Current Interests/Needs (in order of importance IMHO) - Note that top tier = higher need & second tier = secondary need (some breathing room). If a need is labeled top tier, it could also indicate the large drop off in talent from a starter to the next-man-up.
Top Tier WR
- Well, it's safe to say this has become an elevated issue. WR's: X = Jon Baldwin/Marlon Moore --- Y = Kyle Williams/Quinton Patton --- Z = Anquan Boldin/Kassim Osgood. Vernon Davis and Vance McDonald have been rarely used to help offset this issue and it appears we're hanging our hat on the health of returners, Mario Manningham and eventually, Michael Crabtree.
Top Tier T
- We still need a top tier "swing T" here even with Adam Snyder. I don't even see Luke Marquardt listed on the NFI list on the official team website. Anyone know if he was cut? I'm still waiting for us to pick up a veteran LT...the "screams" of Staley should scare you!
Top Tier Cover SS
- While both Reid (excellent) and Whitner (decent) have played well together, this is still a glaring need in the RZ. It's the "break" in our bend-but-don't-break, defense. We can't rely solely on the pass rush esp. in the RZ where passes are typically made less than a 3-step drop and right down the middle of the field where Willis/Bowman have underneath coverage and the S's have the over-the-top coverage. Gone are the days of the in-the-box SS. These days, you need two FS Reid's back there!
Top Kickoff Coverage Unit/Ace Kick-Punt Returner
- Osgood and Spillman have been very good here which is great b/c Cox and Brock were bad to start the year. Raymond Ventrone seems to be getting better as well. Last week was our best coverage yet (after that long first return - tackling may still be an issue). Dawson is our MVP here b/c he is constantly kicking the ball out of the back of the EZ. Lee had a poor start but seems to be finding his groove now. That said, we still have NOBODY that is even remotely close to being a "dynamic returner." Some teams have TWO dynamic returners.
Top or Second Tier DE
- Well, Tony Jerod-Eddie had a great play last game but is he a viable long-term backup to McDonald? Tomsula now has RDE Cornellius Carradine and NT Quinton Dial possibly coming back next week. Dobbs continues to get injured (nicked up) one way or another. After playing 4 of 5 playoff teams out of the gate and 3 power running teams, this DL is showing some holes and abuse. We have always struggled with power runnng teams. That said, glad to hear Dial is up to 350!
Top or Second Tier NT
- SCHEME is the new THEME in 2013! I guess not! I thouught we'd go more 4-man DL against power running teams...not. Anyhow, Williams was a big loss but Dorsey has stepped up nicely. Dial is up to 350 pounds and could start practicing next week b/c clearly, the team can't be serious about TJE as a backup NT. We have never had a 2-gap NT who could clog both A-gaps AND help collapse the step-up lane for QB's. This is a huge need and would add about 10 more sacks to our OLB's (and help our coverage units geatly).
Top or Second Tier FB
- This was a big concern of mine because we had nobody behind Bruce Miller and he is vital to our running game (and can catch). The team then cut Jason Schepler so my concern remained. But low-and-behold, Harbaugh goes out and gets "his" guy in Owen Marecic. But then imediately cuts him as well. So #$%^&*(). If Miller goes down, Gore is screwed!
Top or Second Tier CB
- We risked losing Marcus Cooper and lost him; think we lucked out with Darryl Morris though (who is still hidden on our 53). Tarell Brown and Carlos Rogers are decent but get pwned by bigger, taller WR's and we seem to play a ton of them. Tramaine Brock has stepped in very nicely for Nnamdi Asomugha as the #3 and Darryl Morris seems like he'd be an ideal slot CB; Chris Culliver will be back next year and Eric Wright could start practicing with us next week. Realistically, we could cut or lose Brown, Rogers, Brock, etc. So we need a top tier CB here if he isn't already on the roster.
Second Tier C
- In the end we stayed with the wiley vet, Jonathan Goodwin and his inflated salary but Daniel Kilgore put up quite the fight and personally, I think should have gotten the start; Goodwin still stuggles with getting any push in the run game and is letting DL get through. Also, Looney has been working out at LG and C and he looks, to me, much much better at C. In fact, he looks legit at C.
Third Tier TE
- Harbauh got HIS man in Vance McDonald here too. At first, I thought Davis and McDonald would absolutely be a nightmare mismatch for DC's. Thus far, we've barely used McDonald (who looks great in blocking and route running; decent hands). He is a terrific RAC runner and punishes DB's. I'm still waiting for us to use Chris Harper in some fashion. I think we have the personnel here...just aren't using it IMHO.
What are YOUR needs?
Roster as of 10/11:
Note: Non-football injury (NFI) and physically unable to perform (PUP) designations, teams are allowed to begin practicing those players beginning after the sixth week (Oct. 15th) through the conclusion of the 11th weekend of games (Nov. 18th). At any time over a 21-day period after a player begins practicing, the team can activate the player to the 53-man roster.
QB (3): Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy
and McLeod Bethel-Thompson
RB (4): Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James
and Anthony Dixon; Marcus Lattimore (NFI)
FB (1): Bruce Miller
H-Back (1): Chris Harper
WR (6): X = Jon Baldwin/Marlon Moore --- Y = Kyle Williams/Quinton Patton --- Z = Anquan Boldin/Kassim Osgood; Mario Manningham & Michael Crabtree (PUP)
TE (3): Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald
and Garrett Celek
OT (3): Joe Staley, Anthony Davis
and Adam Snyder
(Alex Boone); Luke Marquardt (NFI)
OG (3): Mike Iupati, Alex Boone
and Joe Looney
C (2): Jonathan Goodwin
and Daniel Kilgore
DE (4): Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Tony Jerod-Eddie
and Demarcus Dobbs; Tank Carradine (NFI)
NT (1): Glenn Dorsey; Quinton Dial (NFI) & Ian Williams (I.R.)
OLB (4): Dan Skuta, Ahmad Brooks, Corey Lemonier
and Jermaine Cunningham; Aldon Smith (NFI)
ILB (4): NaVorro Bowman, Michael Wilhoite, Nathan Stupar
and Patrick Willis
; Nick Moody (I.R. designated to return)
CB (6): Tarell Brown, Carlos Rogers, Perrish Cox, Tramaine Brock, Nnamdi Asomugha
and Darryl Morris
; Chris Culliver & Eric Wright (I.R. & NFI)
S (5): Donte Whitner, Eric Reid, Craig Dahl, C.J. Spillman
and Raymond Ventrone
Special Teams: (3)
PK: Phil Dawson
P: Andy Lee
LS: Kevin McDermott
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 11, 2013 at 9:18 AM ]