There are 63 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers interested in trading for Revis (link provided)

1) Toss the Jets a third this year and an additional, performace based pick in 2014 (up to a third based on Revis' playing time).

2) Offer Revis $11 mil per season, with escalators that could take him up to $13 mil. Break it up into bonuses to make the deal cap friendly. Add injury clauses to protect us in case he gets hurt.

3) Draft a cover FS to take over for Goldson. Trade up if need be. Use the rest of the picks for depth and to stockpile picks for next year (12-15 guys aren't making the roster anyway).

4) Enjoy being a Super Bowl contender for easily the next four years. Maybe more.

The Jets get picks to help rebuild, Revis gets to say he's "the highest paid CB in football" and we get a phenomenal CB.

Everybody wins.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
More likely Denver is the mystery team, with the 49ers and Atlanta showing slight passing interest.

I could see Denver being it as well.

My reasoning behind my gut feeling it's us is

A) The fact we're going after Sean Smith so hard tells me that we're not just after a CB but a CB with some impact

B) If the Jets are waiting for the Bucs to magically increase their offer they won't because whose going to outbid themselves. So unless the Jets are stupid which may easily be the case it seems logically to go ahead and start hammering the deal out with the Bucs unless you feel their is another viable player in the game.

C) So far as we know Denver and Atlanta haven't shown major interest in the top of the FA CB crop and I've only heard of Denver being interested in DRC.

D) Seems like we have always tried to keep our interest and movements as quite as possible

With all that said if Denver or Atlanta were the mystery team I would think they would be in the thick of things for Revis right now since there really isn't anything to wait for. We're the only team that we know of that's heavily pursuing one of the big fish in the FA CB market so we have a reason to put any Revis talks on hold and the Jets have a reason to take a wait and see approach.

Of course I could be completely wrong and the mystery team is complete nonsense in attempt to get the Bucs to budge from their offer.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,899
Originally posted by baltien:
1) Toss the Jets a third this year and an additional, performace based pick in 2014 (up to a third based on Revis' playing time).

2) Offer Revis $11 mil per season, with escalators that could take him up to $13 mil. Break it up into bonuses to make the deal cap friendly. Add injury clauses to protect us in case he gets hurt.

3) Draft a cover FS to take over for Goldson. Trade up if need be. Use the rest of the picks for depth and to stockpile picks for next year (12-15 guys aren't making the roster anyway).

4) Enjoy being a Super Bowl contender for easily the next four years. Maybe more.

The Jets get picks to help rebuild, Revis gets to say he's "the highest paid CB in football" and we get a phenomenal CB.

Everybody wins.

No disrespect, but he's not coming here, please stop. It doesn't make sense from a fiscal standpoint. Fat chance Revis "settles" for what he made on his last contract. I don't care about the ACL, or the limited options in terms of trade, he still is Darrelle Revis, the best CB in the game, an elite player at the HIGHEST paid position after QB. He has always been about the $$$ - he held out as a rookie before signing a contract ABOVE his draft slot, then held out again 2 years later.
Sean Smith is the antithesis of "impact corner." This dude gave up more first downs than any other corner in the league last year.

Why is everyone so high on him?
Originally posted by baltien:
Sean Smith is the antithesis of "impact corner." This dude gave up more first downs than any other corner in the league last year.

Why is everyone so high on him?

I have no idea. Dude should be named Toaster Oven.
Here's another idea - how about everyone stop worrying about "big hitters" and worry more about "great in coverage"?
Originally posted by FL9er:
No disrespect, but he's not coming here, please stop. It doesn't make sense from a fiscal standpoint. Fat chance Revis "settles" for what he made on his last contract. I don't care about the ACL, or the limited options in terms of trade, he still is Darrelle Revis, the best CB in the game, an elite player at the HIGHEST paid position after QB. He has always been about the $$$ - he held out as a rookie before signing a contract ABOVE his draft slot, then held out again 2 years later.

He's not? Source?

May as well throw in tomorrow's lottery numbers while you're at it.
49ers have been the mystery team since last year. Baalke never shows his cards carrot wait till noon.
Originally posted by Beeker:
Here's another idea - how about everyone stop worrying about "big hitters" and worry more about "great in coverage"?

LOL...this.
Originally posted by FL9er:
No disrespect, but he's not coming here, please stop. It doesn't make sense from a fiscal standpoint. Fat chance Revis "settles" for what he made on his last contract. I don't care about the ACL, or the limited options in terms of trade, he still is Darrelle Revis, the best CB in the game, an elite player at the HIGHEST paid position after QB. He has always been about the $$$ - he held out as a rookie before signing a contract ABOVE his draft slot, then held out again 2 years later.

Sounds like you don't understand leverage my man. For one, what I proposed was a scenario. It was not stated as fact.

Two, I'm well aware of who he is. I'm also aware that no team is going give ANY player coming off a major injury $16 mil a year. Not even Darrelle Revis.

There's a reason why he hasn't been traded yet. Use your brain.
[ Edited by baltien on Mar 13, 2013 at 9:45 AM ]
FYI:

"If #Jets trade Revis, they'll LOSE cap room. His charge goes from $9M (current) to $12M (dead) if moved by Saturday."

Source: https://mobile.twitter.com/RichCimini/status/311845598242406400

Looks like nothing is happening until next week.
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
I could see Denver being it as well.

My reasoning behind my gut feeling it's us is

A) The fact we're going after Sean Smith so hard tells me that we're not just after a CB but a CB with some impact

B) If the Jets are waiting for the Bucs to magically increase their offer they won't because whose going to outbid themselves. So unless the Jets are stupid which may easily be the case it seems logically to go ahead and start hammering the deal out with the Bucs unless you feel their is another viable player in the game.

C) So far as we know Denver and Atlanta haven't shown major interest in the top of the FA CB crop and I've only heard of Denver being interested in DRC.

D) Seems like we have always tried to keep our interest and movements as quite as possible

With all that said if Denver or Atlanta were the mystery team I would think they would be in the thick of things for Revis right now since there really isn't anything to wait for. We're the only team that we know of that's heavily pursuing one of the big fish in the FA CB market so we have a reason to put any Revis talks on hold and the Jets have a reason to take a wait and see approach.

Of course I could be completely wrong and the mystery team is complete nonsense in attempt to get the Bucs to budge from their offer.

Denver has been one of the main teams linked in rumors with Revis from the get-go, not sure where you got the bolded part from.


http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/55783/report-broncos-show-interest-in-darrelle-revis
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Denver has been one of the main teams linked in rumors with Revis from the get-go, not sure where you got the bolded part from.


http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/55783/report-broncos-show-interest-in-darrelle-revis

I'm referring to as of right this moment especially if the Bucs have a chance of landing him.

Again I'm not suggesting Denver isn't in it right this moment but as I've said I'm just going by mostly gut feeling.

It's clear our primary focus is Sean Smith and if we land him everything is a moot point but if we don't is when we should find things out.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 23,028
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Beeker:
Here's another idea - how about everyone stop worrying about "big hitters" and worry more about "great in coverage"?

LOL...this.

of course this is the truth
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 23,028
Originally posted by baltien:
Sounds like you don't understand leverage my man. For one, what I proposed was a scenario. It was not stated as fact.

Two, I'm well aware of who he is. I'm also aware that no team is going give ANY player coming off a major injury $16 mil a year. Not even Darrelle Revis.

There's a reason why he hasn't been traded yet. Use your brain.
i think alot of people must have slept through the last two years since the new regime has stepped in. this is not how they do things. the only teams that do that are s**tty teams , eagles, bucs, miami
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home