There are 169 users in the forums

2013 Team Needs - Updates

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Orlando49erfan:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Think I have the 90 on here now...lemme know if I'm missing anyone.

Did the 49ers fill the 90 man roster yet? last I looked they were still short, but then again I am in Miami Heat mode right now and enjoying the Steph Curry show

We may be a player or two short but as I see new names in the mix, I'll continue to add them to the "Who?" column. LOL. Enjoy...and good point about Andy Lee.
Originally posted by Garcia:
Remember when we cut donte whitner and goodwin for caproom?

Both? No way...one, is still a very strong possibility (probably more Goodwin given the proposed growth of Looney and Kilgore).
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Both? No way...one, is still a very strong possibility (probably more Goodwin given the proposed growth of Looney and Kilgore).
I am not in the camp thinking and projecting goodwin is gone. we have no clue if looney/kilgore can do the job and to be honest with you, I think it will take a heckuva lot more than off season workouts and even july and august practice to decide that. center is such a key part of the line I am not going to get rid of goodwin unless I know for damn sure someone else can do the job just as good or better. both of them have to practice and play the entire pre season at that position before we know for sure. There are alot of people getting crazy with the notion goodwin can be cut after lunch on august first and we will not miss a beat. i am not in that camp
Originally posted by cciowa:

I am not in the camp thinking and projecting goodwin is gone. we have no clue if looney/kilgore can do the job and to be honest with you, I think it will take a heckuva lot more than off season workouts and even july and august practice to decide that. center is such a key part of the line I am not going to get rid of goodwin unless I know for damn sure someone else can do the job just as good or better. both of them have to practice and play the entire pre season at that position before we know for sure. There are alot of people getting crazy with the notion goodwin can be cut after lunch on august first and we will not miss a beat. i am not in that camp

I don't think anyone would argue this one esp. given the C is the QB of the OL. That said, if Baalke/Harbaugh, etc. think either Looney/Kilgore are ready after a full year and full off season/pre season, they may be willing to take a few initial lumps for their upside/potential and allow them to grow on the field aside a very accomplished OL around them. We are also only around 1.4-1.5M under the current cap. There are always ways to restructure contracts, etc. to avoid cutting anyone but the FO has to weigh all those options esp. in the "long-term" light.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

I don't think anyone would argue this one esp. given the C is the QB of the OL. That said, if Baalke/Harbaugh, etc. think either Looney/Kilgore are ready after a full year and full off season/pre season, they may be willing to take a few initial lumps for their upside/potential and allow them to grow on the field aside a very accomplished OL around them. We are also only around 1.4-1.5M under the current cap. There are always ways to restructure contracts, etc. to avoid cutting anyone but the FO has to weigh all those options esp. in the "long-term" light.
agree,, what i would like to see is the team getting the plays called on time before we start messing with the center. i can not count the number of times I had a heart attack when the little play clock would start to show in the upper part of our tv screen .. also NC we have already done a number of restructuring and some guys like mario and paryls have taken pay cuts so I am not sure what else there is but to make actual cuts of people,. No matter if you are a school district or a nfl team there are only so many lights you can shut off and so many pieces of paper you can save, sooner or later it gets down to people
agree,, what i would like to see is the team getting the plays called on time before we start messing with the center. i can not count the number of times I had a heart attack when the little play clock would start to show in the upper part of our tv screen .. also NC we have already done a number of restructuring and some guys like mario and paryls have taken pay cuts so I am not sure what else there is but to make actual cuts of people,. No matter if you are a school district or a nfl team there are only so many lights you can shut off and so many pieces of paper you can save, sooner or later it gets down to people

Ha! No doubt the coaches have a few things they need to work on as well to say the least. I haven't read up so I don't know how close we are to signing all the rookies so this all may be a moot point but if not signed, you're right...we may end up with one of those veteran tough cuts that happen all the time.
Seems like we are more into restructuring or extending (and lowering 2013 #'s) than we are cutting people. Someone asked about other restructuring's. Justin is making 9 and Boldin is making 6 so one/both could be extended for a year and we could lower there base salary this year to save a lot of money and put it on next year's cap. Could just have them restructure and not extend but you would think we would have done that already with Justin if we wanted to ask him. Boldin doesn't seem like we would ask him since we just traded for him and that might create tension with us right off the bat. Don't think we could save more than 1-2 mil if we can work out Iupati's extension.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on May 13, 2013 at 4:51 PM ]
I dont' k know if Looney is ready or not, but with him and Okoye next to each other ( they are looking at him on OL also), would scare most men to death. NFL players might just shake their heads but those two guys, together, will give opponents a fright.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Seems like we are more into restructuring or extending (and lowering 2013 #'s) than we are cutting people. Someone asked about other restructuring's. Justin is making 9 and Boldin is making 6 so one/both could be extended for a year and we could lower there base salary this year to save a lot of money and put it on next year's cap. Could just have them restructure and not extend but you would think we would have done that already with Justin if we wanted to ask him. Boldin doesn't seem like we would ask him since we just traded for him and that might create tension with us right off the bat. Don't think we could save more than 1-2 mil if we can work out Iupati's extension.

I agree Gore_21! This FO knows how to wheel-and-deal and only gives out fair deals. Period. You mention Boldin and that is one contract I've been waiting on to get updated. He moved his whole family out to SF and in an interview, said he wants to stay put. Restructuring his deal may give us enough to sign the rest of our rookies and move on w/o having to make any difficult veteran cap cuts like so many other teams who have already had to do.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 14, 2013 at 6:55 AM ]
Kilgore is a vet now and Looney has a year behind him so I am comfortable with the back up positions in the middle...as much as can be...and I hope Looney can take over center this year. He is bigger, stronger and younger than Goodwin...but is he smarter or more able to lead the line? Hope so, don't know. Goodwin seemed like a stop gap, not a long term solution.

• Hopper
  • Veteran

I doubt it this late in the offseason. Once we sign our rookies the roster is pretty much set.
Originally posted by Hopper:

I doubt it this late in the offseason. Once we sign our rookies the roster is pretty much set.

It's still way too early and we need to sign our top draft picks and probably need to extend a contract (or two..someone like Boldin?). But right now, we're a little backed up against the cap. And don't forget, based on how some of these youngsters fair this off season, don't be surprised to see a big cut or two and a couple other acquisitions of veteran cuts as well. It happens every year...injuries happen as well during OTA's and pre season. Heck, we have been one of the more active teams well INTO the season as well. In short, we have our eyes on players and keep the door open...just in case. Haggans is a good example of this...
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
It's still way too early and we need to sign our top draft picks and probably need to extend a contract (or two..someone like Boldin?). But right now, we're a little backed up against the cap. And don't forget, based on how some of these youngsters fair this off season, don't be surprised to see a big cut or two and a couple other acquisitions of veteran cuts as well. It happens every year...injuries happen as well during OTA's and pre season. Heck, we have been one of the more active teams well INTO the season as well. In short, we have our eyes on players and keep the door open...just in case. Haggans is a good example of this...

He was signed for the vet minimum. You don't need much cap space to make those signings or add someone off waivers/practice squad.
Originally posted by Hopper:
He was signed for the vet minimum. You don't need much cap space to make those signings or add someone off waivers/practice squad.

That's my point really. This FO are movers and shakers with a constant eye on bringing in talent for cheap for competition/depth reasons. Look how cheap we got Boldin and Nnamdi. Now we'll see what the pre season brings...seems like there are STILL a lot of quality FA's out there and we'll see how pre season developments occur. Just don't assume we're done...it's still way too early.
That's my point really. This FO are movers and shakers with a constant eye on bringing in talent for cheap for competition/depth reasons. Look how cheap we got Boldin and Nnamdi. Now we'll see what the pre season brings...seems like there are STILL a lot of quality FA's out there and we'll see how pre season developments occur. Just don't assume we're done...it's still way too early.

While I wouldn't mind us doing things, it's going to mean we waive a few players to get room for our rookies and potential FAs.

I think the following players could be waived still:

Goodwin-$$$

Some players can be restructured/re-signed:

Justin
Gore
Rogers
Boldin
Whitner
Share 49ersWebzone