There are 131 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Special Teams a Glaring Weakness

Originally posted by cciowa:
sounds like they already looked better in one pre season game than they did all of last year

Lockette sure got down there under that punt quickly. That was an awesome special teams play.
We still miss Costanzo and Collin Jones
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I think our ST will be a feared force that opponents will have to seriously game-plan for.

Coverage looks good. Dawson "has" to be better. Cox looked better than James (seems more explosive) but don't feel like we have that reliable stud back there who can take it to the house every time he touches the ball.
sounds like they already looked better in one pre season game than they did all of last year

On coverage, yes, no doubt...a couple times D. Morris was the first down the field but couldn't wrap up (sound familiar)? Fortunately, we had others make the tackles but we certainly have some serious speed with Lockette, Morris, Osgood, Moore, Dixon, etc. I hope Cox continues to develop b/c he did actually look explosive somewhat on returns. But the team really wants Jamesto contribute there and his fumbles scare me and he doesn't look very explosive (he is decisive though and is showing more confidence).
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 16, 2013 at 7:15 AM ]
  • SoCold
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 48,931
fumble Knee cost us trip to the super bowl

KR TD cost us a super bowl win

FIGURE IT OUT NAO!
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by cciowa:
sounds like they already looked better in one pre season game than they did all of last year

Lockette sure got down there under that punt quickly. That was an awesome special teams play.


That was a long punt as well, probably went 60 yards. No doubt Lockette has the speed. I am happy we have Osgood as well. Perish Cox to me is definitely better than James in my opinion. I was surprised with Dawson's miss, but I think is just jitters of playing for a new team that's all. Other than that, we should be good, but I will definitely miss Delanie though.
Originally posted by NCommand:
On coverage, yes, no doubt...a couple times D. Morris was the first down the field but couldn't wrap up (sound familiar)? Fortunately, we had others make the tackles but we certainly have some serious speed with Lockette, Morris, Osgood, Moore, Dixon, etc. I hope Cox continues to develop b/c he did actually look explosive somewhat on returns. But the team really wants Jamesto contribute there and his fumbles scare me and he doesn't look very explosive (he is decisive though and is showing more confidence).


Cox looked far more like a returner than James. I was never a fan of having James returning kicks. I want to see more of Cox in the next few games and see how he does. That is a huge gaping hole that we have failed to fill for quite a while now. Thre are just too many teams out there with personnel who can take it all the way to the house.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Cox looked far more like a returner than James. I was never a fan of having James returning kicks. I want to see more of Cox in the next few games and see how he does. That is a huge gaping hole that we have failed to fill for quite a while now. Thre are just too many teams out there with personnel who can take it all the way to the house.

Ted Ginn Jr....
  • SoCold
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 48,931
team would be better off having no one back to return punts

Chad Hall lol dude had 12 yards of room and calls a fair catch
next punt has a dude in his grill and tries to return

Originally posted by natrone06:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Cox looked far more like a returner than James. I was never a fan of having James returning kicks. I want to see more of Cox in the next few games and see how he does. That is a huge gaping hole that we have failed to fill for quite a while now. Thre are just too many teams out there with personnel who can take it all the way to the house.

Ted Ginn Jr....


Ted Ginn ? He tried, he had some raw speed, but also made some mistakes. Frankly, I have never liked anyone we fielded for this position, be it Ginn, Williams or James. But, to be fair, it really takes a special breed to be able to return kicks and to do it well. Unless Cox can become that guy, as it stands we just don't have that guy who can take it all the way to the house. Do you remember when was the last time we had a kick return TD ? I honestly cannot remember.
Originally posted by SoCold:
team would be better off having no one back to return punts

Chad Hall lol dude had 12 yards of room and calls a fair catch
next punt has a dude in his grill and tries to return



Did he have 12 yards of room ? Oh man.

Who else can do it ? Perish Cox is trying now. Dixon doesn't look all that promising. What about CJ Spillman ? What about Lockette ? Marlon Moore said he has done it before, but then again if he is going to be our No. 2 or 3 WR, we better not risk any injuries there.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Ted Ginn ? He tried, he had some raw speed, but also made some mistakes. Frankly, I have never liked anyone we fielded for this position, be it Ginn, Williams or James. But, to be fair, it really takes a special breed to be able to return kicks and to do it well. Unless Cox can become that guy, as it stands we just don't have that guy who can take it all the way to the house. Do you remember when was the last time we had a kick return TD ? I honestly cannot remember.

The last time a 49er returned a kick was ironically ted ginn jr. He returned a punt and a kick in the same game against the seahawks in 2011.
Originally posted by sackid12:
The last time a 49er returned a kick was ironically ted ginn jr. He returned a punt and a kick in the same game against the seahawks in 2011.


Thanks. I totally couldn't remember that. I am going to go on youtube to refresh my memory.
I've never ever seen Niners special team played as good as 2011. Don't think we will ever have that again in another 10 years. It was perfect with Andy Lee, Akers, that Tony Montana group, and Ginn.
How would you guys rank the order of importance of the ST units?

1. Field goal unit - not getting a TD is a bummer. Missing the FG on top of it sucks.
2. Punt coverage unit: bad enough to give up possession, but gotta make it at least a 40-50 yard net punt.
3. Kickoff return coverage
4. Punt return: secure the possession!
5. Kickoff return
6. Field goal defensive unit

imo
Cox impressed as a returner.

Osgood can really cover [based on the one game saw]

I think our ST will be really special this season.