There are 119 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 Team Needs - Updates

Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
In my opinion TE is a greater need than NT. NT's don't play alot because we love to play nickle packages.

It's been said a hundred times - fix the d line and the secondary will take care of itself.
I think every single position needs quality depth. No more starters.
Originally posted by Beeker:
In my opinion TE is a greater need than NT. NT's don't play alot because we love to play nickle packages.

It's been said a hundred times - fix the d line and the secondary will take care of itself.

I'm talking about the need for a TE, obv. secondary is our greatest need.

Pick 31- TE- Zach Ertz
Pick 34 Margus Hunt

or

Pic 31- Datone Jones
Pick 34- Ertz, Eifert or escobar

Fix D Line plus Delanie Walkers replacement.
Originally posted by 9erred:

Pick 31- TE- Zach Ertz
Pick 34 Margus Hunt

or

Pic 31- Datone Jones
Pick 34- Ertz, Eifert or escobar

Fix D Line plus Delanie Walkers replacement.

I'm seeing a lot of Jesse Williams at #31 now ....
With you Beeker - DLine at the top of the list!

Agree with you now! Dropped to second level now (although the bigger RB's seemed to gash us pretty good so if we can get a more prototypical two-gap NT who can also help collapse the step-up lane, teams would continue to focus on the pass playing into our press, physical coverage (now) and pass rush!

All: Updates have been added...
Originally posted by pdizo916:
I think every single position needs quality depth. No more starters.

rotate everyone!
I'd say the only starting spot we need to fill is FS and possibly NT. #2 TE as well since it's basically a starting spot with how much we use 2 TE's. Everything else is depth for this year and potential starters down the road.

Free agents for after this year:
Brown, Whitner, Justin Smith, Dawson, McCoy, Tolzien, Cox, Boldin, Williams, Manningham, Goodwin, Dixon, Dobbs, Tukuafu, Haralson, McBath, Moore, Wilhoite, Hastings, etc.

Expect a lot of these guys to be gone. We will need depth to replenish the roster.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I'd say the only starting spot we need to fill is FS and possibly NT. #2 TE as well since it's basically a starting spot with how much we use 2 TE's. Everything else is depth for this year and potential starters down the road.

Free agents for after this year:
Brown, Whitner, Justin Smith, Dawson, McCoy, Tolzien, Cox, Boldin, Williams, Manningham, Goodwin, Dixon, Dobbs, Tukuafu, Haralson, McBath, Moore, Wilhoite, Hastings, etc.

Expect a lot of these guys to be gone. We will need depth to replenish the roster.

Knowing the aforementioned, how would you arrange your priorities in this draft, off season (e.g. sign certain players to LT extensions, etc.), etc.?
^^^ Updated the great news about Anthony Davis! Our FO rules...
Originally posted by NCommand:
Knowing the aforementioned, how would you arrange your priorities in this draft, off season (e.g. sign certain players to LT extensions, etc.), etc.?

Sorry, didn't see your question yesterday. I'll throw out some thoughts:

I figured Anthony would get signed. Not saying we will have to choose between him and Iupati but if we did I am not surprised it's Anthony. Iupati will be 26 in May, Davis will be 24 in October so he's about 2 1/2 years younger than him. I felt Iupati would be slightly cheaper but I think Anthony is the better player and RT is harder to find than LG. If we wanted to we could probably plug Boone in at LG (probably cheaper as well) and draft a RG or fill it in with Looney/Kilgore. Boone is killing it at RG; probably could be just as good at LG. Just my opionion but RG is probably the easiest of the 5 to fill. The way the FO is going though they are signing only he best players. We might try to work something out with him; not sure we can afford it but I would give him like 5 years, 30-32 million or so but he could hit FA in a few years and get 50 million. Side note I actually think Iupati dropped off from 2011 and possibly even his rookie year. That's not really a negative just means he was that good.

As for 2013 FA's I would tag Justin or have him sign a 1 year deal after this season. Some might say 2 or 3 but too risky. We will see how he does but he dropped off last year but that's expected compared to 2011 which was remarkable. I don't see him wanting to go anywhere else so we should have the upper hand. Besides Justin the only 2013 FA that I really want back is Brown. He's very underrated IMO however he would be 29 by that time so obviously the price would have to be right and it would have to be a short deal (2-3 years). Just like all these guys he can get more elsewhere, depends on if he wants to win or not. I think Culliver will be our #1 or 2 soon. Rogers is probably gone after this year. We will probably draft a CB high (1st?) after this season. Not sure there is room this year for a CB.

Tolzien and Colt will be question marks... I think one could stay. Dawson would be a 1 year deal if he does well this year. Manningham/Williams... doubt we keep both and might not even keep 1. Both nice guys to have... if he can return healthy I would take Manningham for a reasonable price. Don't see Whitner being back. I think we move on and draft a SS this year or next. He's really regressed this year and he has lost a step. Good guy, good tackler, good leader and good in run support but he got beat a lot in coverage. Dobbs, Tukuafu, McBath, Moore, Hastings might not even make the team this year, no worries bout re-signing IMO. Dixon could be replaced by Jewel Hampton... has he ever played ST? On the other had we could re-sign Dixon since he is a good locker room guy, brings energy and is a better short yardage back than he use to be. I don't think he is much of a ST player like some say. I think Wilhoite could be our 3rd ilb this year.. he had more ST tackles in 5 games than Gooden did in 16. Gooden is a solid ST, Grant is a better LB than all 3 but could go the cheap route. Already have so much tied into Willis/Bowman. Won't be looking to spend more than 3 yrs, 5 mil on Grant and if we choose Gooden probably less than that. Surprised they haven't got more interest around the league.. doesn't seem like they will be back... not because they aren't solid players but we need the cap room. Goodwin and Haralson are probably gone and we move on with the future. If Boldin does well I could see him re-signing for a 1 year deal. Cox will have to prove himself this year.. hasn't had many chances...Really minus Justin and possibly Brown we could do without all those guys. If we did bring some of the rest back I would say Boldin and/or Manningham, Tolzien or Colt and that's about it. Time to save for 2014.

As for the draft I have been thinking in the terms of we have 2 drafts to fill starting spots. SS - This year or next...DE this year or next... CB this year or next.... WR probably next...NT this year or next (unless Dorsey or Williams is the guy). Only ones we have to fill this year are FS and #2 TE. The rest are depth or future starters. So in the draft I would go at 31 and 34.... FS then #2 TE or DE... after that we can do whatever we want. We already have a an extra 2nd next year... I hope we move around and either get future picks or trade up in rounds and get some quality (over quanitity). Not saying I would trade up from 31 to 10 and give up half the draft... just saying maybe use a couple 5s to get move up in the 4th.... maybe use a 4th to move up in the 3rd... use the 6s and 7s to move up a few spots. Either that or just draft players and let the cards fall as they may. We will cut a lot of good players... just can't give everyone a chance on this team.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 7, 2013 at 5:57 PM ]
It's good to have Davis signed long term now. Now we worry about 2014 offseason, Justin, Brown, Boldin and Mario. Then 2015, Kap, Aldon(even tough he is signed thru 2015 with 5th yr option), and Iupati. Also Culliver needs to be addressed Plus contracts of Rogers, Brooks and Staley are high, might need redo on Staley with extensions for him. Brooks take pay cut unless he plays lights out in 2013 and 2014.

Also comes down to McCoy or Tolzien. Cox could be tendered as a RFA. Dobbs and Tukuafu might not make roster, hopefully with 2 new DL to be better.
[ Edited by AB83Rules on Apr 5, 2013 at 12:15 PM ]
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
It's good to have Davis signed long term now. Now we worry about 2014 offseason, Justin, Brown, Boldin and Mario. Then 2015, Kap, Aldon(even tough he is signed thru 2015 with 5th yr option), and Iupati. Also Culliver needs to be addressed Plus contracts of Rogers, Brooks and Staley are high, might need redo on Staley with extensions for him. Brooks take pay cut unless he plays lights out in 2013 and 2014.

Also comes down to McCoy or Tolzien. Cox could be tendered as a RFA. Dobbs and Tukuafu might not make roster, hopefully with 2 new DL to be better.

i think Justin and Mario should be wanting to come back and play for us no matter what. Smith will be what 35 and Mario will want to stay if Crabs leaves
Gore, AB, Frisco...thank you. Great analysis and it really helps to see more of the FO's immediate and future plans. Obviously, Baalke has a plan and signing the core guys LT is VERY smart!

I like to predict what we'll do and I'll have to mull all this info over now and predict what Baalke/FO will do next...which players we'll draft, who will we sign LT next, pick up in FA next, June 1st cuts, etc.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home