There are 136 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 Team Needs - Updates

Originally posted by nw9erfan:
As much as I respect NC's viewpoints, I have to give the nod to Chauncey in this thread...

I just think guys like QB Daniels, "TE" Gray, DL Okoye, WR Lockette, OT Netter, NT Divens, and CB Cooper have a much greater chance of landing on the practice squad than making the 53. Also, guys like QB McCoy, WR K Williams, LB Haralson, and even DL Tukuafu / Dobbs are, to put it simply, unlikely to get cut. Now, guys like C Goodwin and CB Rogers? Time will tell with those 2. I can see both of them cut unless they agree to re-work their deals.

The team needs vets in some areas. They got burned in the SB because they didn't have enough pass rushing, D-line, and ST depth and/or experience (just as I predicted in the beginning of last season). I just think NCs roster is a little on the youthful / inexperienced side.

OK, now you're just hurting my feelings. LOL. Absolutely...you know me, I rarely go "safe and predictable." A few factors lead me to this youth movement and like the draft, I tried my best to pick like Baalke would; I did fairly well with that approach so I tried to adopt it here as well:
  • Even on a stacked team, ask yourself how many players we've drafted and then let go...not many huh?
  • We've seen a purging of the previous regime over the past few years and very few hold overs.
  • This coaching staff is not afraid to start younger players if they feel they are ready and some were right away (Miller) while others were developed (Boone)
  • With a stacked team now, we may for the first time, start seeing players brought in for specific roles in specific packages (example, Morris as a slot CB but also adds to ST as a gunner)
  • We have clearly gone away from one-trick-pony type players and look for players who can fit specific roles but with a multiple skill set
  • This coaching staff loves to develop players now to be ready instantly (if possible) with an obvious eye on the future (Okoye, Lattimore, Looney, etc.).
  • So while players such as QB McCoy, WR Williams, OLB Haralson and DL Tukuafu/Dobbs are all safe and known products, at what point do the youngsters immediate talent, multi-faceted skill sets and long-term growth/development/potential overtake the aforementioned? Perhaps, that time is now...
Originally posted by NCommand:
OK, now you're just hurting my feelings. LOL. Absolutely...you know me, I rarely go "safe and predictable." A few factors lead me to this youth movement and like the draft, I tried my best to pick like Baalke would; I did fairly well with that approach so I tried to adopt it here as well:
  • Even on a stacked team, ask yourself how many players we've drafted and then let go...not many huh?
  • We've seen a purging of the previous regime over the past few years and very few hold overs.
  • This coaching staff is not afraid to start younger players if they feel they are ready and some were right away (Miller) while others were developed (Boone)
  • With a stacked team now, we may for the first time, start seeing players brought in for specific roles in specific packages (example, Morris as a slot CB but also adds to ST as a gunner)
  • We have clearly gone away from one-trick-pony type players and look for players who can fit specific roles but with a multiple skill set
  • This coaching staff loves to develop players now to be ready instantly (if possible) with an obvious eye on the future (Okoye, Lattimore, Looney, etc.).
  • So while players such as QB McCoy, WR Williams, OLB Haralson and DL Tukuafu/Dobbs are all safe and known products, at what point do the youngsters immediate talent, multi-faceted skill sets and long-term growth/development/potential overtake the aforementioned? Perhaps, that time is now...

LOL.
Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, Joe Staley, Patrick Willis, Michael Crabtree, Justin Smith, Tarrell Brown, Ray Mac, Ahmad Brooks, Alex Boone

Yeah, real clear purge going on there. Just the core of our team from the previous regime.
Originally posted by 9erReign:
LOL.
Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, Joe Staley, Patrick Willis, Michael Crabtree, Justin Smith, Tarrell Brown, Ray Mac, Ahmad Brooks, Alex Boone

Yeah, real clear purge going on there. Just the core of our team from the previous regime.

Oh come on, that's not what I meant! LOL. I'm talking about all the players we got rid of for younger, more talented players that this FO recognized and coached up...Brooks for Lawson, anybody for Mays, Boone for Chilo, anyone or nobody for Snyde/Harris, Rogers for Clements, etc. The point I was making is that they evaluated talent when they got here and purged the less talented players for younger players with more upside and then coached them up into what they are now. That wasn't to say there wasn't a ton of unrealized potential already when they arrived...it all just hadn't been recognized/harnessed yet!
[ Edited by NCommand on May 21, 2013 at 2:19 PM ]
Originally posted by 9erReign:
LOL.

Oh come on, that's not what I meant! LOL. I'm talking about all the players we got rid of for younger, more talented players that this FO recognized and coached up...Brooks for Lawson, anybody for Mays, Boone for Chilo, anyone or nobody for Snyde/Harris, Harris for Clements, etc. The point I was making is that they evaluated talent when they got here and purged the less talented players for younger players with more upside and then coached them up into what they are now. That wasn't to say there wasn't a ton of unrealized potential already when they arrived...it all just hadn't been recognized/harnessed yet!

Yeah, but Boone lived on the practice squad for a long time sir. These fringe dudes don't get added to the active roster so quickly.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Yeah, but Boone lived on the practice squad for a long time sir. These fringe dudes don't get added to the active roster so quickly.

I tend to think that what you are saying is generally true. But, that does not mean that it is always true.

Harbaugh and Baalke might be willing to keep nominally fringe players like Lockette or Okoye on the 53-man roster, if the coaches feel good about their upside.

I am almost willing to bet that Lockette makes the roster.

Almost being the key word in that sentence; close to ready, but not quite.

I couldn't agree more AND he needed some serious rehabbing and development time before he got his chance/start. This coaching staff has demonstrated that they have no issues taking time to develop these guys...like a good pitching prospect, they bring him along slowly.

That said, on the opposite end of the spectrum, we see a player like Miller (OLB to FB) start from day 1. Reid's expected to start from day 1. Maybe this year we'll see Looney/Kilgore for Goodwin?; Culliver for Rogers? AJ for Williams in the slot?

But overall, I agree with you...

PS: What Buck said ^. LOL
[ Edited by NCommand on May 21, 2013 at 2:26 PM ]

I couldn't agree more AND he needed some serious rehabbing and development time before he got his chance/start. This coaching staff has demonstrated that they have no issues taking time to develop these guys...like a good pitching prospect, they bring him along slowly.

That said, on the opposite end of the spectrum, we see a player like Miller (OLB to FB) start from day 1. Reid's expected to start from day 1. Maybe this year we'll see Looney/Kilgore for Goodwin?; Culliver for Rogers? AJ for Williams in the slot?

But overall, I agree with you...

...when are we trading Joe Staley tho?
...when are we trading Joe Staley tho?

You got me there bro! I was SO ready to get rid of him...wanted Boone to start over him badly with Looney/Kilgore at RG...Staley was constantly getting shoved back in short yardage, getting pwned in pass protection, etc. Yeah Staley, "You guys do kind of suck!" But he settled in and it seemed the entire line really changed. Maybe Boone brought some nastiness coupled with Davis and the whole line just gelled. I'm happy to eat some temporary crow on this one! "Staley, you're right, you don't suck...anymore!" LOL
Updated with the LS Kyle Nelson addition. Andy Lee has no competition now but Brian Jennings has 2 incumbents.
Well, updated my 53. Post #245 per losing Crabtree . Now we may see someone like Marlon Moore make the team as a returner and deep depth.
Wide Receiver
Updated with Goodwin's restructure (called it)...I think we can see a signing of Reid shortly after that as well.
  • pd24
  • Veteran

Boone was on the PS for 1 year and that was because he was out of shape and had a drinking problem. He had 1st round talent.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Updated...thanks AB.

With only 1.088M to spare, who is getting cut? Extended? Thoughts?

Yikes, we're strapped for cash right now. Not sure how much money is required to sign the rookie class.

Initially, I had Manningham and Haralson as potential cap casualties, but they've both taken massive pay cuts so it looks like they're staying. I suppose they could cut some low-end roster types to clear a few mil. Tramaine Brock is scheduled to make $1.3 mil and he's a 5th or 6th corner.

Iupati and Crabtree are logical choices for an extension. Justin Smith could be a good option for an extension. I think he's on the books for $7.5 mil this year. We could extend him a couple years and lower the cap figure for this year.

Agreed.

These are my top potential cuts:
Goodwin - $4,350,000 - Potential
Whitner - $4,100,000 - Potential
B.Jennings - $1,161,000 - Potential
Rogers - $1,110,937 - Potential

Also, Boldin could be another who restructures his contract as well. Goodwin could be a cap casualty d/t Looney/Kilgore's growth at C (and upside). Whitner (who gave up 14 TD's last year alone) could be replaced by the new FA, Dahl.

Yeah nailed that one on the head bud.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/43

I think Devery would be a solid signing