There are 146 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 Team Needs - Updates

Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by NCommand:
CB Lowell Rose waived before training camp.

bigger loss this year than Crabs

I didn't want to say it..glad you did!
@DonteWhitner
I love the Niners! But will I be here next yr?

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
@DonteWhitner
I love the Niners! But will I be here next yr?

well when JH stops talking about Whitner we will know which the way the wind is blowing for this guy
I don't know just exactly how many CBs/Ss we had in OTAs. but there were a bunch. I think JH and trent brought enough talent into camp to find at least one guy who can cover. The sheer number of guys brought in for a looksee was impressive. Coach H knows where our strengths and weaknesses are. My guess he has one or maybe two guys who are potential cover guys, but we will see. If not it is donte, unless a certain cover guy from the Pack ends up here.
Welp., CB Eric Wright added also. LOL
NC, despite the problems, assuming they can be overcome, it looks like another contender for SS or DB(CB/Ss) if you will. And remember, there is still woodson floating around out there unless the F.O. thinks he is done. I still expect to find his name here one morning...probably out of the blue. I also think we may have a CB playing SS or vice versa. Looks like Trent/JH have assembled talent and are going to see who works out where. Was I surprised by Eric Wright's signing.? Yup. But , potentially good in the long run
NC, just rereading the first page again, this was a terrific summary and of course, a spectacular post. Lot of thot, work, and figuring out things, that no matter how many times I read it, it just seems that you have your finger on the pulse of what we have and where we are. DBackfield still up in air, but we have TC and PS to find out if we have CBs playing SS or vice versa. I could see 3 CBs and a SS, or some other weird combo. Have to give it to Coach H and trent. These guys, right now , are showing the rest of the league how to do team building, while making the team better right now for the Playoff run. Amazing, and thanks bro.
Good thread NC!

The offense is pretty set this year except for WR, where only Boldin seems a likely or sure starter...but the defense is really going to be competitive during camp and perhaps even up to the opener. Likely battles:

DL: who replaces Soap and RJF? Back ups?
OLB: are both Aldon and Brooks healthy? Is Lemonier good enough to challenge?
MLB: Who is the back up?
CB: So many options...who will move to safety or be traded? Restructure? Someone may win the starting job and an extension.
S: Is Reid a starter? Is Whitner on his way out the door? Who might take his place? Least clear area in my opinion.

This team has so many unknown young guys who have to prove themselves! Will be a very fun year and I hope special by years end!
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
NC, just rereading the first page again, this was a terrific summary and of course, a spectacular post. Lot of thot, work, and figuring out things, that no matter how many times I read it, it just seems that you have your finger on the pulse of what we have and where we are. DBackfield still up in air, but we have TC and PS to find out if we have CBs playing SS or vice versa. I could see 3 CBs and a SS, or some other weird combo. Have to give it to Coach H and trent. These guys, right now , are showing the rest of the league how to do team building, while making the team better right now for the Playoff run. Amazing, and thanks bro.

Thanks so much...try to stay on top of everything as it comes; been on vacation for one week and already see some edits I need to make. LOL.

Yeah, and with all the injuries at WR, I'd add that group as a key group to watch along with the shakeup at CB & S (ad OLB/DL depth).
Anyone else really liking what they hear about Moody? He'll likely only be special teams this year, but his name has been mentioned positively in allot of the drills. Really excited to see how he plays in preseason.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Good thread NC!

The offense is pretty set this year except for WR, where only Boldin seems a likely or sure starter...but the defense is really going to be competitive during camp and perhaps even up to the opener. Likely battles:

DL: who replaces Soap and RJF? Back ups?
OLB: are both Aldon and Brooks healthy? Is Lemonier good enough to challenge?
MLB: Who is the back up?
CB: So many options...who will move to safety or be traded? Restructure? Someone may win the starting job and an extension.
S: Is Reid a starter? Is Whitner on his way out the door? Who might take his place? Least clear area in my opinion.

This team has so many unknown young guys who have to prove themselves! Will be a very fun year and I hope special by years end!

Thanks brother! You ask some VERY valid questions.

Will we have any WR's left by the end of camp? - negative (Williams hit the ground running so that's a positive)
Looks like we can add my boy Cam Johnson to that mix - positive (both may push Haralson right off the roster)
MLB - negative (with Fleming down, yet again, he's done IMHO). We do need depth there badly. What to do? Moody is a lock at this point...
CB - good Lord, where to start? Baalke wants size, aggressiveness, press and CB's to challenge WR's (since Seattle can get away with this) but Brown, Rogers nor Fangio plays this way...sooooo?
S - is always a serious work in progress. I predicted both Rogers and Whitner are on their last leg and could very well get pushed out of the starting lineup and then have to restructure to stay as backups with us. So far, it's starting to take shape...
Rookies/2nd year guys - I'm with you brother. THIS is the year for the 2nd year guys to step up or fall off the map. For a team with few needs, there is still going to be some epic battles, no doubt. Hopefully some will become sure-fire starters that improve our team or add as tremendous depth/ST's.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Anyone else really liking what they hear about Moody? He'll likely only be special teams this year, but his name has been mentioned positively in allot of the drills. Really excited to see how he plays in preseason.

Yeah, he and Johson really intrigue me...see what they add to the OLB/ILB group. With Grant gone and Fleming once again (most likely done), we really need him to stand out and hit the playbook!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5280High:

Yeah, he and Johson really intrigue me...see what they add to the OLB/ILB group. With Grant gone and Fleming once again (most likely done), we really need him to stand out and hit the playbook!
please do not sign grant in a knee jerk reaction to fleming being hurt
Pas, just in case you didn't see...

One play that deserves mention: Kaepernick flipped a perfectly placed pass to LaMichael James on a delayed screen to the right that would have gone for a huge gain in a real game. What made it work was the timing and the fact that right tackle Anthony Davis got 15 yards down field and blocked Dahl, who would have had an angle on James at the sideline.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/07/training-camp-d3-vernon-davis-goes-deep-again-and-again.html#storylink=cpy
Pas, just in case you didn't see...

One play that deserves mention: Kaepernick flipped a perfectly placed pass to LaMichael James on a delayed screen to the right that would have gone for a huge gain in a real game. What made it work was the timing and the fact that right tackle Anthony Davis got 15 yards down field and blocked Dahl, who would have had an angle on James at the sideline.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/07/training-camp-d3-vernon-davis-goes-deep-again-and-again.html#storylink=cpy

That's great! That's an aspect of our game last year that we just didn't have. A deadly screen game would aid the PA passing game too!