There are 170 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Baalke Effect...

Agree, I also think Nolan sucked as a HC but would be a very good GM.
Time to bring this thread back ......

So if I'm Baalke, I do go after a FA WR that's ready to contribute on day one. Offensive staff doesn't have the chops to quickly develop a rook into a day one contributor. Look at every rook's contribution since Harbs has taken over the 49ers; they have been role players at best. I'm all for getting a deep speed receiver through free agency.

That means I make this into a major defensive draft priorities at CB, OLB/DT, OG, WR, QB, .....

Also means we're releasing:

Iupati
Whitner
Rogers
Brown
Goodwin
Manningham

Keeping :

Osgood
Dawson
Boldin
Originally posted by NinerGM:

So if I'm Baalke, I do go after a FA WR that's ready to contribute on day one. Offensive staff doesn't have the chops to quickly develop a rook into a day one contributor. Look at every rook's contribution since Harbs has taken over the 49ers; they have been role players at best. I'm all for getting a deep speed receiver through free agency.

That means I make this into a major defensive draft priorities at CB, OLB/DT, OG, WR, QB, .....

Iupati
Whitner
Rogers
Brown
Goodwin
Manningham

Keeping :

Osgood
Dawson
Boldin

Releasing Iupati?
Originally posted by 9erReign:

Iupati
Whitner
Rogers
Brown
Goodwin
Manningham

Keeping :

Osgood
Dawson
Boldin

Releasing Iupati?

I meant not extended.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Releasing Iupati?

Iupati is under contract for the coming year.

We are not going to release him this year.

Next year, after this season, he becomes a free agent.
So if I'm Baalke, I do go after a FA WR that's ready to contribute on day one Offensive staff doesn't have the chops to quickly develop a rook into a day one contributor. Look at every rook's contribution since Harbs has taken over the 49ers; they have been role players at best. I'm all for getting a deep speed receiver through free agency.

Iupati
Whitner
Rogers
Brown
Goodwin
Manningham

Keeping :

Osgood
Dawson
Boldin
I don't really disagree just pointing out that in this offense a FA or draftee at WR doesn't need to be a day one contributor unless they have a injury. If Boldin and Crabs are back then whoever the 3rd/4th wr will barely see the field regardless of how they are acquired.
Last year we traded up to the 18th pick for Reid. I could see Baalke trading up to the 15th pick. I really would like Mike Evans
Originally posted by lamontb:
So if I'm Baalke, I do go after a FA WR that's ready to contribute on day one Offensive staff doesn't have the chops to quickly develop a rook into a day one contributor. Look at every rook's contribution since Harbs has taken over the 49ers; they have been role players at best. I'm all for getting a deep speed receiver through free agency.

Iupati
Whitner
Rogers
Brown
Goodwin
Manningham

Keeping :

Osgood
Dawson
Boldin
I don't really disagree just pointing out that in this offense a FA or draftee at WR doesn't need to be a day one contributor unless they have a injury. If Boldin and Crabs are back then whoever the 3rd/4th wr will barely see the field regardless of how they are acquired.

Well that's what concerns me.

It would seem our defense is much better able to weather a loss than our offense. The offense without Crabtree and Manningham was just non-functional and we couldn't even beat teams like the Colts and the Panthers at home. That simply can't happen next season if we're looking to get home field throughout.

Again say have the draft focus on releasing defensive players. On offense, we need to have game-ready contributors. I just don't trust that Crabtree can stay healthy for an entire season - his history says otherwise. Boldin and Davis can be accounted for in this offense. It needs that third target apparently to make it work. I'd say bring in a vet speedster and go from there. Fangio and his crew are just so much better at player development.
[ Edited by NinerGM on Feb 13, 2014 at 2:37 PM ]
we have the best owner, gm, hc and qb in the league
Originally posted by iluvdemniners:
we have the best owner, gm, hc and qb in the league

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Last year we traded up to the 18th pick for Reid. I could see Baalke trading up to the 15th pick. I really would like Mike Evans

I accept this as possible, maybe even desirable. But with Crabtree, Boldin and Patton I just have this doubt. Another top notch receiver would be great, though.

Maybe Baalke will surprise us this year?

Iupati
Whitner
Rogers
Brown
Goodwin
Manningham

Keeping :

Osgood
Dawson
Boldin

Agree with everything except Witner? I hope we can sign him...but if replaced then who is our starting Safety?
I really hope we don't make the mistake of trading up and taking a receiver.
Are we down already on Patton? I think he showed some flashes in limited duty. I think the answer to our passing game is not to go out and sign everyone and see what sticks; the key is to maximize what we have.
I think Baalke has done a wonderful job of making this team competitive. I think he will do the same again for us this year. He has some people to resign and a cap to deal with. He has a lot of draft picks, and he has the free agency coming up. So we will see a lot of activity this year, as in each year. So I suspect we will be back in the championship game, and hopefully this year we will take the next step and win it. We need at least two CBs, a safety, two WRs, and we need to fill the holes in our defense especially around ILB - Wilhoite, and a draft pick, and then the eternal line issues on both offense and defense. Lets get her done.