Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 Team Needs - Updates

Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Still feel like WR is a top need.

9ers are covering it up now by getting production from other positions (like TE and FB). They might be able to get into the playoffs without addressing WR. But I they will not win in the post season without better options at WR after Boldin.

Now I know that there's a chance we could have both Manningham and Crabtree healthy by then, so maybe we'll be okay. But I'm worried that the front office is BANKING on that happening. And that's a pretty big gamble given the injuries they suffered.

9ers really should make a move and secure another solid option at WR. Come on, Nicks or Gordon!

This is almost identical to what I said as my #1 need in post #502 above...so yeah, I agree. Ha. The thing is though, are we going to PASS to anyone else not-named-Boldin-or-VD? Once again, Baldwin gets one pass his way...same with Williams in the slot and Mconald as well. That's it...one pass each. Are we EVER going to spread the ball around and/or get others involved early/often?
I think Kap had proven that he has very high standards when it comes to trusting receivers. If a player doesn't meet those standards he won't throw to them consistently. He might throw to them once, but if they drop that ball they won't see another for weeks.

But on the other hand, once a player proves himself to Kap, he will be VERY trusting trusting and throw their way a LOT.

Clearly, Boldin, Davis, and Miller have all earned Kap's trust.

Baldwin, Patton, Williams and Moore have obviously NOT earned Kap's trust. But I'm not sure that he's being unfair by not trusting them. They haven't done anything to prove they deserve they ball.

Based on how quickly Kap built trust with Boldin, I feel confident that he can do the same with another WR we bring in. But for that to happen, we need to bring in a truly talented WR.

I'm sorry but that is dumb. If he won't throw to them how could they earn his trust? He needs to spread the ball around and give players a chance to make a play. If he can only work with pro bowlers he will have a very short career.

The answer IMHO, lies is somewhere in between here. To me, it STARTS with HaRoMan and game planning. It is not hard to scheme plays to get everyone involved early and often and roll from there. One or two low percentage (deep) passes a game to a receiver not-named-Boldin-or-VD is not going to get your WR or QB into a good rhythm. Not running a WCO (built-in receiving options on every level) is killing this team right now. CK looks incredibly awkward...the timing just looks weird. It's not a two-step drop under center, back foot plants and release hitting the WR in stride. It's like CK tip-toes, waits until he sees any separation and then guns it in there as hard as he can and hopes the WR can catch it. And it's always a LOW throw to where the receiver has to dive to catch it. I'm sure this is designed to keep TO's down but it completely eliminates any chance for RAC...something that used to be a staple of our offense. Game planning, offensive philosophy, QB mechanics, types of WR routes, etc.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Brock and Brown have expiring contract this year so who do they keep? Either? Neither? Culliver, Rogers, Aso, Cox, Morris and Wright? Keep all? Are they all potential starters?

Looking forward to Baalke time!

Can we bring Cooper back? He is on fire over in KC right now...got another INT in the 4Q and is now a starter. OK, gotta let it go...sorry.

I'm with you BIG TIME here. I have no idea what is going to shape out here. If Brock continues to play well as the #3 you have to consider signing him to a big contract as a #2. Brown and Rogers a decent but continue to get torched and will be a year older...Brown is going to want big money and Rogers is already costing us big money. Hitner is going to want to stay but his contract is large esp. when you factor in all the HUGE names we'll need to sign this coming off season. He will have to go, no dubt, unless he signs for significantly less. Culliver will hopefully be back to form and VERY hungry to play with an open door for the starting position and I'm very curious to see how Eric Wright plays down this stretch...it's an audition, no doubt. Cox is secure as the #4 and ST. There will always be good press CB's on the FA market we could consider (should Brown, Rogers and Whitner all be gone)...or older veterans with something to prove and who want to play for a playoff team...draft is an option as well. Ideally, we find another Eric Reid at FS with similar intanglibles and can play SS for Whitner should we part ways...the FS and SS are interchangeable in our 3-4 and with the NFL today, you need supreme cover guys back there now. Nobody is running on our front 7 when healthy so having a box-SS is pointless these days. Then you just need to find taller, more physical CB's who can play press tightly to compete with Culliver, Brock and perhaps, Wright.
Current Interests/Needs (in order of importance IMHO) - Note that top tier = higher need & second tier = secondary need (some breathing room). If a need is labeled top tier, it could also indicate the large drop off in talent from a starter to the next-man-up.

Top Tier WR - Well, it's safe to say this has become an elevated issue. WR's: X = Jon Baldwin/Marlon Moore --- Y = Kyle Williams/Quinton Patton --- Z = Anquan Boldin/Kassim Osgood. Vernon Davis and Vance McDonald have been rarely used to help offset this issue and it appears we're hanging our hat on the health of returners, Mario Manningham and eventually, Michael Crabtree.
Top Tier T - We still need a top tier "swing T" here even with Adam Snyder. I don't even see Luke Marquardt listed on the NFI list on the official team website. Anyone know if he was cut? I'm still waiting for us to pick up a veteran LT...the "screams" of Staley should scare you!
Top Tier Cover SS - While both Reid (excellent) and Whitner (decent) have played well together, this is still a glaring need in the RZ. It's the "break" in our bend-but-don't-break, defense. We can't rely solely on the pass rush esp. in the RZ where passes are typically made less than a 3-step drop and right down the middle of the field where Willis/Bowman have underneath coverage and the S's have the over-the-top coverage. Gone are the days of the in-the-box SS. These days, you need two FS Reid's back there!
Top Kickoff Coverage Unit/Ace Kick-Punt Returner - Osgood and Spillman have been very good here which is great b/c Cox and Brock were bad to start the year. Raymond Ventrone seems to be getting better as well. Last week was our best coverage yet (after that long first return - tackling may still be an issue). Dawson is our MVP here b/c he is constantly kicking the ball out of the back of the EZ. Lee had a poor start but seems to be finding his groove now. That said, we still have NOBODY that is even remotely close to being a "dynamic returner." Some teams have TWO dynamic returners.
Top or Second Tier DE - Well, Tony Jerod-Eddie had a great play last game but is he a viable long-term backup to McDonald? Tomsula now has RDE Cornellius Carradine and NT Quinton Dial possibly coming back next week. Dobbs continues to get injured (nicked up) one way or another. After playing 4 of 5 playoff teams out of the gate and 3 power running teams, this DL is showing some holes and abuse. We have always struggled with power runnng teams. That said, glad to hear Dial is up to 350!
Top or Second Tier NT - SCHEME is the new THEME in 2013! I guess not! I thouught we'd go more 4-man DL against power running teams...not. Anyhow, Williams was a big loss but Dorsey has stepped up nicely. Dial is up to 350 pounds and could start practicing next week b/c clearly, the team can't be serious about TJE as a backup NT. We have never had a 2-gap NT who could clog both A-gaps AND help collapse the step-up lane for QB's. This is a huge need and would add about 10 more sacks to our OLB's (and help our coverage units geatly).
Top or Second Tier FB - This was a big concern of mine because we had nobody behind Bruce Miller and he is vital to our running game (and can catch). The team then cut Jason Schepler so my concern remained. But low-and-behold, Harbaugh goes out and gets "his" guy in Owen Marecic. But then imediately cuts him as well. So #$%^&*(). If Miller goes down, Gore is screwed!
Top or Second Tier CB - We risked losing Marcus Cooper and lost him; think we lucked out with Darryl Morris though (who is still hidden on our 53). Tarell Brown and Carlos Rogers are decent but get pwned by bigger, taller WR's and we seem to play a ton of them. Tramaine Brock has stepped in very nicely for Nnamdi Asomugha as the #3 and Darryl Morris seems like he'd be an ideal slot CB; Chris Culliver will be back next year and Eric Wright could start practicing with us next week. Realistically, we could cut or lose Brown, Rogers, Brock, etc. So we need a top tier CB here if he isn't already on the roster.
Second Tier C - In the end we stayed with the wiley vet, Jonathan Goodwin and his inflated salary but Daniel Kilgore put up quite the fight and personally, I think should have gotten the start; Goodwin still stuggles with getting any push in the run game and is letting DL get through. Also, Looney has been working out at LG and C and he looks, to me, much much better at C. In fact, he looks legit at C.
Third Tier TE - Harbauh got HIS man in Vance McDonald here too. At first, I thought Davis and McDonald would absolutely be a nightmare mismatch for DC's. Thus far, we've barely used McDonald (who looks great in blocking and route running; decent hands). He is a terrific RAC runner and punishes DB's. I'm still waiting for us to use Chris Harper in some fashion. I think we have the personnel here...just aren't using it IMHO.

What are YOUR needs?

Roster as of 10/20:

Note: Non-football injury (NFI) and physically unable to perform (PUP) designations, teams are allowed to begin practicing those players beginning after the sixth week (Oct. 15th) through the conclusion of the 11th weekend of games (Nov. 18th). At any time over a 21-day period after a player begins practicing, the team can activate the player to the 53-man roster.

Offense: (24)
QB (3): Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy and McLeod Bethel-Thompson
RB (4): Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James and Anthony Dixon; Marcus Lattimore (NFI)
FB (1): Bruce Miller
H-Back (0):
WR (5): X = Jon Baldwin --- Y = Kyle Williams/Quinton Patton --- Z = Anquan Boldin/Kassim Osgood; Mario Manningham & Michael Crabtree (PUP)
TE (3): Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald and Garrett Celek
OT (3): Joe Staley, Anthony Davis and Adam Snyder (Alex Boone); Luke Marquardt (NFI)
OG (3): Mike Iupati, Alex Boone and Joe Looney (Adam Snyder)
C (2): Jonathan Goodwin and Daniel Kilgore (Joe Looney)

Defense: (25)
DE (4): Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Tank Carradine and Demarcus Dobbs (Tony Jerod-Eddie)
NT (3): Glenn Dorsey, Quinton Dial and Tony Jerod-Eddie; Ian Williams (I.R.)
OLB (4): Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Dan Skuta and Corey Lemonier
ILB (4): NaVorro Bowman, Michael Wilhoite, Nathan Stupar and Patrick Willis; Nick Moody (I.R. designated to return)
CB (6): Tarell Brown, Carlos Rogers, Perrish Cox, Tramaine Brock, Nnamdi Asomugha and Darryl Morris; Eric Wright (NFI) & Chris Culliver (I.R.)
S (5): Donte Whitner, Eric Reid, Craig Dahl, C.J. Spillman and Raymond Ventrone

Special Teams: (3)
PK: Phil Dawson
P: Andy Lee
LS: Kevin McDermott

Welcome back Aldon!
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 31, 2013 at 2:30 PM ]

Current Interests/Needs (in order of importance IMHO) - Note that top tier = higher need & second tier = secondary need (some breathing room). If a need is labeled top tier, it could also indicate the large drop off in talent from a starter to the next-man-up.

Top Tier WR - Well, it's safe to say this has become an elevated issue. WR's: X = Jon Baldwin/Marlon Moore --- Y = Kyle Williams/Quinton Patton --- Z = Anquan Boldin/Kassim Osgood. Vernon Davis and Vance McDonald have been rarely used to help offset this issue and it appears we're hanging our hat on the health of returners, Mario Manningham and eventually, Michael Crabtree.
Top Tier T - We still need a top tier "swing T" here even with Adam Snyder. I don't even see Luke Marquardt listed on the NFI list on the official team website. Anyone know if he was cut? I'm still waiting for us to pick up a veteran LT...the "screams" of Staley should scare you!
Top Tier Cover SS - While both Reid (excellent) and Whitner (decent) have played well together, this is still a glaring need in the RZ. It's the "break" in our bend-but-don't-break, defense. We can't rely solely on the pass rush esp. in the RZ where passes are typically made less than a 3-step drop and right down the middle of the field where Willis/Bowman have underneath coverage and the S's have the over-the-top coverage. Gone are the days of the in-the-box SS. These days, you need two FS Reid's back there!
Top Kickoff Coverage Unit/Ace Kick-Punt Returner - Osgood and Spillman have been very good here which is great b/c Cox and Brock were bad to start the year. Raymond Ventrone seems to be getting better as well. Last week was our best coverage yet (after that long first return - tackling may still be an issue). Dawson is our MVP here b/c he is constantly kicking the ball out of the back of the EZ. Lee had a poor start but seems to be finding his groove now. That said, we still have NOBODY that is even remotely close to being a "dynamic returner." Some teams have TWO dynamic returners.
Top or Second Tier DE - Well, Tony Jerod-Eddie had a great play last game but is he a viable long-term backup to McDonald? Tomsula now has RDE Cornellius Carradine and NT Quinton Dial possibly coming back next week. Dobbs continues to get injured (nicked up) one way or another. After playing 4 of 5 playoff teams out of the gate and 3 power running teams, this DL is showing some holes and abuse. We have always struggled with power runnng teams. That said, glad to hear Dial is up to 350!
Top or Second Tier NT - SCHEME is the new THEME in 2013! I guess not! I thouught we'd go more 4-man DL against power running teams...not. Anyhow, Williams was a big loss but Dorsey has stepped up nicely. Dial is up to 350 pounds and could start practicing next week b/c clearly, the team can't be serious about TJE as a backup NT. We have never had a 2-gap NT who could clog both A-gaps AND help collapse the step-up lane for QB's. This is a huge need and would add about 10 more sacks to our OLB's (and help our coverage units geatly).
Top or Second Tier FB - This was a big concern of mine because we had nobody behind Bruce Miller and he is vital to our running game (and can catch). The team then cut Jason Schepler so my concern remained. But low-and-behold, Harbaugh goes out and gets "his" guy in Owen Marecic. But then imediately cuts him as well. So #$%^&*(). If Miller goes down, Gore is screwed!
Top or Second Tier CB - We risked losing Marcus Cooper and lost him; think we lucked out with Darryl Morris though (who is still hidden on our 53). Tarell Brown and Carlos Rogers are decent but get pwned by bigger, taller WR's and we seem to play a ton of them. Tramaine Brock has stepped in very nicely for Nnamdi Asomugha as the #3 and Darryl Morris seems like he'd be an ideal slot CB; Chris Culliver will be back next year and Eric Wright could start practicing with us next week. Realistically, we could cut or lose Brown, Rogers, Brock, etc. So we need a top tier CB here if he isn't already on the roster.
Second Tier C - In the end we stayed with the wiley vet, Jonathan Goodwin and his inflated salary but Daniel Kilgore put up quite the fight and personally, I think should have gotten the start; Goodwin still stuggles with getting any push in the run game and is letting DL get through. Also, Looney has been working out at LG and C and he looks, to me, much much better at C. In fact, he looks legit at C.
Third Tier TE - Harbauh got HIS man in Vance McDonald here too. At first, I thought Davis and McDonald would absolutely be a nightmare mismatch for DC's. Thus far, we've barely used McDonald (who looks great in blocking and route running; decent hands). He is a terrific RAC runner and punishes DB's. I'm still waiting for us to use Chris Harper in some fashion. I think we have the personnel here...just aren't using it IMHO.

What are YOUR needs?

Roster as of 11/4 - NFI players added but prior to official cuts/I.R.-moves (if any):

Note: Non-football injury (NFI) and physically unable to perform (PUP) designations, teams are allowed to begin practicing those players beginning after the sixth week (Oct. 15th) through the conclusion of the 11th weekend of games (Nov. 18th). At any time over a 21-day period after a player begins practicing, the team can activate the player to the 53-man roster.

Offense: (25)
QB (3): Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy and McLeod Bethel-Thompson
RB (4): Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James and Anthony Dixon; Marcus Lattimore (NFI)
H-Back (0):
WR (6): X = Mario Manningham/Jon Baldwin --- Y = Kyle Williams/Quinton Patton --- Z = Anquan Boldin/Kassim Osgood; Michael Crabtree (PUP)
OT (3): Joe Staley, Anthony Davis and Adam Snyder (Alex Boone); Luke Marquardt (NFI)

Defense: (27)
DE (5): Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Tank Carradine, Demarcus Dobbs and Tony Jerod-Eddie
NT (2): Glenn Dorsey and Quinton Dial; Ian Williams (I.R.)
ILB (4): Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Michael Wilhoite and Nick Moody
CB (7): Tarell Brown, Carlos Rogers, Tramaine Brock, Perrish Cox, Eric Wright, Darryl Morris and Nnamdi Asomugha; Chris Culliver (I.R.)

11/4 - Right now, we need to free up 2 spots now (@ 55) with 1 more when Crabtree returns and another if we activate OT Luke Marquardt. I added in Moody prematurely here as he is expected to be added today/tomorrow.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 4, 2013 at 12:16 PM ]
Let's take a look at the mid-way point (needs/roster):

Top Tier X & Y WR - Well, it's safe to say this remains a big issue for us; whether it's underutilization of personnel or talent alone (trust). Either way, we may never know with high hopes (and we're banking on it) of a big time return of both Manningham and eventually, Crabtree. "While San Francisco's offense has scored 31 points or more over the last five games, it has thrown for the league-worst 189.9 yards per game for the season. Anquan Boldin leads the receiving corps with 38 receptions for 551 yards. Kyle Williams is second with 11 while the remaining wideouts have combined for five catches."
Top Tier FB - This was a big concern of mine because we had nobody behind Bruce Miller and he is vital to our running game (and can catch/versatility). The team then cut Jason Schepler and Owen Marecic and tried to shop Anthony Dixon. If Miller goes down, Gore is screwed! Where Miller goes, the ball goes 90% of the time. We need a player in training here.
Top Ace Kickoff-Punt Returner - The coverage units have been removed from my list especially b/c Osgood, Morris and Spillman have been very good here which is great. Raymond Ventrone seems to be getting better as well. Dawson is constantly kicking the ball out of the back of the EZ as well (or close to it). Lee had a poor start but seems to be finding his groove now. That said, we still have NOBODY that is even remotely close to being a "dynamic returner." Some teams have TWO dynamic returners.
Top Tier Cover SS - While both Reid (excellent) and Whitner (good/better) have played well together, this is still a glaring need in the RZ. It's the "break" in our bend-but-don't-break, defense. We can't rely solely on the pass rush esp. in the RZ where passes are typically made less than a 3-step drop and right down the middle of the field where Willis/Bowman have underneath coverage and the S's have the over-the-top coverage. Gone are the days of the in-the-box SS. These days, you need two FS Reid's back there! We haven't been challenged here but with some tough games the second half and esp. in the playoffs, I still fear this is a big hole for us even with much improved play back there through the first half.
Top or Second Tier DE - Well, Tony Jerod-Eddie is decent and Tomsula has put in extra hours with NT/DE Quinton Dial and now RDE Cornellius Carradine is being mixed into the fold (don't forget Okoye for next year). Good thing, b/c Dobbs continues to get injured (nicked up) one way or another and McDonald and Smith are also constantly playing hurt themselves. Will Fangio use a better rotation now?
Top or Second Tier NT - Williams was a big loss but Dorsey has stepped up nicely and is playing through a pulled hammy and now Dial is also helping to play-and-plug. This is a huge need and would add about 10 more sacks to our OLB's (and help our coverage units geatly) if we can find that 2-gap NT who can help collapse the step-up lane while also being a brick wall in the A-gaps.
Top or Second Tier CB - We risked losing Marcus Cooper and lost him; think we with that one and kept Darryl Morris though; I have hopes that Morris will turn out to be an excellent slot CB. Tarell Brown and Carlos Rogers are having good years but will always get pwned by bigger, taller WR's and we seem to play a ton of them; we'll see them again in the playoffs too. Tramaine Brock has stepped in very nicely for Nnamdi Asomugha (likely cut) as the #3 and now we're about to see what Eric Wright has; Chris Culliver will be back next year. Realistically, we could cut or lose Brown, Rogers, Wright, etc. so we need a top tier CB here if he isn't already on the roster. Hey Baalke, how about a top notch 6'2" press CB with great upside and excellent instincts.
Top or Second Tier T - We still need a top tier "swing T" here even with Adam Snyder although he is getting plenty of snaps in the run game as an extra blocker so it's not likely he would be cold coming in off the bench. Now, is the team ready to take Luke Marquardt off the NFI list? l've been waiting for us to pick up a veteran LT all year long...the "screams" of Staley should scare any Niner fan.
Second Tier C - In the end we stayed with the wiley vet, Jonathan Goodwin and his inflated salary but Daniel Kilgore put up quite the fight and personally, I think should have gotten the start; Goodwin still stuggles with getting any push in the run game and is letting DL get through at times but he is smart. Also, Looney has been working out at LG and C and he looks, to me, much much better at C. In fact, he looks legit at C (not so much at LG).
Third Tier TE - This one is more about how we're underutilizing the 2nd and 3rd TE role than it is personnel. Harbauh got HIS man in Vance McDonald here. At first, I thought Davis and McDonald would absolutely be a nightmare mismatch for DC's. Thus far, we've barely used McDonald in the passing game (who looks great in blocking and route running thus far with decent hands). He is a terrific RAC runner and punishes DB's. We cut Chris Harper who I thought would be our true Delanie Walker and for some reason, we're using Bruce Miller in this role more.

What are YOUR needs for the second half of the season?
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 12, 2013 at 1:40 PM ]
NFI players added but prior to official cuts/I.R.-moves (if any): Note: Non-football injury (NFI) and physically unable to perform (PUP) designations, teams are allowed to begin practicing those players beginning after the sixth week (Oct. 15th) through the conclusion of the 11th weekend of games (Nov. 18th). At any time over a 21-day period after a player begins practicing, the team can activate the player to the 53-man roster.

( ) - Practicing with the team - not actived to the 53 yet

Offense: (24)
QB (2): Colin Kaepernick and Colt McCoy
RB (4): Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Anthony Dixon and (Marcus Lattimore - NFI)
H-Back (0):
WR (6): X = (Michael Crabtree)/Jon Baldwin --- Y = Mario Manningham/Quinton Patton --- Z = Anquan Boldin/Kassim Osgood
OT (3): Joe Staley, Anthony Davis, Adam Snyder (Alex Boone) and (Luke Marquardt - NFI)

Defense: (25)
DE (5): Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Tank Carradine, Demarcus Dobbs and Tony Jerod-Eddie
NT (2): Glenn Dorsey and Quinton Dial; Ian Williams (I.R.)
ILB (4): Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Michael Wilhoite and Nick Moody
CB (5): Tarell Brown, Carlos Rogers, Tramaine Brock, Eric Wright and Darryl Morris; Chris Culliver (I.R.)

[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 27, 2013 at 7:53 AM ]
dbl
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 12, 2013 at 1:50 PM ]
NC--a question to consider. At what point will the team decide it needs to completely restructure the defensive backfield around Eric Reid?

I think it may be this off-season. I could see them keeping Brock, Culliver, Wright, Morris and a top draft pick at CB; while they draft another Safety high as well--Reid, Spillman, Whitner and a high draft pick. That would give them a very young backfield, capable of covering the field and making plays at a higher level. Would also mean more mistakes than the current veterans might make. But watching Reid it is so great to see a safety who can make a mistake and then make up for it with speed and good angles to the receiver.

Then they would likely keep a couple of vets around, at a discount, to help develop the young guys--Whitner or Dahl (or Ventrone for ST)
Wow, so glad you bumped this one dtg...I need to update it anyways (roster and needs portion). This is a great question too. How special has Reid been this year? My boy just got his early Christmas Reid jersey this week. LOL. He has an eye for talent like his dad...wanted his jersey from day 1. Great role-model as well. Yeah, this secondary is going to be nuts. If (and I think we do), sign Wright to a longer contract, if Culliver comes back healthy, that's Brock, Culliver, Wright and Morris with experience in THIS defense and youth and tons of talent. The amount we'd save on the Brown and Rogers contracts would be huge as well. Now, you've touched on the big one: Whitner. He has played much much better this year with Reid. You'd almost want to see them together for at least another year. But this NFL needs not one but TWO FS's back there. Not a FS and a traditional SS (like Whitner is). It's a passing league and we are always in the dime and 4-2-5 look. The thing is, if we do resign Whitner, he is going to cost some $. Can we find another Reid next year? Reid could play the role of Whitner this year in helping a ton to teach/develop the young one. I think for Baalke, this may be even more intriguing to watch this off season than the CB position. Will he consider moving Culliver to SS just to get him on the field? You also touched on the fact that many of these guys are also ST standout coverage guys as well. I saw Baalke specifically go after taller, more physical CB's in Nnamdi and Cooper but in the end, he stayed with the shorter guys. So what do you think he will do for the SS (draft another Reid?) and CB (go bigger/taller again?) spots?
we could have used Ted Ginn
I swear, I may have been the ONLY one claiming I thought Ginn was a solid receiver and ideal for returns (obviously). I just didn't feel we utilized him (like so many others on offense) well enough (or at all). It was not a surprise to see him go to another team, get used properly and put up a fine season all around. But trust me, I was in the big time minority in this camp.
I swear, I may have been the ONLY one claiming I thought Ginn was a solid receiver and ideal for returns (obviously). I just didn't feel we utilized him (like so many others on offense) well enough (or at all). It was not a surprise to see him go to another team, get used properly and put up a fine season all around. But trust me, I was in the big time minority in this camp.

I thought Ginn's return ability justified the roster spot...and his speed at least forced the opponent to cover him deep. The team doesn't have that this year and it's one reason they are struggling...DBs can play more aggressively/tighter against the niners.

As far as the defensive backfield is concerned, I think Baalke/Harbaugh will go after a Reid-like safety who can play either position at a high level. There are a couple of guys who should be available in the first and second rounds that would be special paired with Reid. Can you imagine ten years with two Reids patrolling the 9er backfield? Wow!

But I see them also going after a top corner to solidify that position. It seems to me that they should be comfortable with: OL, RB, TE, DL, and LB. So the positions that are the least deep/talented would be, in order: WR, S, CB, QB...and then NT if they ever choose to go there.

So my guess would be:

Rd 1: S/CB/WR
Rd2: WR/CB/S/NT/C
Rd2: CB/WR/S/NT
Rd3: QB/ST/one of the above

The two positions that I want but the team doesn't seem interested in shoring up: C and NT. I don't quite get it but they seem happy with using tweeners at NT and are happy with Kilgore taking over if something happens to Goodwin.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Nov 27, 2013 at 9:38 AM ]
Sorry, I can't quote dtg but I love you strategy AND the fact that you bring up the NT position. Dawson is solid but there is no doubt, when teams have wanted to run on us, they can and have.
Sorry, I can't quote dtg but I love you strategy AND the fact that you bring up the NT position. Dawson is solid but there is no doubt, when teams have wanted to run on us, they can and have.

Thanks! I wonder if the team strategy is that they can't afford super stars at every position so they draft for depth and solid players. A NT who is a star escalates the salary totals and may be very popular in the FA market down the road...same with CBs and WRs. So perhaps they choose to bring in solid vets who will sign for less and save the super star money for the most important skill positions...QB, RB, S and pass rushers. They are near the cap without a high priced star at WR, CB, NT, and QB right now. Boldin and Crabtree are super-star-light in my opinion...boldin due to age and trade, Crabtree coming up to a big payday if he is healthy. Is it intentional or can they just not judge talent in the draft for WR and CB?

Or is it the way they play? Would a Wallace want to come to the niners as a FA? I think not! Why go to a team where he might be targeted five or six times a game and spend the day blocking? Just some thoughts that have been rattling around in my noggin!
Here is some more good news on our depth (now and for next year). "One of the reasons why rookies Tank Carradine and Quinton Dial are getting scant playing time: Jerod-Eddie and Demarcus Dobbs are giving the 49ers quality minutes when they are in the game. It will be interesting to see what happens next year when Smith, McDonald, Glenn Dorsey, Ian Williams, Carradine and Dial are all under contract. That's not to mention Lawrence Okoye, who likely will get a futures contract next month. Dobbs is scheduled to be a free agent in March." Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/12/film-review-49ers-o-line-shuffle-boldin-and-janoris-jenkins-history-dunbar-penalized-a-year-too-late.html#storylink=cpy
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home