There are 228 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 Team Needs - Updates

Originally posted by NCommand:
OK, obviously, we are beefing up the coverage units big time...on top of who's already on the team such as Spillman/Brock and others. We'll assume in this case, Dan Skuta and Nick Moody (college) make the team and also continue to shine as ST players with true backup ILB ability.

BUT, there are only so many spots on the 53 so how can the following players make the team despite their ST mega-skills? We have gotten rid of players last year (Colin Jones) or let walk in FA (Blake Costanzo) who added just ST production. Are the days of the one-trick pony's over? If not and these guys make it, who do we cut?
  • Raymond Ventrone (ST/S) - did I read we had him catching passes from the slot the other day? ST ace but also adds ????
  • Kassim Osgood (ST/WR) - great size, some return experience and a pro bowl gunner. But how is he going to make it on a team with the following: X = A.J. Jenkins/Ricardo Lockette Y = Quinton Patton/Kyle Williams Z = Anquan Boldin; Mario Manningham & Michael Crabtree (PUP). We rarely run 3+ WR sets anyhow.
  • Marlon Moore (ST/WR) - more speed and deep threat ability over Osgood, also has some return experience and plays gunner as well.
  • Parys Haralson (OLB/ST) - OLB with run-stuffing ability but plays the WILL (pass rushing position); he will be competing with younger players such as Lemonier, Fleming and Johnson. How can he make it if 2 of the 3 are stout against the run, younger AND demonstrate pass rush ability?
  • Anthony Dixon (ST/RB) - asked coaches about learning other positions just to make the team last year. Now, he's competing against a mobile B.J. Daniels, Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter and LaMichael James; Marcus Lattimore (PUP) and even Bruce Miller and Alex Debniak.

It's possible that Osgood contributes in redzone situations. You can't teach 6'5" 220lb. Plus, with ST ability, that'll buy him a spot on the roster. I have a feeling that it'll be either him or Ventrone.

Either way, it's obvious that our FO is serious about ST!
I just love that they are aggressively going after ST.

How do you all feel about our KO return unit?
Originally posted by buck:
At this point, still early I know, It sure looks like Colt McCoy has the #2 quarterback slot locked up.

LOL...until he's cut (see also, Schepler, Jason). On a serious note though, if he can pick up this offense somehow, quickly and it translates on the field, he's got a real shot. But I'm sure this is just to motivate Tolzien and Daniels. Right?
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
It's possible that Osgood contributes in redzone situations. You can't teach 6'5" 220lb. Plus, with ST ability, that'll buy him a spot on the roster. I have a feeling that it'll be either him or Ventrone.

That's a very good point about Osgood. So now the tougher question...who is cut for him? Lockette?

For sure!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Me too.

Now THAT is my question mark right there...we don't really have anyone dynamic back there like the Ravens due...who also doubles as a deep threat as a WR (obviously). These are all great coverage guys though...maybe good blockers for James as well?
ST killed us last season. knew it would once we let Jones and costanzo go. dumb move. If they're on the squad last year, trophy #6 is sitting in HQ right now.
We need someone to step up at WR very very BADLY.

That's a very good point about Osgood. So now the tougher question...who is cut for him? Lockette?

For sure!

Maybe, or maybe since Osgood has ST value, and a guy like Williams has ST value, we drop Dixon or someone...

For sure!

Maybe, or maybe since Osgood has ST value, and a guy like Williams has ST value, we drop Dixon or someone...

It's tough...I already had Dixon droppped. LOL. Man, this 53 is brutal. I merely brought this topic up b/c of this very issue. Osgood is a terrific ST guy and there is STILL no guarantee he even makes the team.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
ST killed us last season. knew it would once we let Jones and costanzo go. dumb move. If they're on the squad last year, trophy #6 is sitting in HQ right now.

Having better ST would teach Kaep how to throw a fade? Or would somehow tell Harbaugh to run Gore 3 times in a row?

For sure!

It's tough...I already had Dixon droppped. LOL. Man, this 53 is brutal. I merely brought this topic up b/c of this very issue. Osgood is a terrific ST guy and there is STILL no guarantee he even makes the team.

I think we can assume that due to our ST faux-pas last offseason, our FO has dedicated several roster spots for stellar ST players. This means that a 6th RB / 6th WR / 9th O-lineman / 5th Safety will get axed. I really like the idea of the 6'5" guy in the redzone. Now, he wouldn't be available if he was a real redzone threat, but maybe Harbaugh / Roman can do some magic.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

i am more than ok with this,, james will be solid,, kyle williams will be more than solid, and of course hunter will be back which gives us three good people and maybe there will be a couple of surprises like jenkins and the moore kid we got from miami.. punt returns is more of a worry esp if kyle williams is not ready to go. James is working on punt returns but he is a work in progress
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Having better ST would teach Kaep how to throw a fade? Or would somehow tell Harbaugh to run Gore 3 times in a row?

Kap threw a perfect fade; Crabtree was held on the play. If we run Gore three times in a row and don't go anywhere, then everybody complains that we didn't throw the ball. Every single play in a close game can be second guessed. Roster decisions affect the whole season.

I love how coaches talk about how important special teams are, but then they favor depth over special teams stars. Costanzo, Jones, and even Michael Robinson were all difference makers.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Kap threw a perfect fade; Crabtree was held on the play. If we run Gore three times in a row and don't go anywhere, then everybody complains that we didn't throw the ball. Every single play in a close game can be second guessed. Roster decisions affect the whole season.

I love how coaches talk about how important special teams are, but then they favor depth over special teams stars. Costanzo, Jones, and even Michael Robinson were all difference makers.

Honestly, I don't agree with that premise...however, I will say that with the best run blocking line in the league and the league's best all around back...there is no excuse NOT to have called a run play 2 of the 4 downs inside the 10. They scored on Atlanta twice with Gore inside the 10 and they had the Ravens on their heels at that point of the game, especially with the running attack. You have to at least hand off once to keep them honest and force them to think about what you are doing.

For sure!

I dont think either one of Osgood or Ventrone makes the team. Neither one offers anything more than ST value and I think the addition of Dahl, Moody and Skuta and the return of Wilhote probably makes it harder for both.