There are 144 users in the forums

2013 Team Needs - Updates

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Puckdaddy:
Why are we so anxious to gain a so called "top tier" CB and get rid of our best cover corner (Rogers)? What has Nnamdi done as of late to make you want to release Carlos?

We can't really get rid of him b/c we'd only save $1,110,937 and acquire 5M in dead money. People are not happy with him b/c he half-assed it all year long and failed in the bigger moments (when it counted). He is abused in the slot and easily out-muscled by bigger guys. And we didn't have anyone to challenge him. He also has to play off and playing tight up at the LOS, physical, is NOT his game. After what Seattle gets away with, we may be seeing a bigger trend towards more physical and taller CB's. So, we want to add some competition with someone like Nnamdi, Culliver, top draft pick b/c when Rogers has something to play for (i.e. big contract), he plays his ass off. Otherwise...not so much.
Updated...just need the latest and greatest salary cap update from AB...no rush.
Originally posted by BayArea:
Originally posted by Beeker:
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
Nice post NC!

What do you think we could get for Rogers and or Whitner (If anyone) in a trade? Was thinking *maybe* we could find some team that is desperate for db's? Was trying to think of ways we could part ways with them without loosing money, a 6th or a 7th round pick?

For Whitner, I'm sure we could get a half eaten banana and a cup of coffee with a cigarette butt in it.

Throw in a pair of tighty wighties or a non alcoholic beer and you got a deal.

O'Douls work for ya? I think I can scrounge a pair of tighty whities from one of the homeless folk around here. Or maybe Goodwill.
Funny how this works out. CB, S, DE, OT. Now we are in a situation where we can pick BPA and one will certainly fall in one of these , assuming we don't move up. I expect 3 or 4 picks in rd 2 or another 1st rd and we keep our 2 seconds. Real late we get maybe as many as 3 WRs, depending on how many picks we trade up with. FG kicker had to be addressed and now we can take one real late also as competition for our new FA. As for TE #3 , that has moved down the list, unless an unknown with size 6'5" ,who can jump 4 feet high, and hopefully has good hands. Also I am hoping for a WR, 6'5" to 6'7" who can jump, cover, and be converted into our left S. We lost goldson who was a great tackler but neither our L CB nor our L Safety could stop the jump ball on the sideline pass. We won't miss goldson $9mil /yr and good tackling, because he couldn't stop the jump ball pass on the Lt sideline....and that beat us in the SB. Our FO guys know this way better than we do. I am still intrigued at drafting a really tall WR to convert to S on Lt side.

Nice post COmmand, as usual.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Funny how this works out. CB, S, DE, OT. Now we are in a situation where we can pick BPA and one will certainly fall in one of these , assuming we don't move up. I expect 3 or 4 picks in rd 2 or another 1st rd and we keep our 2 seconds. Real late we get maybe as many as 3 WRs, depending on how many picks we trade up with. FG kicker had to be addressed and now we can take one real late also as competition for our new FA. As for TE #3 , that has moved down the list, unless an unknown with size 6'5" ,who can jump 4 feet high, and hopefully has good hands. Also I am hoping for a WR, 6'5" to 6'7" who can jump, cover, and be converted into our left S. We lost goldson who was a great tackler but neither our L CB nor our L Safety could stop the jump ball on the sideline pass. We won't miss goldson $9mil /yr and good tackling, because he couldn't stop the jump ball pass on the Lt sideline....and that beat us in the SB. Our FO guys know this way better than we do. I am still intrigued at drafting a really tall WR to convert to S on Lt side.

Thanks...big emphasis on ST the early going and the Boldin signing is huge. So now, I have the following holes/priorities.

Top tier S
Top tier DE
Top tier CB
Top tier NT
Second TE
Second T
C
Second OLB
WR/KR
Second QB
PK/ST
Originally posted by NCommand:

Thanks...big emphasis on ST the early going and the Boldin signing is huge. So now, I have the following holes/priorities.

Top tier S
Top tier DE
Top tier CB
Top tier NT
Second TE
Second T
C
Second OLB
WR/KR
Second QB
PK/ST

If we can get all of those in one draft...

... Baalke!
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Top tier S
Top tier DE
Top tier CB
Top tier NT
Second TE
Second T
C
Second OLB
WR/KR
Second QB
PK/ST

... Baalke!

Baalke's got this. We only need 4 top tier players and the rest are competition and improved depth and ST. And oh yeah, we have 14 picks.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Top tier S
Top tier DE
Top tier CB
Top tier NT
Second TE
Second T
C
Second OLB
WR/KR
Second QB
PK/ST

... Baalke!

Baalke's got this. We only need 4 top tier players and the rest are competition and improved depth and ST. And oh yeah, we have 14 picks.

Guess ya gotta update it again now after Dawson and Moore LOL
Upgraded ST cover units, upgraded kicker, might have lost a little on the DL but saved a lot of money, FS and TE will probably be replaced in the draft.

Higher Round Needs: FS, #2 TE, DE, CB
Mid-Late Round Needs: NT, #3 T, #3 QB, WR
Possible Needs: SS, OLB, C, 4th RB
Gore, to replace both FS and CB as top priorities, and a DE/DL right under that, it means moving up substantially in draft. Top tier CBs will be gone by #24, maybe #16, and possibly as high as #8, with 2nd tier CB in high 2nd rd. Means we have to move up for S and I am not sure there are a bunch of those...1 or 2 maybe, but not top 10. 14 picks, let's see how trent pulls this off, plus he needs another top tier at DE/DL. I still have a feeling we are going to get a 2nd tier CB in FA. At Safety, we gotta have the guy who knock down the jump ball pass on our lt sideline. Still don't know who that is....unless we draft a 6'5" unheralded WR who can jump 4' vertical, but can't catch, and switch him to FS... Be fun to see if a stork like that could actually become the FS we need. Goldson was a great tackler, but on the jump ball sideline pass, he couldn't defend it. Heck, nobody could defend it and that is definitely our weak line against the Gonzalez's, and the remaining Raven WR. There are some others out there, and it is now known league wide, 49ers cannot stop the jumpball pass to a tall receiever, on the sideline.
If we get a 2nd tier S, that won't help us.

Gore, to replace both FS and CB as top priorities, and a DE/DL right under that, it means moving up substantially in draft. Top tier CBs will be gone by #24, maybe #16, and possibly as high as #8, with 2nd tier CB in high 2nd rd. Means we have to move up for S and I am not sure there are a bunch of those...1 or 2 maybe, but not top 10. 14 picks, let's see how trent pulls this off, plus he needs another top tier at DE/DL. I still have a feeling we are going to get a 2nd tier CB in FA. At Safety, we gotta have the guy who knock down the jump ball pass on our lt sideline. Still don't know who that is....unless we draft a 6'5" unheralded WR who can jump 4' vertical, but can't catch, and switch him to FS... Be fun to see if a stork like that could actually become the FS we need. Goldson was a great tackler, but on the jump ball sideline pass, he couldn't defend it. Heck, nobody could defend it and that is definitely our weak line against the Gonzalez's, and the remaining Raven WR. There are some others out there, and it is now known league wide, 49ers cannot stop the jumpball pass to a tall receiever, on the sideline.
If we get a 2nd tier S, that won't help us.

I don't necessarily mean trading up and getting top tier guys. It's probably going to take this draft and the next to fill needs where we need starters. I think this year FS, #2 TE, possibly DE or CB. Next year could be DE/CB, SS and NT. Maybe OLB if Haralson is gone and Fleming isn't the answer. Center if Looney/Kilgore aren't the answer. Mid and late rounds for backups.. #3 Tackle, #3 QB, 4th RB Dixon upgrade if we want, possibly ILB, etc.

I agree though we have a tough time tracking the ball in the air at CB. Of course we will want tier 1 guys but we can't fill every spot with tier 1 guys. Will have to pick and choose. We will do our best to keep the D up but let's be honest we probably won't have another 2011 D. It's becoming more of a passing league every year, we are playing tougher teams and we don't have the money to re-sign all our guys. I am confident the offense will be more explosive and we will just have to start winning some shootouts. Our style will be different... we probably won't be like the 2011 team for years to come. Side note as for FA I could still see us getting 1 or 2 more players; maybe Nnamdi or another CB yet but we will have to draft well to fill the remaining needs. FS, #2 TE, DE/CB, etc.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 19, 2013 at 5:42 PM ]
A legitimate pocket passer would be nice, I mean, if we are ever going to really run the west coast. Right?
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
A legitimate pocket passer would be nice, I mean, if we are ever going to really run the west coast. Right?

I got 'em on there! :) Thanks Beeker...

dbl
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 20, 2013 at 6:45 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone