LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 331 users in the forums

I hope Dorsey and Woodson walk into 49ers headquarters and come out as 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by lamontb:
I'm good with Dorsey but not so hype about Woodson but it's not much out there there they can afford at that position.

I think Woodson is perfect for what the Niners need.

They aren't looking for a guy to be around for 5 or 6 years. They are looking for a guy who can help them NOW while they groom a draft pick who is FAR, FAR cheaper than Goldson.

I liked Reed better than Woodson, but those were the two guys I was looking at all along.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Mar 13, 2013 at 11:05 AM ]
For all the struggles in the post-season, the biggest thing we forget is the impact a less than 100% Justin Smith had. It exposed the secondaries coverage weaknesses including Goldson's. I believe Woodson/Reed would be better in pass defense than Goldson while lacking a bit in run defense. Considering we have Whitner, whose strength is run d, the best pass defending FS we can find would seem to be ideal. With our D-line healthy, restocked, and Justin Smith ready to go, I would suspect whoever we have back there will get some opportunities for interceptions. Pair Woodson/Reed with a early round safety and I would expect very little drop of in center field for a lower price.

In a perfect world of course I'd take Goldson, but I'd also rather give that money to Kaep, Iupati, Davis, and Crabtree.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Mar 13, 2013 at 11:14 AM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I'm good with Dorsey but not so hype about Woodson but it's not much out there there they can afford at that position.

I think Woodson is perfect for what the Niners need.

They aren't looking for a guy to be around for 5 or 6 years. They are looking for a guy who can help them NOW while they groom a draft pick who is FAR, FAR cheaper than Goldson.

I liked Reed better than Woodson, but those were the two guys I was looking at all along.

^^^^^^
Dorsey and Woodson are good for now. We will supplement and build through the draft like the smart teams do.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Dorsey and Woodson are good for now. We will supplement and build through the draft like the smart teams do.

i know this is not on topic but the kicker thing is a little mystery. four days ago it was almost a given that we would sign the guy from the giants. guess that is one of those things that can be acted upon on day three or four
Originally posted by cciowa:

i know this is not on topic but the kicker thing is a little mystery. four days ago it was almost a given that we would sign the guy from the giants. guess that is one of those things that can be acted upon on day three or four

If they are smart they will draft the kicker from FSU.

Or Sturgis. To tell the truth I'd rather have Sturgis who has a reputation of being a big-time clutch kicker, money when it really matters the most. The way he was booming 50 yard+ field goals at the Combine really took care of any questions about his leg strength either.
Here's what I'd like to see happen (3 more veteran signings along with 4 high picks):

- Dorsey signs and essentially replaces RJF
- Draft a NT with on of our first 5 picks (Hankins, Jenkins, JWilliams, BWilliams, Hughes, etc.)
- Woodson signs and replaces Whitner (who is released) at SS; Trenton Robinson backs up Woodson and is the eventual SS
- We sign a veteran CB to a reasonable contract after the market cools; move Culliver to FS (like the Texans did with Glover Quin)
- Draft a FS with one of our first 5 picks in the event Culliver doesn't work out (Cyprien, Reid, PhThomas, etc.)
- Draft a 3-4 DE and a 3-4 OLB with one of our first five picks to add to the pass rush

For example:

1.) Jesse Williams, DE/NT - Alabama
2a.) Jamie Collins, DE/OLB - So. Miss.
2b.) Eric Reid, S - LSU
3a.) Da'Rick Rogers, WR - Tenn St.
3b.) Devin Taylor, DE - South Carolina
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 13, 2013 at 11:38 AM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Here's what I'd like to see happen (3 more veteran signings along with 4 high picks):

- Draft a NT with on of our first 5 picks (Hankins, Jenkins, JWilliams, BWilliams, Hughes, etc.)
- Woodson signs and replaces Whitner (who is released) at SS; Trenton Robinson backs up Woodson and is the eventual SS
- We sign a veteran CB to a reasonable contract after the market cools; move Culliver to FS (like the Texans did with Glover Quin)
- Draft a FS with one of our first 5 picks in the event Culliver doesn't work out (Cyprien, Reid, PhThomas, etc.)
- Draft a 3-4 DE and a 3-4 OLB with one of our first five picks to add to the pass rush

Trenton Robinson really isn't the strong safety type. I know the move is more towards having basically two hybrid safeties....but Robinson really falls more into the mold of a coverage safety. Teams had even considered him at cornerback prior to the draft. Not sure why you wouldn't just keep him at free safety and draft a strong safety as the draft is loaded with guys who are hard hitters, solid but not great coverage guys.

Let's say the 49ers even trade for Revis and they give up their 1st rounder or one of their 2nd's and a conditional pick next year to get him. You have Revis and Brown at CB, you can try Culliver at safety or put Robinson there. Play Whitner at strong safety or draft someone to take over that spot, having 2 1st year safeties probably isn't the best idea though. Next year, you let Brown walk as a free agent, you cut Rogers, you end up with Culliver and Revis as your starters at CB plus Robinson and whichever rookie was drafted this year at SS.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 13, 2013 at 11:39 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
meh, they dont move the needle for me

Dorsey yes! Woodson pass
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Or Sturgis. To tell the truth I'd rather have Sturgis who has a reputation of being a big-time clutch kicker, money when it really matters the most. The way he was booming 50 yard+ field goals at the Combine really took care of any questions about his leg strength either.

Yeah I like Sturgis as well.
Yeah I like Sturgis as well.

Hopkins has a bigger leg, Sturgis is more accurate. It really comes down to which factor is considered more necessary.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Would love both of them, especially Woodson. I'm not sure Dorsey is the right fit in 3-4. He struggled a bit in that system, but maybe KC was asking him to do different things? We are more aggressive, so that should work in his favor.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Trenton Robinson really isn't the strong safety type. I know the move is more towards having basically two hybrid safeties....but Robinson really falls more into the mold of a coverage safety. Teams had even considered him at cornerback prior to the draft. Not sure why you wouldn't just keep him at free safety and draft a strong safety as the draft is loaded with guys who are hard hitters, solid but not great coverage guys.

Primarily because many teams seem to be moving away from having/needing the hard-hitting types (especially with the new rules) and more towards the coverage guys. But that said, if Robinson is better at FS, I have no issue with that. I just don't think he quite has the size you want (just under 5'10") in the middle of the field, and is probably better suited as a solid cover SS type who can even take on guys in the slot.
Share 49ersWebzone