There are 40 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Parys Haralson going to be released?

Is Parys Haralson going to be released?

Originally posted by btthepunk:
Unless he cuts his salary in half I think he'll be gone. I like him and he's not a bad player but too much for a backup. For some reason I have a real good feeling about Fleming.

If they have the cap room, and it looks like they will, what difference does cutting him make ultimately? They don't have any bigtime players to re-sign this year and won't have any major free agents coming in. $2.5 million for a quality veteran backup isn't exorbitantly expensive by any means.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,648
AB

How does cutting or keeping Haralson affect the cap?. I am particularly interested in the impact on extending core players.

Thanks.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 7, 2013 at 5:38 PM ]
It seems that this board is split on the future of Parys Haralson. I voted that he will be released, but I wouldn't be bothered one way or the other. He is decent depth in the event that Aldon or Brooks get injured, but he doesn't offer much. This reminds me of the debate over Delanie Walker, except I believe Walker brings much more to the table than Parys Haralson. That salary could be used to pick up a veteran 3-4 DE or NT, or maybe even another 3-4 OLB that would bring as much as Haralson for about half the salary.

On another note, an extension is out of the question. There is no reason to keep Haralson beyond 2013.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,648
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
It seems that this board is split on the future of Parys Haralson. I voted that he will be released, but I wouldn't be bothered one way or the other. He is decent depth in the event that Aldon or Brooks get injured, but he doesn't offer much. This reminds me of the debate over Delanie Walker, except I believe Walker brings much more to the table than Parys Haralson. That salary could be used to pick up a veteran 3-4 DE or NT, or maybe even another 3-4 OLB that would bring as much as Haralson for about half the salary.

On another note, an extension is out of the question. There is no reason to keep Haralson beyond 2013.


Has anyone suggested extending Haralason?
  • fip24
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 759
Originally posted by Beeker:
Originally posted by fip24:
I would try to redo his deal. Maybe 2 yrs for 4m...lower the cap number and keep a quality bkup. I am a hug L Grant fan but i would rather let Grant walk and sink that money into Parys

Grant filled in pretty good for P. Willis, didn't he?


Yes. Grant played really well and I'm not saying Parys is a better player but if they have to choose, I think it would be wise to have a better bkup OLB than ILB.
  • fip24
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 759
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by fip24:
I would try to redo his deal. Maybe 2 yrs for 4m...lower the cap number and keep a quality bkup. I am a hug L Grant fan but i would rather let Grant walk and sink that money into Parys

What the heck for? His deal is up after this year. What do you have to rework? He can provide depth this year while Fleming or Johnson get up to speed, and then let him walk next season.


Once again, the 49ers are not in dire straits with the salary cap this year, there's no need to restructure a bunch of deals or release a bunch of players, they're fine for this year.


Its not about being desperate, its about buying low...If the Niners feel Parys is healthy and will return to his '11 form, it would be a god value to lock him up for two years at a slightly reduced rate. Parys may want to grab the guarantted money, especially coming off a lost season.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,648
Haralson's 2013 cap figure is scheduled to come in a $2.87 million.

This consists of a non-guaranteed base salary of $2.57 million, and non-guaranteed roster and workout bonuses totaling $300,000.

If the 49ers elected to release Haralson, they would save the entire $2.87 million.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/2/8/3968360/49ers-salary-cap-casualties-parys-haralson-cut-candidate
I think he should get released, for some reason I just don't think he will though.

We can do better. We can do much much better.
Originally posted by cciowa:
only way if he agrees to a reduced salary. i would also like to see what the two kids we drafted and got hurt can do for us. in order for last years draft to NOT be labeled as a fail, those two guys jenkins and looney have to show us something this coming year. i am keeping a open mind

Agree. Want him too reduce his salary and try and make the team in training camp.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
I think he should get released, for some reason I just don't think he will though.

We can do better. We can do much much better.

+1
2.8 million is not alot of money but you add that up with smith 7.5 akers 4million it adds up yhey should restructure rodgers to 5 million use that money to extend the contracts of other players
I hope we keep him. He was a big reason for the versitility of the defense in 2011, and the strength of the run D.

Unless we have a capable replacment, it would be stupid to cut him. He is very underrated around here. Had he been healthy last season it would have been a totaly different year on D.

If we can upgrade, fine, but otherwise he should be kept.
Originally posted by buck:
Haralson's 2013 cap figure is scheduled to come in a $2.87 million.

This consists of a non-guaranteed base salary of $2.57 million, and non-guaranteed roster and workout bonuses totaling $300,000.

If the 49ers elected to release Haralson, they would save the entire $2.87 million.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/2/8/3968360/49ers-salary-cap-casualties-parys-haralson-cut-candidate
BYE BYE! lol we will but i think will do it at some point, my thought is they are working out a deal so he stays, I think Harlson doesn't take a pay cut he's going to be gone he knows that so he's willing to take less money.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I think they bring him back and just cut his salary. I mean who on the roster is a proven back up that can start at his position? Not to mention the other guys are d coming back off major injuries. Let him compete with the youngsters in camp and the best man wins.

I think your point is well taken. But, he is due to make $2.57 million in 2013.

Would releasing him help us to extend a core player, such Iupati or Crabtree?
That little bit of salary isn't stopping them from extending anybody.
in a perfect world, Haralson takes a pay cut, stays on the team , and we still draft another OLB prospect to groom for the future ...I'm not comfortable depending on Fleming or Cam Johnson , Fleming not be 100% , and Johnson is still green .....we need depth and youth at OLB