LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 252 users in the forums

Possible Replacements for FS

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TXNinerFan52:
I think we will resign Goldson. I think Goldson will sign with us at a discount and have a good chance of winning the Super Bowl instead of signing with a lower tier team and having no chance at winning a bowl. Plus, this is a deep draft for safety's I think most team would rather build thru the draft.

Goldson taking a super bowl over money.....
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by TheRambler:
lol wtf. Hey guys let's release our SS who started in the Pro Bowl.

You do realize that Pro-Bowl safety allowed the MOST TD's out of ANY safety in the league during the regular season and playoffs with 12.

Being a Pro-Bowl player means absolutly nothing regarding how good a player actually is.

Very true, he was the worst db in the nfl in coverage, and even though he is good against the run, obviously that matters less and less every year that goes by in an increasingly passing league.

So YES let's release our SS who started in the pro bowl......I'm so glad he is not in charge of our team.......hell, let's get a pro bowl LT in Bushrod on the saints bc he went to the probowl, even though he is average at best.....wow logic has left the building.
Wilson from the cards would be an upgrade over whitner
Goldson should have just signed the nice contract we offered him last year. He is good in our defense; If he goes to another team he won't be as good; he best get alot of guaranteed money...
Originally posted by hateroids84:
Goldson should have just signed the nice contract we offered him last year. He is good in our defense; If he goes to another team he won't be as good; he best get alot of guaranteed money...

This. Look at nnamdi asamouah(sp?) the guy is either takin a pay cut or gettin the boot and people were slobbin on his knob two years ago.

In my opinion If goldson leaves he's played his last probowl. And won't be getting any rings
Whitner is overrated in run support and we saw how well he "got guys into position" in the playoffs. He is a liability on defense and needs to be treated as such. Let him go.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
CJ Spillman will be the man.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Beezy33:
Why does everyone want Reed? I know he's a good player, but if anything, he is questionable with late hits and/or fines just like our current FS.

Isn't he similar to Goldson, but older? He isn't going to be much cheaper than Goldson, so I think the chances of him signing in SF are slim.

Anyone who wants Reed sees him as a stop gap measure until a draft choice is capable of taking over the position. Both Reed and the draft choice are cheaper than Goldson alone.

For example...sign Reed and draft Cyprien to groom. If that pick is a first rounder,he'll get a 5 year deal that is FAR cheaper then what Goldson wants. If its a second round or later player, it'll be a 4 year deal.

That frees up money to resign key players and extend your championship window.

I would agree with this if Reed is looking for far less than $8M/yr that Goldson is seeking. We just can't put more money into the FS position, because we won't be able to do much in FA or extend the offense when it comes time. Some hard decisions are coming, but I'll stick with my gut that says Goldson is byebye and Reed won't sign in SF. Baalke will draft a FS and use Spillman/Robinson/McBath as 1-2 year stop gaps and pay for pass rushers instead.
Originally posted by elguapo:
Wilson from the cards would be an upgrade over whitner

He's on my SF team in Madden

The downside is he gets hurt a lot on that game wtf
[ Edited by Beezy33 on Mar 8, 2013 at 12:49 PM ]
Jamal Taylor as FS and J Banks at LCB ...

Ed Reed or someone in the up coming NFL Draft like Eric Reed in the second round or maybe Matt Elam from Florida.
Let Goldson walk. Getting into this mentality that "we have to keep" so and so will put us back in the dark years. We have the best coaching staff and the best FO, we can win with anyone Baalke brings in.
Originally posted by 49Hounds:
Adrian Wilson was released today. Of course that potential pickup would offer a similar scenario as Marvin indicated for Ed Reed.

Just tossing out names

I like Adrian Wilson, his only problem was he played for the sorry Cards. He would be a great pick up for us.
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Originally posted by 49Hounds:
Adrian Wilson was released today. Of course that potential pickup would offer a similar scenario as Marvin indicated for Ed Reed.

Just tossing out names

I like Adrian Wilson, his only problem was he played for the sorry Cards. He would be a great pick up for us.

adrian wilson can't cover, he'd be a terrible fs.
For all of you whining about "can't have 2 rookies in the secondary" .....

See:

San Francisco 49ers Starting Secondary, 1981

Lott, Williamson, Hicks, Wright. Combined ONE year NFL experience.

Have a great day!
Share 49ersWebzone