There are 247 users in the forums

Special Teams a Glaring Weakness

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sackid12:
The last time a 49er returned a kick was ironically ted ginn jr. He returned a punt and a kick in the same game against the seahawks in 2011.

Just watched it. The guy really does have some speed just like that punt return in the Super Bowl. What happened to him last year actually ? He just kind of faded and got moved way down he WR depth chart.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Just watched it. The guy really does have some speed just like that punt return in the Super Bowl. What happened to him last year actually ? He just kind of faded and got moved way down he WR depth chart.

In my opinion Ted Ginn Jr. was not fully healthy last year. He was tentative every time he fielded a punt or kick and did not have any explosion. I also think his age had something to do with it. I think the 49ers should use LaMichael James on kick returns and Perrish Cox (who I think is going to be very involved this year) on punt returns.
need help NOW
ST is still bad. pls fix
Just an opinion, but I think we have the talent, the gunners, the fast guys. What i don't think we have is a good ST plan for coverage., esp on PR and KR. It sure looks like the coaches need to sit down review what they are doing and make adjustments. I don't think gunners flying by the ball carrier at 100 mph and touching nothing, is of much help. maybe get those guys down there and have them pen in the ball carrier and then when the rest of the faster guys arrive, let them make the tackle.. our gunners are being wasted, and that sure looks like coaching error. Then again, I'm just a concerned fan. But.....
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Just an opinion, but I think we have the talent, the gunners, the fast guys. What i don't think we have is a good ST plan for coverage., esp on PR and KR. It sure looks like the coaches need to sit down review what they are doing and make adjustments. I don't think gunners flying by the ball carrier at 100 mph and touching nothing, is of much help. maybe get those guys down there and have them pen in the ball carrier and then when the rest of the faster guys arrive, let them make the tackle.. our gunners are being wasted, and that sure looks like coaching error. Then again, I'm just a concerned fan. But.....

Sure. Is that scheme failure or execution failure?
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Costanzo and Jones made a huge impact. Can't believe we let them walk. You could argue it cost us the superbowl trophy.

The Costanzo + Colin Jones loss devastated this team. It's effect still continues today. It may have cost us the Super Bowl.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The Costanzo + Colin Jones loss devastated this team. It's effect still continues today. It may have cost us the Super Bowl.

This. The Ravens would have had to use 4 guys to hold each of them instead of the 2 that got a piggy back ride from Miller.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Costanzo and Jones made a huge impact. Can't believe we let them walk. You could argue it cost us the superbowl trophy.

This.

Do we still have the same ST Coordinator from 2 years ago? ST seemed outstanding during the 2011 season.

Originally posted by socal9er42:
This.

Do we still have the same ST Coordinator from 2 years ago? ST seemed outstanding during the 2011 season.

Yup, Brad Seely is still the ST coordinator. He's not the problem. It's the personnel decisions we made. The ST guys we had last year too often took bad angles that opened up running lanes.

Back in 2011, Costanzo and Jones would fly around the field and make something happen. The other guys fed off that energy, spawning the Tony Montana squad. Last year, they were more like the Tony Danza squad.
Our kickers shouldn't have to make the tackle to save a td.wtf.
49er special teams -- our wrecking crew.

[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Aug 18, 2013 at 3:37 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone