There are 188 users in the forums

If you had to pick ONE, Ball Hawking FS or Shutdown CB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If you had to pick ONE, Ball Hawking FS or Shutdown CB?

Corner safety isn't as important
Leon Sandcastle! The shutdown corner compresses the secondary & makes the other guys in the sceondary better!!!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by YungAce:
I would choose Ed Reed in his prime over Revis island

So would I.
there have only been a hand full of shut down CBs in the history of the NFL...

Funny thing....they can turn safeties in to ball hawks....

A shut down CB will allow a saftey to roam.

Lott was Lott because he could roam

Hanks was Hanks for the same reason.
Shutdown Corner in a heartbeat. We've really never had one. Sanders was a rental, Davis was good but no shutdown. Old Eric wright was solid. We've always lacked a shutdown CB
a Shutdown corner for sure ...having a shutdown corner on the field makes the entire secondary tougher ...remember when deion arrived , our secondary was already tough , but when he showed up , Hanks and McDonald became even more effective
Shut down corner every time. Take away the other teams #1 WR.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
i'll take the SHUT DOWN corner anytime.. that person can basically cover half of the field already..

Just look at what Deion did for us in 1994.. he alone got us to the SUPER BOWL by shutting down Alvin Harper in the NFC championship (Troy and Dallas didn't even bother looking his way) and allow the rest of the secondary to roll the coverage on Michael Irvin.
Shutdown corner.

Then again those are about as common as Unicorns.

Originally posted by 9moon:
i'll take the SHUT DOWN corner anytime.. that person can basically cover half of the field already..

Just look at what Deion did for us in 1994.. he alone got us to the SUPER BOWL by shutting down Alvin Harper in the NFC championship (Troy and Dallas didn't even bother looking his way) and allow the rest of the secondary to roll the coverage on Michael Irvin.

Brilliant move by Seifert ....I was kind upset there was no Irvin vs Deion matchup ...but as the game went on, it was obvious the Cowboys were frustrated they couldnt get Irvin the ball as much as they wanted to , Hanks, McDonald and Davis all ganged up on him , while Deion took Harper out completely ....man to man on one side of the field , and zone on the other
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Tough call but I'd say ball hawk. A guy like Revis can be taken out of the game by not throwing to that side. A change of possession to me is always something that can drastically change outcome of game. It takes potential points from away from other team, allows you opportunity to put up points, change of field position, momentum swing, and can allow you to control the clock. Just think it adds more value then someone who only take one offensive player out of the game.
Come on dude this isn't elementary school step off with these wack threats
[ Edited by lamontb on Mar 14, 2013 at 12:30 PM ]
I'd go with Sanders in his prime over Reed in his prime anytime.
You look at a guy like Revis, Sherman (begrudgingly), Asomugha with Raiders they all can shut down half the field. A ball hawking safety won't make that type of impact for you every down. With a shutdown corner you can use the free safety to help cover with the #2 corner. Ball hawking safety can only only be in one place at a time.
Share 49ersWebzone