There are 116 users in the forums

2013 Team Needs - Updates

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for Beeker.
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
Nice post NC!

What do you think we could get for Rogers and or Whitner (If anyone) in a trade? Was thinking *maybe* we could find some team that is desperate for db's? Was trying to think of ways we could part ways with them without loosing money, a 6th or a 7th round pick?

For Whitner, I'm sure we could get a half eaten banana and a cup of coffee with a cigarette butt in it.
Originally posted by Beeker:
Nice post NC!

What do you think we could get for Rogers and or Whitner (If anyone) in a trade? Was thinking *maybe* we could find some team that is desperate for db's? Was trying to think of ways we could part ways with them without loosing money, a 6th or a 7th round pick?

For Whitner, I'm sure we could get a half eaten banana and a cup of coffee with a cigarette butt in it.
Sh&t will we still take a cap hit? If not ill take it.
Nice post NC!

Sh&t will we still take a cap hit? If not ill take it.

I would have to ask AB about the cap status....
Whitner is 4.1 saved and 833k hit.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Whitner is 4.1 saved and 833k hit.

Then is' worth it to trade him for a half eaten banana and a cup of coffee with a cigarette butt in it.
Nice post NC!

Hmmm, my best guess is that we'll keep Whitner if we don't sign a veteran FA such as Woodson. If we do sign a Woodson, expect Culliver or a top draft pick playing next to him this year. If we cut Whitner, we save $4,100,000 which is significant. I'm not sure how the trade market works at this juncture but yeah, I can't imagine gaining more than a 6th for him as we'd most likely cut him outright anyway. Unfortunately, Rogers has to stay unless we could find a decent trading partner, as we'd only save $1,110,937 this year but acquire a lot in dead money. It might be best to start a Brown & Nnamdi or Nnamdi & Culliver (if they want to get bigger and more physical) and use Rogers/Brown in the slots. Either way, Whitner/Rogers, if still with the team in the summer, are going to have to earn it this year...they should have MUCH more OPEN competition. At the end of the day, I'm still expecting a very different secondary.

^^^updated^^^
Dang we were spoiled last offseason. Our roster is gonna look way different next year, and I hope the FO can find suitable replacements. We also need a backup qb...
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Hey guys.

They just cut our entire offensive line and secondary.

We saved 140 Million towards the cap and about $20m in penalties.
Originally posted by Garcia:
Hey guys.

Baalke does it again. With $140 mil in salary cap room we have more than enough money to sign our rookie class. The salary cap isn't even as high as $140 mil. I don't know how Baalke does it.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Garcia:
Hey guys.

Baalke does it again. With $140 mil in salary cap room we have more than enough money to sign our rookie class. The salary cap isn't even as high as $140 mil. I don't know how Baalke does it.

He is Ninja!

Originally posted by SofaKing:

Now we can sign Revis!!!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Not sure if creating a separate thread is ideal but given all that is going on with FA (and eventually), the draft, let's take a look at our team needs and I'll update accordingly:

Lost:
QB Alex
NT Sopoaga
TE Walker
FS Goldson
K Akers
WR Moss
NT RJF

Expected/Potential Losses:
PR Ginn
Others on the fringe: Grant, Gooden, Wilhoite, L.Davis, Haggans, etc.

Gained:
LB/ST Dan Skuta
NT/DE Glenn Dorsey
WR Anquan Boldin
NT Ian Williams - 2 year contract filling in for RJF
2nd this year and a conditional 2014 & 15 total picks
Brock/Hasting
Mario Manningham restructured his deal, lowering down his $3.6 million base salary down to $1.8 million (they also eliminated his roster and workout bonuses)

Salary Cap Ramifications/"Potential Cuts:"
Name - Cap Savings
Alex - $7,500,000
Rogers - $1,110,937
Goodwin - $4,350,000
Whitner - $4,100,000
Manningham - $3,950,000
Haralson - $2,670,000
Akers - $566,668 (dead money)
Total: $7.584 million under the cap

Interests/Needs (no specific order) - Rationale:
Top tier CB - Team is looking at Nnamdi. Cutting Rogers would only save $1,110,937 this year BUT we need a better cover CB badly. If a FA is acquired, we could move Rogers to the slot or challenge better play from him at CB. Culliver can compete with Rogers this year as well. Brock was resigned
Top tier S (may need both FS & SS) - we lost Goldson but genuinely needed a cover FS anyway with speed/range here. Is Trenton Robinson ready? Would moving Culliver here make even more sense (better at keeping everything in front of him and he's physical). Also, cutting a TD-giving machine like Whitner would save the team $4,100,000. The team is looking at Delmas/Landry/Woodson/Reed. It's still expected that this will be a top pick in the draft
Top tier DE - team signed Dorsey but it's expected this will still be a top pick in the draft for Justin Smith. Don't forget, we get Dobbs back as well
Top tier NT - Williams takes RJF's role easily (both small for the NT spot). And it's expected we'll get a prototypical NT high in the draft this year. Finally!
Second TE - the team is happy with Celek but we can now get that 6'6" TE who is both a great blocker AND an ideal threat in the passing game opposite of Davis, esp. in the RZ. Boldin will take up many of those second TE passes
Second T - we could use a great backup to Staley/Davis badly (lucked out last year). Draft would be ideal or a second-level FA.
C - we could save $4,350,000 by cutting Goodwin and with both Looney/Kilgore training all last year plus Baalke wanting to justify his picks from last year, this could be a surprise cut. Also, with more snaps from the Q (e.g. shotgun) and two backs next to the QB to block, a mauler C isn't required as much.
Second OLB - cutting Haralson would save $2,670,000 for a one-dimensional player. We have both Johnson/Fleming coming back but expect a second tier FA and/or draft pick
WR/KR - Williams will be back and I expect Manningham and his $3,950,000 contract gone given he is in the last year of his contract and don't expect him fully healthy for another year. Jenkins will take his role but I expect a higher pick in the draft for a field-stretcher and great returner to compete with James/Williams
Second QB - we need another CK training in the background
PK - I expect we draft the best K in college. Team is also looking at ST coverage help with Dan Skuta.

Notables: Keep in mind, that we are THE team FA's want to come play for again; don't underestimate this point! Look how many visits and interests we've had esp. from seasoned vets such as Woodson, Reed, Nnamdi, etc.

Great Post... Keep it up
Originally posted by Constantine:
Great Post... Keep it up

Thank you!
Nice post NC!

Throw in a pair of tighty wighties or a non alcoholic beer and you got a deal.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Not sure if creating a separate thread is ideal but given all that is going on with FA (and eventually), the draft, let's take a look at our team needs and I'll update accordingly:

Lost:
QB Alex
NT Sopoaga
TE Walker
FS Goldson
K Akers
WR Moss
NT RJF

Expected/Potential Losses:
PR Ginn
Others on the fringe: Grant, Gooden, Wilhoite, L.Davis, Haggans, etc.

Gained:
LB/ST Dan Skuta
NT/DE Glenn Dorsey
WR Anquan Boldin
NT Ian Williams - 2 year contract filling in for RJF
2nd this year and a conditional 2014 & 15 total picks
Brock/Hasting
Mario Manningham restructured his deal, lowering down his $3.6 million base salary down to $1.8 million (they also eliminated his roster and workout bonuses)

Salary Cap Ramifications/"Potential Cuts:"
Name - Cap Savings
Alex - $7,500,000
Rogers - $1,110,937
Goodwin - $4,350,000
Whitner - $4,100,000
Manningham - $3,950,000
Haralson - $2,670,000
Akers - $566,668 (dead money)
Total: $7.584 million under the cap

Interests/Needs (no specific order) - Rationale:
Top tier CB - Team is looking at Nnamdi. Cutting Rogers would only save $1,110,937 this year BUT we need a better cover CB badly. If a FA is acquired, we could move Rogers to the slot or challenge better play from him at CB. Culliver can compete with Rogers this year as well. Brock was resigned
Top tier S (may need both FS & SS) - we lost Goldson but genuinely needed a cover FS anyway with speed/range here. Is Trenton Robinson ready? Would moving Culliver here make even more sense (better at keeping everything in front of him and he's physical). Also, cutting a TD-giving machine like Whitner would save the team $4,100,000. The team is looking at Delmas/Landry/Woodson/Reed. It's still expected that this will be a top pick in the draft
Top tier DE - team signed Dorsey but it's expected this will still be a top pick in the draft for Justin Smith. Don't forget, we get Dobbs back as well
Top tier NT - Williams takes RJF's role easily (both small for the NT spot). And it's expected we'll get a prototypical NT high in the draft this year. Finally!
Second TE - the team is happy with Celek but we can now get that 6'6" TE who is both a great blocker AND an ideal threat in the passing game opposite of Davis, esp. in the RZ. Boldin will take up many of those second TE passes
Second T - we could use a great backup to Staley/Davis badly (lucked out last year). Draft would be ideal or a second-level FA.
C - we could save $4,350,000 by cutting Goodwin and with both Looney/Kilgore training all last year plus Baalke wanting to justify his picks from last year, this could be a surprise cut. Also, with more snaps from the Q (e.g. shotgun) and two backs next to the QB to block, a mauler C isn't required as much.
Second OLB - cutting Haralson would save $2,670,000 for a one-dimensional player. We have both Johnson/Fleming coming back but expect a second tier FA and/or draft pick
WR/KR - Williams will be back and I expect Manningham and his $3,950,000 contract gone given he is in the last year of his contract and don't expect him fully healthy for another year. Jenkins will take his role but I expect a higher pick in the draft for a field-stretcher and great returner to compete with James/Williams
Second QB - we need another CK training in the background
PK - I expect we draft the best K in college. Team is also looking at ST coverage help with Dan Skuta.

Notables: Keep in mind, that we are THE team FA's want to come play for again; don't underestimate this point! Look how many visits and interests we've had esp. from seasoned vets such as Woodson, Reed, Nnamdi, etc.

Why are we so anxious to gain a so called "top tier" CB and get rid of our best cover corner (Rogers)? What has Nnamdi done as of late to make you want to release Carlos?
Share 49ersWebzone