There are 40 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Ghost and Fro's attempt at insight, humor, and discussing the 2013 49ers FA Bonanza!

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Ghost, any chance if Nnamdi is signed by the Niners, that we convert him to our FS? He was one at Cal, and reports are he's lost a step. It was around the same age (early 30s) that we signed another former pro-bowl CB and made him our FS (the great Rod Woodson) back in '97. Another Woodson, Charles, seems to have adapted to being a FS. Maybe he's not a great CB anymore, but would still be hell of a FS. Or are we looking at him solely as a starting CB?

*FYI, I'm just trying to think out of the box*

I think that's a possibility down the road, but I don't think they'd sign Nnamdi to play safety this year or even next. Also, Woodson primarily played SS at Green Bay this year...he played down in the slot too, but when he lined up in the secondary, he was pretty much their SS. So if they sign Woodson, it could mean the end of Whitner's time here.

I could see this happening. I'm still of the opinion that Robinson is the starting FD coming out of TC. Nnamdi and Brown at CB, Woodson and Robinson at S. Thoughts?
[ Edited by Beeker on Mar 13, 2013 at 3:51 PM ]
Btw, I'll go on record as saying I'm more in favor of trading for Revis than I am signing Nnamdi. I think we could sign Revis to a long extension (after he shows he can move around like he used to), spread his cap hit over a 5-6 year window and while we're competing for championships every year, you reduce his whining/moaning.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 13, 2013 at 4:02 PM ]
Btw, I'll go on record as saying I'm more in favor of trading for Revis than I am signing Nnamdi. I think once we could sign Revis to a long extension (after he shows he can move around like he used to), spread his cap hit over a 5-6 year window and while we're competing for championships every year, you reduce his whining/moaning.

Front load/bonus the contract to alleviate cap hit later?
Originally posted by Beeker:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Ghost, any chance if Nnamdi is signed by the Niners, that we convert him to our FS? He was one at Cal, and reports are he's lost a step. It was around the same age (early 30s) that we signed another former pro-bowl CB and made him our FS (the great Rod Woodson) back in '97. Another Woodson, Charles, seems to have adapted to being a FS. Maybe he's not a great CB anymore, but would still be hell of a FS. Or are we looking at him solely as a starting CB?

*FYI, I'm just trying to think out of the box*

I think that's a possibility down the road, but I don't think they'd sign Nnamdi to play safety this year or even next. Also, Woodson primarily played SS at Green Bay this year...he played down in the slot too, but when he lined up in the secondary, he was pretty much their SS. So if they sign Woodson, it could mean the end of Whitner's time here.

I could see this happening. I'm still of the opinion that Robinson is the starting FD coming out of TC. Nnamdi and Brown at CB, Woodson and Robinson at S. Thoughts?

If we get a veteran CB, I can see Robinson, Culliver and a relatively high draft pick fighting it out over the FS position....the runner up gets a nickel/dime DB role.
Btw, I'll go on record as saying I'm more in favor of trading for Revis than I am signing Nnamdi. I think once we could sign Revis to a long extension (after he shows he can move around like he used to), spread his cap hit over a 5-6 year window and while we're competing for championships every year, you reduce his whining/moaning.

Exactly, and as the cap expands in 2015, it will be much easier to work around. And by that time, we would've likely been in and hopefully won a few more Super Bowls.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 13, 2013 at 4:01 PM ]

Exactly, and as the cap expands in 2015, it will be much easier to work around. And by that time, we would've likely been in and hopefully won a few more Super Bowls.

Ok, screw it. Let's git r done!
If we get a veteran CB, I can see Robinson, Culliver and a relatively high draft pick fighting it out over the FS position....the runner up gets a nickel/dime DB role.

Could even be 2 rookies, we'll see. The secondary is definitely fluid right now. Brown is the only guy who doesn't have performance questions. Culliver's performance took a dive halfway through the year. Rogers is underwelming at this point, cut has guaranteed money, so we won't cut him. Whitner is an in-the-box safety and gets routinely beat deep.

Like I said, the only guy that we can for sure put in the starting lineup is Brown. Everything else will come together over the offseason.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Could even be 2 rookies, we'll see. The secondary is definitely fluid right now. Brown is the only guy who doesn't have performance questions. Culliver's performance took a dive halfway through the year. Rogers is underwelming at this point, cut has guaranteed money, so we won't cut him. Whitner is an in-the-box safety and gets routinely beat deep.

Like I said, the only guy that we can for sure put in the starting lineup is Brown. Everything else will come together over the offseason.

Absolutely this. Grab a S and/or CB or 2 in the draft ..... probably sing a mid-tier FA or 2, and let them all fight it out in camp.
If they do trade for Revis, they can just play him at this $6M cap number for all of 2013 to make sure he's healthy and back to normal (and it is in his best financial interest to be back in top form). If he is, he'd be worth the big money they would have to spend on extending him. Worse case, they franchise tag him and keep him around for a year or two (not likely, but always a possibility). Absolute worse case, he doesn't round back into shape (which is clearly not in his best interest), you lose a low 2nd and whatever else we traded for him. Bummer, but not a death blow to the franchise given how many other picks we had in 2013 (and are likely to get in comp picks in 2014).

So to me, Nnamdi is the safer bet, but doesn't have the youth or upside that Revis does. Revis has question marks (health, long-term money, attitude), but has way more on-field upside for more years than does Nnamdi.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 13, 2013 at 4:10 PM ]
If they do trade for Revis, they can just play him at this $6M cap number for all of 2013 to make sure he's healthy and back to normal (and it is in his best financial interest to be back in top form). If he is, he'd be worth the big money they would have to spend on him. Worse case, they franchise tag him and keep him around for a year or two (not likely, but always a possibility). Absolute worse case, he doesn't round back into shape (which is clearly not in his best interest), you lose a low 2nd and whatever else we traded for him. Bummer, but not a death blow to the franchise given how many other picks we had in 2013 (and are likely to get in comp picks in 2014).
I thought he had a contract clause stating he couldn't be franchised? Or is this coming year the last year of his current contract and that goes away?
If they do trade for Revis, they can just play him at this $6M cap number for all of 2013 to make sure he's healthy and back to normal (and it is in his best financial interest to be back in top form). If he is, he'd be worth the big money they would have to spend on extending him. Worse case, they franchise tag him and keep him around for a year or two (not likely, but always a possibility). Absolute worse case, he doesn't round back into shape (which is clearly not in his best interest), you lose a low 2nd and whatever else we traded for him. Bummer, but not a death blow to the franchise given how many other picks we had in 2013 (and are likely to get in comp picks in 2014).

So to me, Nnamdi is the safer bet, but doesn't have the youth or upside that Revis does. Revis has question marks (health, long-term money, attitude), but has way more on-field upside for more years than does Nnamdi.

I believe his current contract does not allow the franchise tag.
If they do trade for Revis, they can just play him at this $6M cap number for all of 2013 to make sure he's healthy and back to normal (and it is in his best financial interest to be back in top form). If he is, he'd be worth the big money they would have to spend on him. Worse case, they franchise tag him and keep him around for a year or two (not likely, but always a possibility). Absolute worse case, he doesn't round back into shape (which is clearly not in his best interest), you lose a low 2nd and whatever else we traded for him. Bummer, but not a death blow to the franchise given how many other picks we had in 2013 (and are likely to get in comp picks in 2014).
I thought he had a contract clause stating he couldn't be franchised? Or is this coming year the last year of his current contract and that goes away?

That's a good question. I don't know if the JETS can't franchise him, or if the team holding his contract (in this case, the 49ers, via trade) can't franchise him. That's not been made clear as far as I can tell.

We're not trading for Revis. Which I'm actually glad about, but "ha ha" we were fooled.

Pro Football focus was talking about how we are working out a trade of our two second round picks with the Raiders to move up into the top ten. Maybe we are going after an impact corner or DT?

Ha ha! The second part I just made up. Pretty funny huh?
Ok Ghost - another name to ponder.

Bernard Pollard

Edit: Wrong first name.
[ Edited by Beeker on Mar 13, 2013 at 4:22 PM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:

We're not trading for Revis. Which I'm actually glad about, but "ha ha" we were fooled.

Pro Football focus was talking about how we are working out a trade of our two second round picks with the Raiders to move up into the top ten. Maybe we are going after an impact corner or DT?

Ha ha! The second part I just made up. Pretty funny huh?