There are 168 users in the forums

2013 Team Needs - Updates

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Michael Wilhoite isn't a FA so he could get cut but no chance of another team signing him. Don't be surprised if he gets the #3 ILB spot if Gooden and Grant leave. Would be much cheaper. Those to probably want something like 2-3 years at 2-3 million a year. Gooden might take a little less but we could save some money there and Wilhoite had 10 tackles which was one more than Gooden who played 15 games compared to Wilhoite's 5.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/special-teams-category
NFL.com has them at 9 for Gooden and 7 for Wilhoite but still 10 more games with 2 more tackles leads me to believe Gooden and Grant (only 6 tackles 16 games) could be gone if they are comfortable in Wilhoite's ILB ability. Grant would probably be the better ILB but Wilhoite might be the better ST player.

From Rotoworld: Michael Wilhoite
11/30/2012: Signed a two-year, $870,000 contract. 2013: $480,000, 2014: Exclusive Rights Free Agent
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 22, 2013 at 8:36 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Michael Wilhoite isn't a FA so he could get cut but no chance of another team signing him. Don't be surprised if he gets the #3 ILB spot if Gooden and Grant leave. Would be much cheaper. Those to probably want something like 2-3 years at 2-3 million a year. Gooden might take a little less but we could save some money there and Wilhoite had 10 tackles which was one more than Gooden who played 15 games compared to Wilhoite's 5.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/special-teams-category
NFL.com has them at 9 for Gooden and 7 for Wilhoite but still 10 more games with 2 more tackles leads me to believe Gooden and Grant (only 6 tackles 16 games) could be gone if they are comfortable in Wilhoite's ILB ability. Grant would probably be the better ILB but Wilhoite might be the better ST player.

From Rotoworld:
11/30/2012: Signed a two-year, $870,000 contract. 2013: $480,000, 2014: Exclusive Rights Free Agent

Whilhoite or Grant?
Originally posted by Beeker:
Whilhoite or Grant?

Wilhoite
Whilhoite or Grant?

Wilhoite

Cool. I thought he played ST pretty darn good.
Whilhoite or Grant?

Wilhoite

Did u see grant when he was in 4 Willis, grant all the way
whatever the Niners do the pass rush needs to become much better. The rules are set up to help the passing game even with great secondary play. The one sure way to stop it is the pass rush.
Originally posted by calinig4life:
Whilhoite or Grant?

Wilhoite

Absolutely Grant played his a$$ off.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
from Crabtree thread, my future plan.

Current long term contracts.

ILB NaVorro Bowman
P Andy Lee
ILB Patrick Willis
LT Joe Staley
OLB Ahmad Brooks
TE Vernon Davis
RG Alex Boone
CB Carlos Rogers
WR A.J. Jenkins
RB LaMichael James
C/LG Joe Looney
DE Ray McDonald
FS Craig Dahl
SS Trenton Robinson
NT Ian Williams
OLB Darius Fleming

Those are signed through at least 2015-2018.

Then we have the big 5 Free Agents to be in 2015,

WR Michael Crabtree
QB Colin Kaepernick
LG Mike Iupati
RT Anthony Davis
OLB Aldon Smith

Although Aldon has a team option for 2015.

Then we may have to choose between Tarell Brown and Chris Culliver, with us drafting a CB early this or next year.

Rogers isn't gonna see his 2014 or 2015 salary, too high, so might be able to keep both Brown and Culliver.

Then we have the following I would like back as free agents in 2015.

Kendall Hunter
Bruce MIller
Daniel Kilgore
Brian Jennings

Also Justin after this season, maybe a extension this year.

We should have enough money to extend Justin, Brown/Cully, 4 of the big 5, keep the other 4 I mentioned, cut Rogers, and be set for future. At some point we can lower Vernon and Willis' base salaries, extensions, and be set even more, same with Staley. The only one in line for a big money extension is Boone.

It may come down to Davis or Iupati on the OL. If so, I go Davis. Much easier to find a LG then to quality OTs.

Also hopefully Dorsey, Skuta and Dawson pay off, and are part of the future. Dawson more so short term future. I like Dorsey as DE if Justin retires after 2013

Artfully crafted...
Jeez, AB. Neat, just really neat. Wait tho, until we end up drafting 3 starters at CB, S and DL. It could happen if 3 teams reach for a 2nd or 3rd rd Qb in rd 1, we effectively move up to #28 BPA, and that is before half our 14 draft picks are traded. That would make your job a tad harder.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Jeez, AB. Neat, just really neat. Wait tho, until we end up drafting 3 starters at CB, S and DL. It could happen if 3 teams reach for a 2nd or 3rd rd Qb in rd 1, we effectively move up to #28 BPA, and that is before half our 14 draft picks are traded. That would make your job a tad harder.

Seriously, ppl need to read his assessment. It's excellent and to the point. Our future is in good hands with AB, er, I mean Baalke and the FO!

Updated with the QB Colt McCoy signing. Missing anything fellas/ladies?
Originally posted by NCommand:
I think McCoy's due to make $1.5 million this season. Great trade: we get an experienced backup QB with some upside and potential (mobile, smart, tough but without the elite arm) at a fair salary, and it cost us, basically, a 7th rounder. If it doesn't work out and he leaves next season as a FA, we get a comp pick.

Baalke continues to exhibit great smarts. IMO.

Given the team's remaining cap room, and the need to set aside $2 million for incoming rookies, it doesn't look like we'll be shelling out big dollars for Nnamdi or Woodson. So if they want to play here they'll have to settle for a one year, $1.5 million salary, or less.

Boy, the draft can't get here soon enough.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Apr 2, 2013 at 8:48 AM ]
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I think McCoy's due to make $1.5 million this season. Great trade: we get an experienced backup QB with some upside and potential (mobile, smart, tough but without the elite arm) at a fair salary, and it cost us, basically, a 7th rounder. If it doesn't work out and he leaves next season as a FA, we get a comp pick.

Baalke continues to exhibit great smarts. IMO.

Given the team's remaining cap room, and the need to set aside $2 million for incoming rookies, it doesn't look like we'll be shelling out big dollars for Nnamdi or Woodson. So if they want to play here they'll have to settle for a one year, $1.5 million salary, or less.

Boy, the draft can't get here soon enough.

OND! Miss your regular attendance/posts!

And no kidding...can't wait for the draft. I'll be looking to you and many others for assessment!
Originally posted by calinig4life:
Whilhoite or Grant?

Wilhoite

Absolutely Grant played his a$$ off.

ya he had a great game
In my opinion TE is a greater need than NT. NT's don't play alot because we love to play nickle packages.
Share 49ersWebzone