There are 132 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers trade for Anquan Boldin

Originally posted by YungAce:
still love this quote

"I called him up and said, 'Would you be interested?' He said, 'Heck yeah. I'll go talk to Trent"
—John Harbaugh on how Anquan Boldin trade transpired

Why would he call when he could just whisper to Jim from the top if the bunk bed?
Originally posted by almondJoy:
Originally posted by Empire49:
Originally posted by GMniner805:
That is a #1 reciever gentleman. Hope Crabtree was taking notes.

Stop this nonsense. Boldin had a great game, but don't sit there and act like Crabtree has never had a big game. He went for 172 yards and 2 TDs against Arizona last season. Boldin's performance was only around 30 more yards, with one less TD.

Michael Crabtree is the #1 receiver on this team.

Crab is the #1 and will be for a long time, if we can pay him; HOWEVER, right now I am luvin' me some old tough meat Boldin style...

Regardless of what happens when Crabs comes back, I'm hoping Boldin is at least catching crabtree's eye. There's a lot Crabs can learn from Boldin. Not just technical stuff, but mental toughness and perspective. He's got a work horse poise and confidence. First 200+ games since TO (right?) Not so much that he did that, it was that he did that with his first game on a new team! really incredible.

I really like what he said after the game eluding to the fact that every day's not going to be that big and that other receiver's are going to have their day. Volumes of maturity from this guy.

I hope this cat sticks around for a few more years.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by jimrat:
Like the way this guy blocks too, dude put the hurt on a Puker on Kaepernicks run

I loved that play. Looked down and started talking s**t right after. I want a gif of that.

that made me go "DAAAAMMMMNNNN" Boldin is a BEAST!

Just your ever day, blue collar, hard hat and lunch-pale kind of guy.

What a steal.
Dang John Harbaugh really did hook it up!

The Ravens dumped Boldin's $6 million salary. And the 49ers acquired a starting receiver for a draft pick that probably would not have produced a player capable of making the 49ers' 53-man roster, anyway.

"It was a situation where we were really working hard to try to do something to make it work for Anquan to stay (with the Ravens)," John Harbaugh said. "And, I believe Anquan was working hard, too. But when it came down to it, the numbers didn't work work for either side.

"In the end, we decided to make a couple calls. We knew it wasn't going to work out, as far as changing the contract around. So we were going to lose him. We thought we could work it out in the best interest of both parties.

"That's when John Harbaugh decided to make a phone call directly to his younger brother.

"I called him up and said, 'Would you be interested?' He said, 'Heck yeah. I'll go talk to Trent,'" said John Harbaugh, referring to 49ers general manager Trent Baalke.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/harbaugh-calls-harbaugh-boldin-trade-ensues

Resign him to a 3 year deal now!!!!
Originally posted by verb1der:

The Ravens dumped Boldin's $6 million salary. And the 49ers acquired a starting receiver for a draft pick that probably would not have produced a player capable of making the 49ers' 53-man roster, anyway.

"It was a situation where we were really working hard to try to do something to make it work for Anquan to stay (with the Ravens)," John Harbaugh said. "And, I believe Anquan was working hard, too. But when it came down to it, the numbers didn't work work for either side.

"In the end, we decided to make a couple calls. We knew it wasn't going to work out, as far as changing the contract around. So we were going to lose him. We thought we could work it out in the best interest of both parties.

"That's when John Harbaugh decided to make a phone call directly to his younger brother.

"I called him up and said, 'Would you be interested?' He said, 'Heck yeah. I'll go talk to Trent,'" said John Harbaugh, referring to 49ers general manager Trent Baalke.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/harbaugh-calls-harbaugh-boldin-trade-ensues

it's at least he could have done..since the ravens got a little help in the SB
it was interesting seeing vernon in the slot and boldin almost functioning like a tight end on some plays. boldin said they had some plays drawn up just for this game. suspect that the bunch formations / davis in the slot were those plays. every time it seemed boldin found space in the zone and time enough to eat a sandwich. not saying he wasn't spectacular himself, he made a handful of catches that nobody else active on the team would make, but the preparation by the coaching staff for this game turned gb's strategy around on them. great anticipation of gb gameplan and great execution by boldin / trust in that gameplan.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
You realize we need to thank Joe Flacco for getting Boldin. The insane contract "Average" Joe Flacco got necessitated the Ravens dumping players they would have liked to have kept. Thanks again Joe Flacco for your greed!
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by verb1der:

it's at least he could have done..since the ravens got a little help in the SB

Yup. Even though he looks like a dummy right now for doin it.
ravens had to let boldin go one way or another when he wouldn't restructure his contract. they had too many holes to fill on defense. thank boldin for not restructuring and baalke for having the 49ers in a position where they could handle that salary. boldin probably would have been released by ravens had we not traded for him.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Resign him to a 3 year deal now!!!!

def would love to bring him back for at least 2 more seasons
Originally posted by JDTical:
ravens had to let boldin go one way or another when he wouldn't restructure his contract. they had too many holes to fill on defense. thank boldin for not restructuring and baalke for having the 49ers in a position where they could handle that salary. boldin probably would have been released by ravens had we not traded for him.

This is common knowledge around these parts. That being said, I find it hard to believe that if the Niners turned down the offer, that no other team would've given a sixth or seventh for him. 6m/year is more than fair for Boldin who proved last year that he still has plenty in the tank. I'm thankful that John called Jim first.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
This is common knowledge around these parts. That being said, I find it hard to believe that if the Niners turned down the offer, that no other team would've given a sixth or seventh for him. 6m/year is more than fair for Boldin who proved last year that he still has plenty in the tank. I'm thankful that John called Jim first.

i'm not sure. boldin made noises about retiring if he were released. there are teams out there that may have traded a pick for him, too, but may have been hesitant to do so after those comments.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
worth a 6th round pick I guess
I think we can all safely say the curse of the #81 jersey is over.