There are 162 users in the forums

49ers trade for Anquan Boldin

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Beeker:
Ok, so here's my rationale for not keeping Manningham. If, as I think, he gets an injury settlement, does his salary still count against the cap? If not, then we got Boldin for a 6th rd pick and $1.05 million salary (Ham is due $4.95 mil this year).
my main thought for keeping him was that he was very good for us when he played and he is a good person on reverse plays. in the grand scheme of things, that is not enough to justify keeping him, especially if we can benefit long term money wise by getting rid of him. and as others have mentioned, he may miss a quarter of the year due to rehab unless he is the six million dollar man.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
We need Mario for Quality WR purposes. He will do better this year due to the QB

Originally posted by cciowa:
my main thought for keeping him was that he was very good for us when he played and he is a good person on reverse plays. in the grand scheme of things, that is not enough to justify keeping him, especially if we can benefit long term money wise by getting rid of him. and as others have mentioned, he may miss a quarter of the year due to rehab unless he is the six million dollar man.

Don't get me wrong, folks. I'm a BIG fan of Manningham. My biggest worry is the extent of his injury, ACL, MCL, and meniscus is no joke. Been in the medical field since I was 16 (about 27 years now) and I've seen people never WALK right again after an injury that serious. Do I hope Ham ccan come back at full strength? Heck yes I do! Will he? I just don't know. It's a head/heart thing, yanno?
We need Mario for Quality WR purposes. He will do better this year due to the QB

Don't get me wrong, folks. I'm a BIG fan of Manningham. My biggest worry is the extent of his injury, ACL, MCL, and meniscus is no joke. Been in the medical field since I was 16 (about 27 years now) and I've seen people never WALK right again after an injury that serious. Do I hope Ham ccan come back at full strength? Heck yes I do! Will he? I just don't know. It's a head/heart thing, yanno?

Taking a WR in FA would cost more and a Rookie would not see the field..in a tough position
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
Originally posted by TexasNiner915:
my money is we keep manninham too, he looked good before he got hurt. I dont see why we would let him go? Crabtree,Boldin,Manningham,Davis,Gore,Hunter,James,Kaep....this offense is STACKED!!!

Finally!

it always looks good on paper...maybe this is the year !
one problem is that we get to the end of the season, our wide outs get hurt and we are stuck with joe joe the monkey boy at wide out one of the main reasons i like our trade and new wide out very much. i agree, keep mario . i like kyle williams very much but i tell you if we can get cribbs, then kyle goes

Ok, so here's my rationale for not keeping Manningham. If, as I think, he gets an injury settlement, does his salary still count against the cap? If not, then we got Boldin for a 6th rd pick and $1.05 million salary (Ham is due $4.95 mil this year).

Good question. If Manningham was cut, we'd save $3,950,000 alone.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Good question. If Manningham was cut, we'd save $3,950,000 alone.

I was told it was $4.95 mil for Ham? It's either $3.95 or $4.95 mil, which means essentially Boldin's salary is $1.05 or $2.05 mil. Not a bad thing IF Ham's knee is trashed as bad as I suspect it is.

And thanks for jumping in here, NC. You know a lot more about the cap and salary situation than I do.
[ Edited by Beeker on Mar 12, 2013 at 10:07 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Taking a WR in FA would cost more and a Rookie would not see the field..in a tough position

i just cringe every time i see a mock draft and have us taking a wide out with the first round i would think any wide out we draft would come in round five or six.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Easier said...

Keeping Walker? I agree. Key is to get Q to restructure. He has to realize that he's not going to get more than $3 or $4 mil a year as a #2 and even that gets more iffy as he gets older. Taking a 3 year deal now at $3+ a year on a legitimate (and perennial) Super Bowl contender would be as good as he will get. I really hope D Walker sees the same kind of future..... $3 - $4 mil a year as a key component in a high powered offence. He has a unique skill set that fits what Harbaugh and Roman want to do. However, if he wants to be "the Guy" then there is no way he resigns in 9erland.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I was told it was $4.95 mil for Ham? It's either $3.95 or $4.95 mil, which means essentially Boldin's salary is $1.05 or $2.05 mil. Not a bad thing IF Ham's knee is trashed as bad as I suspect it is.

And thanks for jumping in here, NC. You know a lot more about the cap and salary situation than I do.
well that is good reasoning for letting him go especially if are active in the next few days plus we gotta have money to sign rookies, a practice squad and put some away to extend key guys down the line. i think the wild card, ace, unknown in all this is jenkins

well that is good reasoning for letting him go especially if are active in the next few days plus we gotta have money to sign rookies, a practice squad and put some away to extend key guys down the line. i think the wild card, ace, unknown in all this is jenkins

We should all know by now Harbaalke isn't done, not by a long shot. I expect to se more team cuts coming soon (Haralson, Haggans, possibly Goodwin) and letting a couple of others walk (Goldson for sure, maybe Walker). Me, personally, I think the FO will massage the cap just fine. We have several players on the roster that can fill in nicely as backups and/ or starters (Looney, Kilgore, Johnson, Robinson, Jenkins, Celek, etc.) for not a lot of money. I am keeping the faith the FO knows what they are doing FAR better than I. IF, by some stroke of sheer luck, what I THINK happens to line up with what they do, then I'm not quite as much a dumba$$
[ Edited by Beeker on Mar 12, 2013 at 10:16 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
The only problem is that both our TEs have trouble getting open underneath.

Sure.... with our #2 WR only drawing single coverage, and getting shut down by it, the defence was free to bring safety help over the LB on the TE and/or shift coverage to Crabs. Watch game film of the coverage on VD, he's almost always getting bracketed. What Walker did begin to show with Kap as QB was an ability to beat single coverage on the corner and out routes. He's good for 3/40 to 5/50 per game but its his versatility that makes him valuable in our offence. Only issue with Walker last year was too many drops. He was a WR in college so he does have hands and maybe just needs to refocus on his receiving skills (he did commit to improving his blocking last year).

Now add Boldin into this mix. Single coverage by the #2 CB and he will destroy the defence on short slants and comebacks. Double him or Crabs up with a safety and either TE is drawing single LB coverage. Opponents will have trouble shifting to the Nickel or Dime package because of the potential for a power run game from the 2TE set with Walker shifting to the H back. This should open up things underneath for both TE's.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
We should all know by now Harbaalke isn't done, not by a long shot. I expect to se more team cuts coming soon (Haralson, Haggans, possibly Goodwin) and letting a couple of others walk (Goldson for sure, maybe Walker). Me, personally, I think the FO will massage the cap just fine. We have several players on the roster that can fill in nicely as backups and/ or starters (Looney, Kilgore, Johnson, Robinson, Jenkins, Celek, etc.) for not a lot of money. I am keeping the faith the FO knows what they are doing FAR better than I. IF, by some stroke of sheer luck, what I THINK happens to line up with what they do, then I'm not quite as much a dumba$$
beeker, maybe i am just dumb but it seems to me those guys should have been cut already or at least in the next hour or so??
Class act

m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=9042930&top&wjb=
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mookster:
Sure.... with our #2 WR only drawing single coverage, and getting shut down by it, the defence was free to bring safety help over the LB on the TE and/or shift coverage to Crabs. Watch game film of the coverage on VD, he's almost always getting bracketed. What Walker did begin to show with Kap as QB was an ability to beat single coverage on the corner and out routes. He's good for 3/40 to 5/50 per game but its his versatility that makes him valuable in our offence. Only issue with Walker last year was too many drops. He was a WR in college so he does have hands and maybe just needs to refocus on his receiving skills (he did commit to improving his blocking last year).

Now add Boldin into this mix. Single coverage by the #2 CB and he will destroy the defence on short slants and comebacks. Double him or Crabs up with a safety and either TE is drawing single LB coverage. Opponents will have trouble shifting to the Nickel or Dime package because of the potential for a power run game from the 2TE set with Walker shifting to the H back. This should open up things underneath for both TE's.
and he will not get held up at the line of scrimmage and in the end zone when ck throws it up in the air,, he will get the ball. this is the big bodied nice hands, good blocking, leaping, good locker room guy we have been looking for

I'd put my money on the IR settlement with Manningham. He's not likely to be 100% in 2013 after which he's a free agent. Doesn't make sense to take the money risk and then lose him.
beeker, maybe i am just dumb but it seems to me those guys should have been cut already or at least in the next hour or so??

Just a gut feeling on my part is all. Could be just me talking out of my a$$. Could be a study of the roster, salary cap, free agency, and draft situations. We'll know a lot more by the end of the week.I suspect the FO may wait a few days to cut anyone - see hwo FA settles out and what players are getting for new contracts, and possibly let the market run down some before letting guys go so maybe they come back on cap friendly deals.
Share 49ersWebzone