Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Baalke Effect...

Isnt he awsome
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Last year we traded up to the 18th pick for Reid. I could see Baalke trading up to the 15th pick. I really would like Mike Evans

I accept this as possible, maybe even desirable. But with Crabtree, Boldin and Patton I just have this doubt. Another top notch receiver would be great, though.

Maybe Baalke will surprise us this year?

It'll have to be higher than 15th. The Steelers want a "big" receiver early according to basically every Steelers beat writer. The Post-Gazette said that Colbert has even had discussions with Roethlisberger to let him know they are finally fulfilling his years old request for a big bodied WR. Sure they could go with a 2nd rounder but if Evans is on the board at 15 they'll take him.

Ravens also need a real starter opposite Torrey Smith. They pick 17th, Rams may take a WR at 13 if they don't take Watkins at 2 or trade back and still take him in top 10.

Jets at 18 will likely take a WR in round 1 if not the 2nd. Especially if they don't land Maclin and/or Sanders in FA.

Baalke would likely have to trade up to top 10 to get a WR. I'm against this unless we end up somehow losing Boldin.
Nice synopsis for how we were built. How big were some of these 2nd and 3rd tier FA (UDFA) and trade-signings?

In fact, the team has drafted 29 of its players, signed 30 of them through free agency while also trading for three and claiming two others through the waiver process.

Draft: P Andy Lee

Draft: RB Frank Gore

Draft: TE Vernon Davis

Draft: LB Patrick Willis, LT Joe Staley, CB Tarell Brown*, DT Ray McDonald

Free agency: DT Justin Smith
Waivers: LB Ahmad Brooks

Free agency: RG Alex Boone
Draft: WR Michael Crabtree

Free agency: CB Tramaine Brock
Waivers: S C.J. Spillman
Draft: RT Anthony Davis, LG Mike Iupati, LB NaVorro Bowman, RB Anthony Dixon*

Free agency: DT Demarcus Dobbs, C Jonathan Goodwin*, CB Carlos Rogers, S Donte Whitner*, NT Ian Williams, LB Michael Wilhoite
Draft: LB Aldon Smith, QB Colin Kaepernick, CB Chris Culliver, RB Kendall Hunter, OL Daniel Kilgore, FB Bruce Miller

Free agency: WR Mario Manningham*, TE Garrett Celek
Draft: RB LaMichael James, G Joe Looney, LB Darius Fleming

Free agency: DT Tony Jerod-Eddie, NT Glenn Dorsey, LB Dan Skuta, S Craig Dahl, K Phil Dawson*, OL Adam Snyder, FB Alex Debniak, OT Luke Marquardt, LS Kevin McDermott, DT Lawrence Okoye, S Bubba Ventrone, CB Eric Wright*, WR Kassim Osgood*, S Darryl Morris, TE Derek Carrier, G Ryan Seymour, FB Will Tukuafu, CB Perrish Cox
Trade: WR Anquan Boldin, QB Colt McCoy*, WR Jon Baldwin
Draft: S Eric Reid, DT Tank Carradine, TE Vance McDonald, LB Corey Lemonier, WR Quinton Patton, RB Marcus Lattimore, DL Quinton Dial, LB Nick Moody

Read more at http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/How-the-49ers-Were-Built-via-Draft-Free-Agency/0f748bb3-1515-4f23-9b54-ae0b7e9242c5
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 6, 2014 at 6:39 AM ]
its awsome.... isnt it
Originally posted by Constantine:
its awsome.... isnt it

I think so, esp. last year. He hit on every single one of these guys for last year: DT Tony Jerod-Eddie, NT Glenn Dorsey, LB Dan Skuta, S Craig Dahl, K Phil Dawson*, OL Adam Snyder, LS Kevin McDermott, S Bubba Ventrone, CB Eric Wright*, WR Kassim Osgood*, S Darryl Morris, FB Will Tukuafu & CB Perrish Cox

These are the other FA's he didn't hit on for last year's contributions but...
FB Alex Debniak - probably would have been huge for us but got hurt early and Harbaugh didn't go with Jason Schepler or Owen Mericic and even Will Tukuafu got hurt after Miller did. It cost us more than we realized.
OT Luke Marquardt - nothing but glowing reports about this guys shape/size/upside
DT Lawrence Okoye - has now had a full year learning the pro game and being coached by Tomsula
TE Derek Carrier - started hearing good things about him last year (a replacement for Celek?)
G Ryan Seymour - hearing good things about this guy for 2014

So in short, every single FA pick up Baalke had last year panned out last year (some in a HUGE way) and there is a chance some will pan out this year for us as well!

I'd expect a few more of these under-the-radar picks this year as well.
I wonder if there's any chance that the plan at QB could wind up being to let Kap play out his final year on contract, franchise him next year, then go after Andrew Luck in 2016.
Originally posted by kap2crab:
I wonder if there's any chance that the plan at QB could wind up being to let Kap play out his final year on contract, franchise him next year, then go after Andrew Luck in 2016.
Would be a dumb plan and IND ain't letting Luck see free agency. They would franchise him as well. Cmon dudes I think it is obvious we intend to extend Kap. It will happen!
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Would be a dumb plan and IND ain't letting Luck see free agency. They would franchise him as well. Cmon dudes I think it is obvious we intend to extend Kap. It will happen!

This. Kap will get his extension. It's March, we have plenty of time to iron things out. Be patient.

They might not have choice. Their roster is horribly assembled. They have way overspent on a lot of guys at a ton of different spots and so may not be able to give him the exclusive franchise tag. Then Harbaugh (if extended) would happily cough up a pair of ones. Wonder if he and Luck have discussed this. I don't think Luck would mind leaving Indiana to go back to Bay Area with a much stronger roster and his old coach who built him. Just a thought. I guarantee there's more than a 1% chance of that.
[ Edited by kap2crab on Mar 10, 2014 at 8:21 AM ]

They might not have choice. Their roster is horribly assembled. They have way overspend on a lot of guys at a ton of different spots and so may not be able to give him the exclusive franchise tag. Then Harbaugh (if extended) would happily couph up a pair of ones. Wonder if he and Luck have discussed this. I don't think Luck would mind leaving Indiana to go back to Bay Area with a much stronger roster and his old coach who built him. Just a thought. I guarantee there's more than a 1% chance of that.

Well, you may be right. Personally, though, I would be surprised if it is much more than 1%.
Originally posted by English:

They might not have choice. Their roster is horribly assembled. They have way overspend on a lot of guys at a ton of different spots and so may not be able to give him the exclusive franchise tag. Then Harbaugh (if extended) would happily couph up a pair of ones. Wonder if he and Luck have discussed this. I don't think Luck would mind leaving Indiana to go back to Bay Area with a much stronger roster and his old coach who built him. Just a thought. I guarantee there's more than a 1% chance of that.

Well, you may be right. Personally, though, I would be surprised if it is much more than 1%.
The only way I see Indy parting with Luck is if he was hanging out with Darren Sharper and Erik Nunez over the last 4-6 months and turns up on a sex video.
Going back to page 1 of last yr, terrific post, VA niner. As NC laid it out above, Baalke has dang near hit on everything he did last yr, but if you look at what has happened since he hired JH(ok, Jed signed him also),his long view has been as important as his short view. Yes this team had talent due to top 7 picks in close to 7 of previous 8 yrs, but nobody here really knew it til JH turned it around. Build lines first, then QB, RB, TEs,WRs, all fall into place, or in Baalke's case, were added piecemeal. He deserved GM of the yr over a yr ago.

If I had one complaint, it would be that he hasn't forced Coach H to play all the guys we have on the bench in blowout games. I think we actually wouldn't be much different from last yr just with the guys we have on the team at present, many of whom, none of us know if the reserves are good, great or useless...and going into the draft, and even fA, and not knowing what you have on the bench is a mistake. It could be all JH on that issue, but if so, I wish Trent would have forced JH to play everyone enough so we knew what we had. Who knows, maybe that was the reported friction between the two, if that report was true. Whatever, Trent Baalke plus Jim Harbaugh have put together 3 terrific teams beginning in yr 1...and Trent doesn't always get his due, but he sure as heck deserves it.
Baalke's been a beast. Cool first name as well.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
The only way I see Indy parting with Luck is if he was hanging out with Darren Sharper and Erik Nunez over the last 4-6 months and turns up on a sex video.

Of course Indy doesn't wanna lose Luck. The Cavs didn't wanna lose LeBron either.
The NFL's Best GMs-
Being a good general manager can be as simple as finding the right quarterback. It can be as complicated as a meddlesome owner forcing you into picks and moves you don't want to make, picks and moves that come to define a reputation.

So we're not going to pretend this is a straightforward exercise. This is a league where coin flips can determine draft position. You don't always get a fair shake. But we still know what a good GM looks like. Perhaps more than in any other field, patience is a virtue. GMing like there's no tomorrow might net you the occasional Josh Gordon. More often, it saddles you with Brandon Weeden and Trent Richardson. Even in a "what have you done for me lately?" business, the game is best played long.

When you boil it down, a GM can control:

— Who he hires.

— Who he drafts.

— Who he signs, and for how much.

— Who he lets walk, and when.

If you excel in these four areas, you're generally headed toward years of playoff contention. If not, regime change. Even in a sport with so many variables, it's almost always that simple. So as we embark on free agency, here are the league's top 32 GMs, with this year's three new hires written up separately at the end. Without further ado.
1. Bill Belichick - Patriots
2. Ozzie Newsome - Ravens
3. Ted Thompson - Packers
4. John Schneider - Seahawks

5. Trent Baalke - 49ers

Operating as the 49ers' de facto general manager in the 2010 draft, Baalke took Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati in the first round, and Navorro Bowman in the third. He's been on a largely uninterrupted winning streak ever since. Officially named GM in January 2011, Baalke's first move was hiring Jim Harbaugh, who's turned out to be the best coaching prospect since Belichick. Together, Baalke and Harbaugh cleaned up the 2011 draft, and have sent three straight teams to the NFC Championship Game. The paint is peeling in some places. Baalke's 2012 draft class was one of the worst you'll ever see, while his relationship with Harbaugh has reportedly seen better days. It's possible Baalke could eventually lose a power struggle. Until that day comes, he'll continue running circles around his colleagues.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46433/57/the-nfls-best-gms