There are 72 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 Team Needs - Updates

  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,350
I think SS and CB are still a top need. C. Rogers, Nnamdi and Whitner are all up there in age and isn't Tarrell Brown on his last year of his contract??
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I think SS and CB are still a top need. C. Rogers, Nnamdi and Whitner are all up there in age and isn't Tarrell Brown on his last year of his contract??

Agreed. You can bet your bottom dollar that we'll be trading up next year for our target CB. It seems our front office is hoping that our pass rush is gonna cover up for our secondary this year...again. God, I hope Nnamdi works out...
Originally posted by Shanghai69er:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I think SS and CB are still a top need. C. Rogers, Nnamdi and Whitner are all up there in age and isn't Tarrell Brown on his last year of his contract??

Agreed. You can bet your bottom dollar that we'll be trading up next year for our target CB. It seems our front office is hoping that our pass rush is gonna cover up for our secondary this year...again. God, I hope Nnamdi works out...

its hard to have everything
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by Shanghai69er:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I think SS and CB are still a top need. C. Rogers, Nnamdi and Whitner are all up there in age and isn't Tarrell Brown on his last year of his contract??

Agreed. You can bet your bottom dollar that we'll be trading up next year for our target CB. It seems our front office is hoping that our pass rush is gonna cover up for our secondary this year...again. God, I hope Nnamdi works out...

its hard to have everything


It's nearly impossible to have everything with the salary cap, and if you have to choose, it's much better to have pass rushers then DB's.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by Shanghai69er:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I think SS and CB are still a top need. C. Rogers, Nnamdi and Whitner are all up there in age and isn't Tarrell Brown on his last year of his contract??

Agreed. You can bet your bottom dollar that we'll be trading up next year for our target CB. It seems our front office is hoping that our pass rush is gonna cover up for our secondary this year...again. God, I hope Nnamdi works out...

its hard to have everything


It's nearly impossible to have everything with the salary cap, and if you have to choose, it's much better to have pass rushers then DB's.

Agreed. I've always bought into the idea that you should build the team from the inside out. Find your QB, build the trenches, then focus on the skill guys who lineup on the outside.

The secondary is in good shape. Plenty of talent here. Whitner and Brown are in the last year of their deals. Rogers is getting up there in age. So is Asomugha, who is on a 1-year deal. But we can't worry about that right now. It will sort itself out in the off-season. Baalke has been adept at filling our needs for the past several seasons.
Alright great time to revisit this one and see how we did as well as plan for needs going forward:

This is what I had after the FA signings and coming into the draft and here is what we did. These were my priorities in order of importance (check post #1 for more details):
Ring #6 - Duh...we're working on this one and like one draft prognosticator said, "...Baalke is building a dynasty!"
Top Tier FS (may need a & SS as well) - it's safe to say the FO got their man! Reid, come on down. And BTW: "can your daughter play too?"
Top Tier TE - Roman got HIS man in Vance McDonald. Team also brought in MarQueis Gray as a project as well.
Top Tier DE - Tomsula just had Christmas with getting Cornellius Carradine, Quinton Dial and a major project in Lawrence Okoye and to a lesser degree, Mike Purcell. He, obviously, has been a good boy all year long!
Top or Second Tier CB - exactly like the NT position below, only picking up Marcus Cooper screams to me SCHEME is the THEME. Look for bigger, stronger, taller more physical starting CB's this year to play press more and perhaps, all across the DB lineup. Look for our shiftier CB's to move into the slot to cover the micro-talented WR's of Harvin and Austin. Maybe even Darryl Morris?
Top or Second Tier NT - well, let's be real here. Passing up every single NT in the draft tell me SCHEME is the new THEME in 2013. Look for many more 4-man DL and inside and outside pass rushers.
Second Tier WR - seriously? With AJ red-shirted last year, we're about to see his skill set and THEN we added Patton as well to the mix?
Second Tier T - we needed a "swing" T so we got two: Carter Bykowski and Luke Marquardt
Second Tier C - Patrick Omameh and Sherman Carter were added to compete with our red shirted Looney and Kilgore
Second Tier OLB - Corey Lemonier was added as an Ahmad Brooks clone
Second Tier WR/KR - I have read that Patton has addition skills as returning kicks but we didn't pick up a "true" return man here and we still have James/Williams for now. Maybe AJ as well. We also recently picked up WR/KR Chuck Jacobs, Utah State.
Second Tier PK/ST - we are LOADED on ST's now. More additions include Nick Moody to back up Willis/Bowman and hell, we even picked up B.J. Daniels for the PS so the defense can practice against a Russel Wilson clone all year! We also got taller with many of the DE's and additions.

And did I mentioned we also acquired a 3rd for next year AND Gire 2.0? We also may have picked up a key backup to Miller in Alex Debniak.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 29, 2013 at 6:45 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Alright great time to revisit this one and see how we did as well as plan for needs going forward:

This is what I had after the FA signings and coming into the draft and here is what we did. These were my priorities in order of importance (check post #1 for more details):
Ring #6 - Duh...we're working on this one and like one draft prognosticator said, "...Baalke is building a dynasty!"
Top Tier FS (may need a & SS as well) - it's safe to say the FO got their man! Reid, come on down. And BTW: "can your daughter play too?"
Top Tier TE - Roman got HIS man in Vance McDonald. Team also brought in MarQueis Gray as a project as well.
Top Tier DE - Tomsula just had Christmas with getting Cornellius Carradine, Quinton Dial and a major project in Lawrence Okoye and to a lesser degree, Mike Purcell. He, obviously, has been a good boy all year long!

Top or Second Tier CB - exactly like the NT position below, only picking up Marcus Cooper screams to me SCHEME is the THEME. Look for bigger, stronger, taller more physical starting CB's this year to play press more and perhaps, all across the DB lineup. Look for our shiftier CB's to move into the slot to cover the micro-talented WR's of Harvin and Austin. Maybe even Darryl Morris?
Top or Second Tier NT - well, let's be real here. Passing up every single NT in the draft tell me SCHEME is the new THEME in 2013. Look for many more 4-man DL and inside and outside pass rushers.
Second Tier WR - seriously? With AJ red-shirted last year, we're about to see his skill set and THEN we added Patton as well to the mix?
Second Tier T - we needed a "swing" T so we got two: Carter Bykowski and Luke Marquardt
Second Tier C - Patrick Omameh and Sherman Carter were added to compete with our red shirted Looney and Kilgore
Second Tier OLB - Corey Lemonier was added as an Ahmad Brooks clone
Second Tier WR/KR - I have read that Patton has addition skills as returning kicks but we didn't pick up a "true" return man here and we still have James/Williams for now. Maybe AJ too?
Second Tier PK/ST - we are LOADED on ST's now. More additions include Nick Moody to back up Willis/Bowman and hell, we even picked up B.J. Daniels for the PS so the defense can practice against a Russel Wilson clone all year! We also got taller with many of the DE's and additions.

And did I mentioned we also acquired a 3rd for next year AND Gire 2.0? We also may have picked up a key backup to Miller in Alex Debniak.

Champeeensheeep!
Originally posted by Beeker:
Champeeensheeep!

Cerealessly!
Added Adam Snyder and when we officially add all the UDFA's, I'll add those as well. AB will update the salary cap as always. Thanks AB.
how much did snyder cost us cap wise. probaly joe staley would probaly take a paycut to free up room for snyder?
Originally posted by DUB9IROCZ:
how much did snyder cost us cap wise. probaly joe staley would probaly take a paycut to free up room for snyder?

Not sure yet but once AB has the actual details, he'll post here (and I'll update this thread): http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/98000-2013-49ers-salaries-2178-million-under-cap/

There are several different directions this FO can go...I don't expect a big contract by any means.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 6, 2013 at 5:48 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,242
Originally posted by BrianGO:
It's nearly impossible to have everything with the salary cap, and if you have to choose, it's much better to have pass rushers then DB's.

i think brian is spot on
Yup, amen Brian. How's this for our opening day D lineup:

big mac, Justin, aldon, dorsey, tank, brooks, p-52, bowman, Lemonier, Dial, and Reid. Just for one play to scare the beejaysus out of the opposing Qb. It sure would look impressive tho.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Yup, amen Brian. How's this for our opening day D lineup:

big mac, Justin, aldon, dorsey, tank, brooks, p-52, bowman, Lemonier, Dial, and Reid. Just for one play to scare the beejaysus out of the opposing Qb. It sure would look impressive tho.

Jail break...and given that Rogers, er RoDgers, Culliver and Brown are ALL, for the first time, being pushed by some real competition, I expect all to rise and play better, more aggressive and have less laps in concentration/broken coverages; hopefully they show more focus and desire (talking to you Carlos!). The only one not really being pushed is Whitner unfortunately. Maybe Dahl is moved to SS and competes with him but I'm not sure.

I saw very few times the DB's were going for the knock downs and even less for the INT's esp. compared to the previous year...like they were coached this way; wait until the ball hits the receiver and then play the ball. I saw a huge difference in how these DB's played not only in scheme (no more undercutting routes, breaking off other routes, etc.) and an even bigger difference in their own techniques (very little physicality at all, not watching the QB while keeping their receiver in front of them, etc.). It's like they were trying to adhere to the NFL rules of not breathing on a WR anymore...until Seattle came along. Now Baalke is all about getting CB's who are bigger, stronger, faster, more physical up at the LOS, intimidating, can jump, long arms, etc. I wonder if we'll see a shift in both scheme and technique this year d/t Baalke...Fangio/Do-not-tell.
First post all updated (minus the salary cap). Anyone know what is up with this signing?

P - Anthony Santella