait no longer and have to pull the trigger.

Just my gut feeling or else something would have happened by now.

Yup, everyone is playing the waiting game seeing what's going to happen to Revis. The dominoes will begin to fall as soon as Revis is traded.
well along those 1st round trend, we could bring in Kellen Winslow Jr. we need TE dude would be dirt cheap!!!! and he would be motivated to prove he can play.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
Originally posted by BayArea:
We usually go for the old ones with diminished abilities.

Other than Randy Moss who are you talking about?

Braylon Edwards and Brandon Jacobs are considered pretty old for their positions.

Braylon was 28 when we signed him.
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
I still think that the 49er's are playing this waiting game with the Bucs and the Jets.

However, if they wait too long ... they could be without either Woodson or Asomugha which is NO big loss
because they can build through the draft.

It may come to the point where they can wait no longer and have to pull the trigger.

Just my gut feeling or else something would have happened by now.

They do build through the draft but they also find cheap high quality players that can role model for the draft picks. A balance between the older and wiser players, and the younger talented players.

Ginn? Dorsey? Whitner? Rogers?

I think they have a high opinion of their own coaching staff so get guys who were once high picks and see if they can make something of them.
Originally posted by tmpluff:
well along those 1st round trend, we could bring in Kellen Winslow Jr. we need TE dude would be dirt cheap!!!! and he would be motivated to prove he can play.

Dudes knee is shot. Seattle released him
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by tmpluff:

Dudes knee is shot. Seattle released him

He was on "Coach and company" on Espn radio (so take it FWIW) Saying he got released by Seattle and New England and the moves last year were just too tough on him and his family but now he's motivated and "in shape" (altho he did sound kinda dumb, Just an Idea anyway )

Braylon Edwards and Brandon Jacobs are considered pretty old for their positions.

yeah we shelled out so much money for those losers...c'mon dude get real
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

yeah we shelled out so much money for those losers...c'mon dude get real

Who's talking about money? Wasting a roster spot on these guys was more concerning to me, but hey I'm cool with drafting guys that won't play till mid season or until someone gets injured.
[ Edited by paperplanemedia on Mar 15, 2013 at 9:03 PM ]