Originally posted by NCommand:
OK, obviously, we are beefing up the coverage units big time...on top of who's already on the team such as Spillman/Brock and others. We'll assume in this case, Dan Skuta and Nick Moody (college) make the team and also continue to shine as ST players with true backup ILB ability.
BUT, there are only so many spots on the 53 so how can the following players make the team despite their ST mega-skills? We have gotten rid of players last year (Colin Jones) or let walk in FA (Blake Costanzo) who added just ST production. Are the days of the one-trick pony's over? If not and these guys make it, who do we cut?
- Raymond Ventrone (ST/S) - did I read we had him catching passes from the slot the other day? ST ace but also adds ????
- Kassim Osgood (ST/WR) - great size, some return experience and a pro bowl gunner. But how is he going to make it on a team with the following: X = A.J. Jenkins/Ricardo Lockette Y = Quinton Patton/Kyle Williams Z = Anquan Boldin; Mario Manningham & Michael Crabtree (PUP). We rarely run 3+ WR sets anyhow.
- Marlon Moore (ST/WR) - more speed and deep threat ability over Osgood, also has some return experience and plays gunner as well.
- Parys Haralson (OLB/ST) - OLB with run-stuffing ability but plays the WILL (pass rushing position); he will be competing with younger players such as Lemonier, Fleming and Johnson. How can he make it if 2 of the 3 are stout against the run, younger AND demonstrate pass rush ability?
- Anthony Dixon (ST/RB) - asked coaches about learning other positions just to make the team last year. Now, he's competing against a mobile B.J. Daniels, Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter and LaMichael James; Marcus Lattimore (PUP) and even Bruce Miller and Alex Debniak.
It's possible that Osgood contributes in redzone situations. You can't teach 6'5" 220lb. Plus, with ST ability, that'll buy him a spot on the roster. I have a feeling that it'll be either him or Ventrone.
Either way, it's obvious that our FO is serious about ST!