There are 83 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 Team Needs - Updates

Originally posted by reasonable1:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
It's possible that Osgood contributes in redzone situations. You can't teach 6'5" 220lb. Plus, with ST ability, that'll buy him a spot on the roster. I have a feeling that it'll be either him or Ventrone.

Either way, it's obvious that our FO is serious about ST!

That's a very good point about Osgood. So now the tougher question...who is cut for him? Lockette?

For sure!

I dont think either one of Osgood or Ventrone makes the team. Neither one offers anything more than ST value and I think the addition of Dahl, Moody and Skuta and the return of Wilhote probably makes it harder for both.

Thank you, a realistic post! It sounds nice on paper to have all these ST-only aces on our team but I think those days may be gone...IF we keep a ST ace, he is going to have to add something significant on offense or defense ad be part of the 46 or we'll have to carry less and cut a position player backup. This 53 will be very tricky when it's all said and done and different in some ways from the past.
There's also the very real, but seemingly outlandish possibility that they use Lawrence Okyoe on ST. The guy runs the 40 in less than 4.8 seconds and they may not be able to hide him on the practice squad. Seems a little strange, but what a wedge-buster.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
There's also the very real, but seemingly outlandish possibility that they use Lawrence Okyoe on ST. The guy runs the 40 in less than 4.8 seconds and they may not be able to hide him on the practice squad. Seems a little strange, but what a wedge-buster.

I think that is the big theme. A developmental player with potential upside this year (later in the year down the home run stretch), we may stash him on the 53 and then eventually elevate him to the 46 where he contributes on both ST and DE in our base 3-4 or hybrid.
they could have some guys with a lot of potential that can't make the 53 this year. unless some of these guys can be stashed on the IR, i'm afraid we're going to lose some young talent.
I feel the team should bring in a veteran WR on the cheap like Devery Henderson (or, if reasonable, a trade for WR Nate Washington, who I hear could be available). It is a HUGE gamble for this team to go into the season with only two proven WRs in Boldin and Manningham (when he's back at full strength) - and Manningham has only been a 3rd WR since being in the league.

Yes, our young guys MIGHT step up...that's a big "might", though. If you go back and watch some of our key drives down the stretch and in the playoffs, you'll see not only Crabtree but Moss getting open and making key catches & first downs in tight spaces/tight coverage. Crabtree coming back this year is a big ? Moss...not sure the team wants him back but he did get open and make catches at key moments late last year - again, a veteran who knows the NFL ins-and-outs at WR.

Can we expect this to happen after a long, tough season with inexperienced Jenkins, Patton, etc. in there? I mean, it could happen, no doubt about it (don't want to sound all doom and gloom)...and that's assuming they survive the wear and tear of a season & playoffs. But do we want to take that chance now with Crabtree out and this team being so close to having a chance to win it all?

I think Devery Henderson, if brought in at the right price, would be a great option for competition, speed at WR, and something he's been touted for by Saints fans, his blocking ability. I keep hearing he's a very good blocking WR - that he's become committed to it. Yes, his hands have been suspect in NO...maybe something will happen for the better there with a change of scenery? I'd rather have him or Washington than Lloyd. I just don't see Lloyd fitting in with our offense in blocking, the Harbaugh way/team player, etc.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
I feel the team should bring in a veteran WR on the cheap like Devery Henderson (or, if reasonable, a trade for WR Nate Washington, who I hear could be available). It is a HUGE gamble for this team to go into the season with only two proven WRs in Boldin and Manningham (when he's back at full strength) - and Manningham has only been a 3rd WR since being in the league.

Yes, our young guys MIGHT step up...that's a big "might", though. If you go back and watch some of our key drives down the stretch and in the playoffs, you'll see not only Crabtree but Moss getting open and making key catches & first downs in tight spaces/tight coverage. Crabtree coming back this year is a big ? Moss...not sure the team wants him back but he did get open and make catches at key moments late last year - again, a veteran who knows the NFL ins-and-outs at WR.

Can we expect this to happen after a long, tough season with inexperienced Jenkins, Patton, etc. in there? I mean, it could happen, no doubt about it (don't want to sound all doom and gloom)...and that's assuming they survive the wear and tear of a season & playoffs. But do we want to take that chance now with Crabtree out and this team being so close to having a chance to win it all?

I think Devery Henderson, if brought in at the right price, would be a great option for competition, speed at WR, and something he's been touted for by Saints fans, his blocking ability. I keep hearing he's a very good blocking WR - that he's become committed to it. Yes, his hands have been suspect in NO...maybe something will happen for the better there with a change of scenery? I'd rather have him or Washington than Lloyd. I just don't see Lloyd fitting in with our offense in blocking, the Harbaugh way/team player, etc.
and a trade for a wide out could result in another edwards or jacobs thing. i am not in favor of any guy coming in here no matter his name and taking time away from the kids. they are our future and I do not want their development retarded or set back by bringing some guy in here who may or may not fit into the locker room. You forget the high price the coach puts on that intangible. moss burned his bridge by his "effort" in the super bowl. besides it is foolish to spend our paltry two million on a wide out when we still have two rookies to sign. if one of our kids gets hurt or if jenkins shows in pre season he is not what the coaches and front office thought he was, then we have a different discussion. But for now,, stay the course
Originally posted by cciowa:
and a trade for a wide out could result in another edwards or jacobs thing. i am not in favor of any guy coming in here no matter his name and taking time away from the kids. they are our future and I do not want their development retarded or set back by bringing some guy in here who may or may not fit into the locker room. You forget the high price the coach puts on that intangible. moss burned his bridge by his "effort" in the super bowl. besides it is foolish to spend our paltry two million on a wide out when we still have two rookies to sign. if one of our kids gets hurt or if jenkins shows in pre season he is not what the coaches and front office thought he was, then we have a different discussion. But for now,, stay the course

That's a good response and what you say makes complete sense. Yes, we don't want another Edwards or Jacobs situation...I'm just saying a blocking, veteran WR with speed and who can get open like Henderson could probably be had for very little $ and he could provide some good competition. It sounds like you're completely confident in our young guys and, assuming they can get through the entire season injury-free, putting them out there down the stretch and in the playoffs ready to make tough catches on third down? I'd like to be as confident...just thinking it's a big risk to not bring in another decent veteran WR for competition at the very least. Then, if the young guys are indeed ready, they'll step up and the veteran WR will either not get much playing time or not make the team.
I just don't see the urgency to bring in a guy like Henderson right now. If we get further into the offseason and we have another WR injury, then maybe. I think we keep the 2.2M buffer. But we need to see what we have in Jenkins, Patton, Lockette, and McDonald

fixed
[ Edited by NinerBuff on Jun 10, 2013 at 1:05 PM ]
I don't think the team has the luxury of keeping a $2.2 mil buffer. I think they need that money to sign Reid and Lemonier, the only two remaining unsigned draftees.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I don't think the team has the luxury of keeping a $2.2 mil buffer. I think they need that money to sign Reid and Lemonier, the only two remaining unsigned draftees.

Ya, those two rookie contracts will take up a good portion of the remaining 2.2M. Didn't think about that.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Originally posted by cciowa:

That's a good response and what you say makes complete sense. Yes, we don't want another Edwards or Jacobs situation...I'm just saying a blocking, veteran WR with speed and who can get open like Henderson could probably be had for very little $ and he could provide some good competition. It sounds like you're completely confident in our young guys and, assuming they can get through the entire season injury-free, putting them out there down the stretch and in the playoffs ready to make tough catches on third down? I'd like to be as confident...just thinking it's a big risk to not bring in another decent veteran WR for competition at the very least. Then, if the young guys are indeed ready, they'll step up and the veteran WR will either not get much playing time or not make the team.
good thoughts,, i think what a good poster buff said in a post was key and it was one word, "urgency"... at this point in time it is not urgent that we bring in a guy. i am very ok with seeing what the kids can bring, I also feel kyle will be ready to go in pre season which will help, mario maybe by the first or second game of the year.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I just don't see the urgency to bring in a guy like Henderson right now. If we get further into the offseason and we have another WR injury, then maybe. I think we keep the 2.2M buffer. But we need to see what we have in Jenkins, Patton, Lockette, and McDonald

fixed

good job,,, this times infinity
Ah, heck , I'm a homer when it comes to 9ers. That said, between Vance, AJ, patton, lockette, LMJ, then Vernon, boldin, frank, maybe kyle, perhaps Mario...or even without the last two, it for the first time in ages seems like we are awash in guys who can catch the ball. Put me down with cc and the crowd who wants to keep his powder dry
(okay, $$ in his pockets) and let's see what these guys have. Boldin and Vernon are locks to be excellent. But I have exceedingly high hopes for AJ, patton, Vance, and lockette. Then there is the still untapped LMJ, and that guy could easily be our Darren Sproles, or reggie bush while with the saints. Roman hasn't chosen to use him and that I think, is a mistake. Maybe mangini helps there. Vance? I can see him being one of our 4 possession receivers, and blowing up somebody on the DL, and then sitting down in the middle for 8 yds. Or, he can blow and go. The potential we have at "ball catchers" looks to be fantastic. Sure , I haven't gotten to watch these guys yet, but their films looked mighty good. I admit, AJ will be a surprise to me, no matter what he does. The rest look like bonafide pass catchers in the NFL, and maybe , just maybe, we end up with more than we can use. Wouldn't that be a fine predicament to be in?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Ah, heck , I'm a homer when it comes to 9ers. That said, between Vance, AJ, patton, lockette, LMJ, then Vernon, boldin, frank, maybe kyle, perhaps Mario...or even without the last two, it for the first time in ages seems like we are awash in guys who can catch the ball. Put me down with cc and the crowd who wants to keep his powder dry
(okay, $$ in his pockets) and let's see what these guys have. Boldin and Vernon are locks to be excellent. But I have exceedingly high hopes for AJ, patton, Vance, and lockette. Then there is the still untapped LMJ, and that guy could easily be our Darren Sproles, or reggie bush while with the saints. Roman hasn't chosen to use him and that I think, is a mistake. Maybe mangini helps there. Vance? I can see him being one of our 4 possession receivers, and blowing up somebody on the DL, and then sitting down in the middle for 8 yds. Or, he can blow and go. The potential we have at "ball catchers" looks to be fantastic. Sure , I haven't gotten to watch these guys yet, but their films looked mighty good. I admit, AJ will be a surprise to me, no matter what he does. The rest look like bonafide pass catchers in the NFL, and maybe , just maybe, we end up with more than we can use. Wouldn't that be a fine predicament to be in?
good job as always doc,,, i think I am the only one here who thinks the moore kid will make it!.. what you said about roman either unable or unwilling to use james and hunter is spot on. i talked about this in another thread but it makes me angry it is a crime not to use someone like those guys esp with james and that speed
Boldin and Super Mario start, with AJ and Kyle coming off the bench, and Patton as depth. We are good at WR, I'm concerned as to how our D-line will round out.