There are 89 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 Team Needs - Updates

Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Boldin and Super Mario start, with AJ and Kyle coming off the bench, and Patton as depth. We are good at WR, I'm concerned as to how our D-line will round out.

It of course makes sense to count on a guy coming off two incredibly severe injuries.... As I've said before, if Manningham can recover and come back to be a solid #5 WR for the 49ers this season, I'll be ecstatic.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jun 11, 2013 at 4:24 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Boldin and Super Mario start, with AJ and Kyle coming off the bench, and Patton as depth. We are good at WR, I'm concerned as to how our D-line will round out.

It of course makes sense to count on a guy coming off two incredibly severe injuries.... As I've said before, if Manningham can recover and come back to be a solid #5 WR for the 49ers this season, I'll be ecstatic.

Amen and I wouldn't even rush that. I'd let him heal up all year if possible and work him in towards the end of the season. As of now, it sounds like it's Boldin and AJ with Williams/Patton in the slot. With VD and McDonald, we won't run many 3+ WR sets anyhow. It will be most 2 WR and 2 TE sets. So let's pray there are no more injuries to the WR group (esp.) ad let Manningham heal right.

#5 WR for Mario? are u insane? when he is finally back he will be #2 broseph
MB's tentative depth chart:

Offense:
QB: Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy, Scott Tolzien, B.J. Daniels
LT: Joe Staley, Kenny Wiggins, Carter Bykowski
LG: Mike Iupati, Adam Snyder, Wayne Tribue
C: Jonathan Goodwin, Daniel Kilgore, Sherman Carter
RG: Alex Boone, Joe Looney, Al Netter
RT: Anthony Davis, Patrick Omameh
TB: Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Jewel Hampton, D.J. Harper
FB: Bruce Miller, Anthony Dixon, Jason Schepler
TE: Vernon Davis, Garrett CelekF-TE: Vance McDonald, MarQueis Gray
Z-WR: Anquan Boldin, Ricardo Lockette, Quinton Patton, Kassim Osgood
X-WR: Kyle Williams, A.J. Jenkins, Marlon Moore, Chuck Jacobs
S-WR- Jenkins, Chad Hall

Defense:
RDE: Justin Smith, Demarcus Dobbs, Tank Carradine*, Lawrence Okoye
NT: Glenn Dorsey, Ian Williams, Lamar Divens
LDE: Ray McDonald, Will Tukuafu, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Quinton Dial*, Mike Purcell
ILB: Patrick Willis, Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody
ILB: NaVorro Bowman, Darius Fleming, Nate Stupar
ROLB: Aldon Smith, Parys Haralson, Corey Lemonier
LOLB: Ahmad Brooks, Dan Skuta, Cam Johnson
LCB: Carlos Rogers, Chris Culliver, Tramaine Brock, Marcus Cooper
RCB: Tarell Brown, Nnamdi Asomugha, Lowell Rose, Darryl Morris
NCB: Carlos Rogers, Perrish Cox, Michael Thomas, Darryl Morris
SS: Donte Whitner, C.J. Spillman, Trenton Robinson, Ray Ventrone
FS: Craig Dahl, Eric Reid, Darcel McBath, Michael Thomas

Special teams:
Kicker**: Phil Dawson
Punter**: Andy Lee
LS: Brian Jennings, Kyle Nelson, Kevin McDermott
PR: Kyle Williams, LaMichael James, Perrish Cox
KR: LaMichael James, Quinton Patton, Ricardo Lockette, B.J. Daniels

* May not be healthy to start training camp
** The 49ers are expected to bring in at least one other "camp leg" before training camp.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/06/49ers-pre-training-camp-depth-chart.html#storylink=cpy
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 17, 2013 at 2:05 PM ]
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

Amen and I wouldn't even rush that. I'd let him heal up all year if possible and work him in towards the end of the season. As of now, it sounds like it's Boldin and AJ with Williams/Patton in the slot. With VD and McDonald, we won't run many 3+ WR sets anyhow. It will be most 2 WR and 2 TE sets. So let's pray there are no more injuries to the WR group (esp.) ad let Manningham heal right.

I agree. I don't count on Manningham for much, if anything, this season. This is his final year under contract and if it looks like they need roster room, it would not surprise me at all if they give him an injury settlement and release him. He may have been a #2 on this team prior to injury last season but that is not saying much. This team has been weak at WR for years. Even when Owens was still here there was never a solid #2 behind him. Tai Streets anyone?
Originally posted by dj43:

I agree. I don't count on Manningham for much, if anything, this season. This is his final year under contract and if it looks like they need roster room, it would not surprise me at all if they give him an injury settlement and release him. He may have been a #2 on this team prior to injury last season but that is not saying much. This team has been weak at WR for years. Even when Owens was still here there was never a solid #2 behind him. Tai Streets anyone?

I really like Manningham...a lot. But his entire game is explosion off the LOS and quickness and running VERY crisp routes. It's actually quite remarkable how much separation he gets in close quarters...he is always open. The problem is his injuries are going to thwart those skills for some time and he has no deep speed per se. The great news is seeing videos of him running and cutting already! But I'd put him on PUP b/c we ARE going to need him later down the road, no doubt. And like you said, if our WR group looks very good, there is that off chance we could settle with him as well and seek a healthier vet and now is that time. Perhaps that is why we are actively seeking a veteran as of late.
Updated...man, this is a hard thread to keep up! This is one busy FO!
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 19, 2013 at 10:24 AM ]
MB's tentative depth chart:

Offense:
QB: Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy, Scott Tolzien, B.J. Daniels
LT: Joe Staley, Kenny Wiggins, Carter Bykowski
LG: Mike Iupati, Adam Snyder, Wayne Tribue
C: Jonathan Goodwin, Daniel Kilgore, Sherman Carter
RG: Alex Boone, Joe Looney, Al Netter
RT: Anthony Davis, Patrick Omameh
TB: Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Jewel Hampton, D.J. Harper
FB: Bruce Miller, Anthony Dixon, Jason Schepler
TE: Vernon Davis, Garrett CelekF-TE: Vance McDonald, MarQueis Gray
Z-WR: Anquan Boldin, Ricardo Lockette, Quinton Patton, Kassim Osgood
X-WR: Kyle Williams, A.J. Jenkins, Marlon Moore, Chuck Jacobs
S-WR- Jenkins, Chad Hall

Defense:
RDE: Justin Smith, Demarcus Dobbs, Tank Carradine*, Lawrence Okoye
NT: Glenn Dorsey, Ian Williams, Lamar Divens
LDE: Ray McDonald, Will Tukuafu, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Quinton Dial*, Mike Purcell
ILB: Patrick Willis, Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody
ILB: NaVorro Bowman, Darius Fleming, Nate Stupar
ROLB: Aldon Smith, Parys Haralson, Corey Lemonier
LOLB: Ahmad Brooks, Dan Skuta, Cam Johnson
LCB: Carlos Rogers, Chris Culliver, Tramaine Brock, Marcus Cooper
RCB: Tarell Brown, Nnamdi Asomugha, Lowell Rose, Darryl Morris
NCB: Carlos Rogers, Perrish Cox, Michael Thomas, Darryl Morris
SS: Donte Whitner, C.J. Spillman, Trenton Robinson, Ray Ventrone
FS: Craig Dahl, Eric Reid, Darcel McBath, Michael Thomas

Special teams:
Kicker**: Phil Dawson
Punter**: Andy Lee
LS: Brian Jennings, Kyle Nelson, Kevin McDermott
PR: Kyle Williams, LaMichael James, Perrish Cox
KR: LaMichael James, Quinton Patton, Ricardo Lockette, B.J. Daniels

* May not be healthy to start training camp
** The 49ers are expected to bring in at least one other "camp leg" before training camp.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/06/49ers-pre-training-camp-depth-chart.html#storylink=cpy

interesting to see Snyder at LG and Looney at RG?? It should be the other way around. Looney lined up at backup LG all year last year, and L.Davis played RG.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
interesting to see Snyder at LG and Looney at RG?? It should be the other way around. Looney lined up at backup LG all year last year, and L.Davis played RG.

Yeah, I see Snyder more as a T and both Kilgore/Looney at C/G's; probably both sides.
Wow, $6.423M under the cap right now (minus the Reid contract). I wasn't expecting THAT much. Are we going after an unexpected FA WR now or signing some more internally?
Wow, $6.423M under the cap right now (minus the Reid contract). I wasn't expecting THAT much. Are we going after an unexpected FA WR now or signing some more internally?

why would we sign a vet WR, when we have Williams, Boldin, Jenkins, Patton, and Lockette? (plus Manningham)
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

why would we sign a vet WR, when we have Williams, Boldin, Jenkins, Patton, and Lockette? (plus Manningham)

Well, we just tried to signed two of them (one ended up injured instantly/cut); looking at a 3rd. But I'm not sure...maybe the coaches feel they need more competition, a veteran presence, don't feel great about the development of the youngsters opposite Boldin and consequently, are trying more VD out at WR as well, etc.? I don't know...just speculating at this juncture but it clearly seems they are after one.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

i think they are clearing space just to sign reid, have some left over for possible injury emergency and put some in the bank to deal with future big signings down the road. i am pretty sure they did not clear space just so they can spend it on some wide out,, besides there is no one out there worth anything in my opinion. Now if we have another injury or someone like jenkins clearly does not pan out in pre season,, then we have a different discussion
Originally posted by cciowa:

i think they are clearing space just to sign reid, have some left over for possible injury emergency and put some in the bank to deal with future big signings down the road. i am pretty sure they did not clear space just so they can spend it on some wide out,, besides there is no one out there worth anything in my opinion. Now if we have another injury or someone like jenkins clearly does not pan out in pre season,, then we have a different discussion

That's my contention as well...but Reid won't cost much at all and we should have quite a bit left over. I agree we may be stockpiling cap room to perhaps, sign someone internally but we can't ignore we've also gone after 5+ WR's beyond Boldin (Lockette, Moore, Osgood, Carswell, Collie, etc.) this off season. I also think, like you noted, if we do go after and sign another FA WR, it most likely won't be a "big name"...not sure of the point though but if they are going to add more veteran competition, now is the time; they have to learn our playbook STAT!

I honestly don't even know who's out there...what's going on in NY with Hicks/Cruz? Who else could be a viable upgrade and potential starter of significant role-player opposite Boldin?
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 20, 2013 at 9:45 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:

That's my contention as well...but Reid won't cost much at all and we should have quite a bit left over. I agree we may be stockpiling cap room to perhaps, sign someone internally but we can't ignore we've also gone after 5+ WR's beyond Boldin (Lockette, Moore, Osgood, Carswell, Collie, etc.) this off season. I also think, like you noted, if we do go after and sign another FA WR, it most likely won't be a "big name"...not sure of the point though but if they are going to add more veteran competition, now is the time; they have to learn our playbook STAT!

I honestly don't even know who's out there...what's going on in NY with Hicks/Cruz? Who else could be a viable upgrade and potential starter of significant role-player opposite Boldin?
i really think they are ok with just putting all the kids into the mix and letting them duke it out. Now if kyle williams would not have been ready to go for the first game then you may have to sign someone but for now, untill we see what we got from the kids, esp jenkins, stay the course. Your comments about who is out there is huge cuz I do not think there is anyone out there . i refuse to entertain any miss lloyd or owens blather! besides i contend moore will shock everyone and emerge as a huge shock for us, like willie mcgee was in 1976 for us