LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 236 users in the forums

Possible Replacements for FS

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
We will NEVER EVER pay 8 M for Goldson. I don't care how hard he hits - we can't take that type of hit on the cap. It still is a business.

BUT someone will pay that price and IMO, regret it. Just like the Jets do now w/Revis and the Eagles w/Asugom [sp-sorry]

Trent and JH will come up with a good solution.

this has been my sentiment all along.

Dont want to overpay for a dude who gets a PF every game.
After PM gave a speech at MIT about how our defense is unsustainable its obvious Goldson is a goner. The team probably feels confident in Spillman but will draft a safety within the first three picks to come in and compete and maybe sign a bargain free agent to add to the competition.

Soon we are gonna have to pay Aldon, extend Justin if he has anything left in the tank, hopefully keep Brown and MacDonald. (Cant find the FA thread at the moment not sure if these players are coming up next year or the year after).

Im starting to think Elam might be the pick, he profiles as a SS but can do it all and Trent has shown he isnt afraid to draft a shorty. He reminds me of Polamalu back when he was with USC.
Move Brock to FS ....not as a starter , but as a reserve FS , plus let him play on special teams, he is physical enough to handle the position , plus he would give us better pass coverage ...but I STILL want to draft another safety to groom as a starter down the road , or better yet, later in the season.......Goldie would cost us too much, I say let him go, and get a comp pick next year

improving our pass rush , and pass coverage is key in getting us back to the playoffs
I like Trent Robinson as a backup FS. Haven't seen enough of him to think that he would be a starter. I want speed out of the FS, but most of all I want instinct, read and recognition. Who ever would fill the bill. Goldson had all the physical ability to play FS, but he had to played himself into a good FS for about 2-3 years.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Mar 8, 2013 at 9:42 AM ]
Originally posted by Beezy33:
Why does everyone want Reed? I know he's a good player, but if anything, he is questionable with late hits and/or fines just like our current FS.

Isn't he similar to Goldson, but older? He isn't going to be much cheaper than Goldson, so I think the chances of him signing in SF are slim.

Anyone who wants Reed sees him as a stop gap measure until a draft choice is capable of taking over the position. Both Reed and the draft choice are cheaper than Goldson alone.

For example...sign Reed and draft Cyprien to groom. If that pick is a first rounder,he'll get a 5 year deal that is FAR cheaper then what Goldson wants. If its a second round or later player, it'll be a 4 year deal.

That frees up money to resign key players and extend your championship window.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Mar 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM ]
Adrian Wilson was released today. Of course that potential pickup would offer a similar scenario as Marvin indicated for Ed Reed.

Just tossing out names
Originally posted by 49Hounds:
Adrian Wilson was released today. Of course that potential pickup would offer a similar scenario as Marvin indicated for Ed Reed.

Just tossing out names

Adrian is a box safety tho. Not what we're looking for.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Mar 8, 2013 at 10:03 AM ]
Why does everyone want Reed? I know he's a good player, but if anything, he is questionable with late hits and/or fines just like our current FS.

Isn't he similar to Goldson, but older? He isn't going to be much cheaper than Goldson, so I think the chances of him signing in SF are slim.

Goldson wants a long term, high pay, secure contract.

Reed is at the end of his career, and would not need a long term contract, allowing the flexibility to develope a S to take over, and to sign our guys when their contracts are up.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Goldson wants a long term, high pay, secure contract.

Reed is at the end of his career, and would not need a long term contract, allowing the flexibility to develope a S to take over, and to sign our guys when their contracts are up.

yup.
Originally posted by 49Hounds:

Just tossing out names

wait for it....wait for it

I keep seeing Ed Reed's name on this forum as stop gap possibility at FS. That would be great and all but I have not seen one thing regarding Reed that would lead me to believe that he doesn't want to stay in Baltimore. If he's going to accept a cap friendly deal why wouldn't it be to stay in Baltimore? Did I miss something guys or is this just wishful thinking by us.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Can't release whitner, were going to pay him if he's on or off the team. To much dead cap money he's here for another year.

Wrong. We would save 4.1M by cutting Whitner. But we have no-one to replace him YET.

Whitner recently earned a $100,000 bonus thanks to his selection to the Pro Bowl this year. Whitner is scheduled for a $4,933,333 cap figure in 2013. That number includes a $3.85 million base salary, a $250,000 workout bonus, and $833,333 in prorated signing bonus money. If the 49ers elected to cut Whitner, they would save $4.1 million. Only the $833,333 would hit the 2013 salary cap.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/2/11/3974730/49ers-salary-cap-casualties-donte-whitner-cut-candidate
Originally posted by NinerG94:
I keep seeing Ed Reed's name on this forum as stop gap possibility at FS. That would be great and all but I have not seen one thing regarding Reed that would lead me to believe that he doesn't want to stay in Baltimore. If he's going to accept a cap friendly deal why wouldn't it be to stay in Baltimore? Did I miss something guys or is this just wishful thinking by us.

They just signed their QB to an insane deal, and that D is gonna have ALOT of holes to fill.

Maybe wishful thinking, but not unrealistic either to not see him back in baltimore.
Originally posted by TheRambler:
lol wtf. Hey guys let's release our SS who started in the Pro Bowl.

You do realize that Pro-Bowl safety allowed the MOST TD's out of ANY safety in the league during the regular season and playoffs with 12.

Being a Pro-Bowl player means absolutly nothing regarding how good a player actually is.
Originally posted by boast:
it's NOT gonna happen. i have no idea why so many posters are thinking this.

I dis-agree.

We cant keep these guys who are gettting paid twice their worth and expect to compete against the top teams. And I fully expect a rookie SS to be just as productive as Whitner was. Whitner and Culliver on the same side of the field is a disaster waiting to happen. Actually, a disaster DID happen in the playoffs.

The good teams like New England constantly shuffle their roster and get rid of aging, over-paid players all the time.
Share 49ersWebzone