There are 228 users in the forums

2013 Team Needs - Updates

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Beeker:
I think the entire secondary is essentially an open competition come TC this year. The best 4 or 5 players will start, regardless of what their listed position is. Make sense, or am I just nucking futs?

No, not at all...that's been my prediction from day 1...that we'd see a totally different secondary. And then Goldson leaves, Nnamdi signs, so does Dahl, etc. Bath resigns. Spillman and Robinson and Culliver? And oh yeah, the draft is right around the corner! What to do with Rogers? Whitner's salary?

Ask them both to restructure? I know Rogers doesn't save much, and Whitner is in the $4 mil range if cut ... I can see Rogers staying, but (and this depends a LOT on the draft) the more I look at it, the more I can see Whitner possibly a last week of TC cut.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
NC.... Goodwin, Jennings, Whitner , Rogers....you were talking about cutting them, redoing salaries, or combo of both?

Well, if I had to guess:
Goodwin - potential june 1st cut if Looney/Kilgore are worthy or potential restructure to stay but starting battle will be fierce
Jennings - no clue on this one but someone had mentioned previously that 1.6M may be too high for a long snapper if we have a viable backup
Whitner - if Dahl/Robinson seems to be picking up the SS position as quickly as expected, Whitner could be a June 1st cut or restructure. I expect the FS to be a first round rookie to compete with Spillman.
Rogers - highly doubt he gets cut b/c of the dead money BUT he may be asked to restructure d/t Nnamdi's emergence
Hmm. . .

If Kilgore could do the long snapping, and take over at center, that would allow the team to cut BOTH Goodwin AND Jennings, saving significant money and opening up two additional spots on the 53 man roster.

I don't see that happening right away, but eventually it could. If the coaches decide they need to keep an extra DB or WR, I could see a vet being let go.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
NC.... Goodwin, Jennings, Whitner , Rogers....you were talking about cutting them, redoing salaries, or combo of both?

Well, if I had to guess:
Goodwin - potential june 1st cut if Looney/Kilgore are worthy or potential restructure to stay but starting battle will be fierce
Jennings - no clue on this one but someone had mentioned previously that 1.6M may be too high for a long snapper if we have a viable backup
Whitner - if Dahl/Robinson seems to be picking up the SS position as quickly as expected, Whitner could be a June 1st cut or restructure. I expect the FS to be a first round rookie to compete with Spillman.
Rogers - highly doubt he gets cut b/c of the dead money BUT he may be asked to restructure d/t Nnamdi's emergence
Hmm. . .

If Kilgore could do the long snapping, and take over at center, that would allow the team to cut BOTH Goodwin AND Jennings, saving significant money and opening up two additional spots on the 53 man roster.

I don't see that happening right away, but eventually it could. If the coaches decide they need to keep an extra DB or WR, I could see a vet being let go.

I didn't think about Looney/Kilgore taking over center and LS. I reckon that's why I'm not employed in an NFL FO.

Well, if I had to guess:
Hmm. . .

Good thoughts! Baalke has to consider ALL of these things and these decisions happen all the time esp. around June 1st.

Me, personally, I'm more worried about production. And giving up 14 TD's including 2 in the Superbowl and us continuing to play taller, bigger TE's and slot WR's, can we really do worse than Whitner (despite his salary)? I love the guy too...class act, very well spoken, leader, etc. BUT he gets pwned and has been pwned in coverage consistently since he arrived and it has little to do with the Smith's/pass rush.

So how do we fix this? It's almost as big a need as the vacated FS spot. B/c teams will continue to target him and create mismatches in the RZ/EZ esp. now that it's even more apparent. We had two weeks to prepare for this weakness/matchup and he still gave up 2 easy TD's in the Superbowl. This means it isn't correctable. Can we scheme better? Match up a taller, more physical FS on TE's and the taller slot WR's such as, cough cough, Goldson? Oops.

Thoughts?
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 12, 2013 at 4:43 PM ]
Good thoughts! Baalke has to consider ALL of these things and these decisions happen all the time esp. around June 1st.

Me, personally, I'm more worried about production. And giving up 14 TD's including 2 in the Superbowl and us continuing to play taller, bigger TE's and slot WR's, can we really do worse than Whitner (despite his salary)? I love the guy too...class act, very well spoken, leader, etc. BUT he gets pwned and has been pwned in coverage consistently since he arrived and it has little to do with the Smith's/pass rush.

So how do we fix this? It's almost as big a need as the vacated FS spot. B/c teams will continue to target him and create mismatches in the RZ/EZ esp. now that it's even more apparent. We had two weeks to prepare for this weakness/matchup and he still gave up 2 easy TD's in the Superbowl. This means it isn't correctable. Can we scheme better? Match up a taller, more physical FS on TE's and the taller slot WR's such as, cough cough, Goldson? Oops.

Thoughts?

My only *gripe* with this is the fact that on the TE TD he gave up, dude blatantly pushed him off. Having said that, yeah, he definitely gets pwnd far too often.
Hmm. . .

It's easy to overlook Jennings' value, but how many long snaps has he missed in his entire career? I can't think of one in the last 8 years. That counts for something.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
It's easy to overlook Jennings' value, but how many long snaps has he missed in his entire career? I can't think of one in the last 8 years. That counts for something.

who remembers the raiders game when they lost their LS....

Thoughts?

One of their first three picks will be a tallish safety with a strong vertical leap like Cyprien, Elam or Reid.
Originally posted by gold49digger:

who remembers the raiders game when they lost their LS....

That was a NIGHTMARE
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
jennings is not going anywhere. the minute you start to pooh pooh special teams, you will get bit in the ass . jennings is one one trick pony that we will keep

What we really need....#6. Thank you.
Originally posted by BrodieToKwalick:
What we really need....#6. Thank you.

I added it!

I also added a Top Tier TE to my #2 need behind a starting FS and DE and CB/NT.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 13, 2013 at 7:34 AM ]
Jennings is an extremely accurate long snapper. But his production on special teams--as a tackler--seemed to decrease last year, and he is getting rather long in the tooth ("old"), so his playing days are numbered and his best playing days are behind him. Nobody lasts forever.

Is it time for him to move on? Would keeping him another year be "overlookikng" the fact that he's older and might be on the downside of his career?

The Niners are going to have to replace him at some point. Is this the year?

Questions the FO has to answer, not us.

Thank goodness.
Originally posted by cciowa:
jennings is not going anywhere. the minute you start to pooh pooh special teams, you will get bit in the ass . jennings is one one trick pony that we will keep
You mean like last year? I don't think they're overlooking ST this year. Seemed to be a focus during FA.

That being said, however, grooming a long snapper to replace Jennings may have been done last year without much public attention. I doubt that Harbaugh would risk having only one guy who could fill that role. I thought I read that Kilgore was practicing the skill. Is he ready to take over? If he is it would save a spot on the 53 man roster.

So the question for you might come down to who to keep: an excellent but aging long snapper, or an extra DB (Asomujgha?) for a secondary in need of help?
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Apr 13, 2013 at 2:22 PM ]
Rhodes and Mikell are still out there. Any chance?
Share 49ersWebzone