There are 148 users in the forums

49ers interested in trading for Revis (link provided)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
damn, Bucs were trying to land Revis AND Goldson? Where the hell are all these Florida teams getting this money?

Name me 4 high dollar players on either Tampa or Miami's roster...There is your answer.

Tampa has 1 in Vincent Jackson, Miami has 1 in Wallace....cant think of another.

QB's they have are cheap...RB's..cheap...couple of middle tier names on their Defenses..but nobody making P. Willy money.
Double
[ Edited by PhillyNiner on Mar 13, 2013 at 5:36 AM ]
Originally posted by JD81:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
RT @SMcCool34: Any Revis news? ... Going to SF or not. Going to ATL or not. Trade imminent or not. Let's just sit back and wait and see.

Incarcerated Bob IBN ‏@incarceratedbob
@edwardethan Jets could have pulled trigger on Revis deal tonight with #Bucs but Owner wants more

Really... Incarcerated bob??
Originally posted by socalfan21:

He's a decent source when it comes to free agency and yeah, I buy that the Jets are being picky. From what was said yesterday, Tampa had a good offer on the table, Jets balked, which tells me that Tampa wasn't offering a 1st rounder and the Jets really want a 1st rounder, especially after the Percy Harvin trade and people coming out of the woodwork with the "you can't trade Revis for less than Percy Harvin" rhetoric.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Name me 4 high dollar players on either Tampa or Miami's roster...There is your answer.

Tampa has 1 in Vincent Jackson, Miami has 1 in Wallace....cant think of another.

QB's they have are cheap...RB's..cheap...couple of middle tier names on their Defenses..but nobody making P. Willy money.
Tampa Bay
Gerald McCoy
Vincent Jackson
Donald Penn
Carl Nicks
Eric Wright
David Joseph

Next year they have to re-sign Josh Freeman.

Miami on the other hand, really doesn't have any large contracts not including their new signees, they dumped their biggest yesterday in Karlos Dansy.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by socalfan21:

He's a decent source when it comes to free agency and yeah, I buy that the Jets are being picky. From what was said yesterday, Tampa had a good offer on the table, Jets balked, which tells me that Tampa wasn't offering a 1st rounder and the Jets really want a 1st rounder, especially after the Percy Harvin trade and people coming out of the woodwork with the "you can't trade Revis for less than Percy Harvin" rhetoric.

This - is a joke. Is Revis all-world? He sure seemed like it before he got injured. Will he be again? Time will tell. Based on fiscal reasons only, I don't think he's a good pickup for the 49ers. Someone pointed out that if you have 10 players making $8 million a year, you then have 43 guys to pay with $53 million. To us average Joe fans, that sounds like truckloads of money. In the world of the NFL, that's a 1 player contract (see: Harvin, Percival). Which 10 players on the roster do the 49ers give that $8 million a year to? Once that is figured out, then you know what else you have to work with.

The key to the 49ers staying relevant for the next decade is draft and inexpensive free agents. The FO manages the cap well, and (hopefully) will continue to do so. Players that left the team yesterday can be replaced - either by someone already on the roster (Celek - Walker, Soap/RJF - Ian Willaims), through the draft, or an inexpensive free agent. I'm not panicking by any means. IMVHO, those who departed were accounted for before they left. I think there's more depth on this roster than people think. Are there options already in SF to replace Goldson? Sure - move Cully, see what Robinson can do. Is there a FS available in FA? Sure - Reed, Landry, Woodson. What about the draft? You bet! Tons of talent there.

Well, what about RJF/Soap? The 49ers have already extended Ian, so they certainly feel that position is answered. Will they draft DL? Count on it. There's FA's out there to spell Cowboy, too, even though I'm not a huge fan of the flashy names - Abraham, Seymour.

I guess my point after all that is this team is in solid shape, with a little wiggle room under the cap, and ton of draft picks, and are again considered a premier place for free agents to come and have a better than average chance of winning a Championship. You want the megasuperdeluxe payday? Chances are you're not going to get it in San Francisco. Want a chance to play for multiple championships? Come on down!!
Originally posted by JD81:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
RT @SMcCool34: Any Revis news? ... Going to SF or not. Going to ATL or not. Trade imminent or not. Let's just sit back and wait and see.

Incarcerated Bob IBN ‏@incarceratedbob
@edwardethan Jets could have pulled trigger on Revis deal tonight with #Bucs but Owner wants more

Jets Owner is gonna regret not taking that offer, without knowing more details, I'm guessing it's better than what the Niners would've offered. Bucs seriously trying to upgrade their secondary.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Jets Owner is gonna regret not taking that offer, without knowing more details, I'm guessing it's better than what the Niners would've offered. Bucs seriously trying to upgrade their secondary.

Not necessarily.

If Bucs throw their 1st rounder which is 13 they can likely trump anything we put together but I can see why they would balk at throwing in such a high pick especially since their isn't exactly a huge market for Revis. But our 1st rounder is at 31 which is more expandable than 13 and we have a higher 2nd round pick than the Bucs do not to mention just more picks overall to throw in as change.

Just my personal gut feeling is that we're the second "mystery" team but Plan A is still Sean Smith and Plan B is Revis. So I think the Jets are holding out to see if we land Smith because if we don't they know we'll move to Revis which is going to give them leverage over the Bucs in getting a better deal and vice versa.
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
Not necessarily.

If Bucs throw their 1st rounder which is 13 they can likely trump anything we put together but I can see why they would balk at throwing in such a high pick especially since their isn't exactly a huge market for Revis. But our 1st rounder is at 31 which is more expandable than 13 and we have a higher 2nd round pick than the Bucs do not to mention just more picks overall to throw in as change.

Just my personal gut feeling is that we're the second "mystery" team but Plan A is still Sean Smith and Plan B is Revis. So I think the Jets are holding out to see if we land Smith because if we don't they know we'll move to Revis which is going to give them leverage over the Bucs in getting a better deal and vice versa.

More likely Denver is the mystery team, with the 49ers and Atlanta showing slight passing interest.
1) Toss the Jets a third this year and an additional, performace based pick in 2014 (up to a third based on Revis' playing time).

2) Offer Revis $11 mil per season, with escalators that could take him up to $13 mil. Break it up into bonuses to make the deal cap friendly. Add injury clauses to protect us in case he gets hurt.

3) Draft a cover FS to take over for Goldson. Trade up if need be. Use the rest of the picks for depth and to stockpile picks for next year (12-15 guys aren't making the roster anyway).

4) Enjoy being a Super Bowl contender for easily the next four years. Maybe more.

The Jets get picks to help rebuild, Revis gets to say he's "the highest paid CB in football" and we get a phenomenal CB.

Everybody wins.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
More likely Denver is the mystery team, with the 49ers and Atlanta showing slight passing interest.

I could see Denver being it as well.

My reasoning behind my gut feeling it's us is

A) The fact we're going after Sean Smith so hard tells me that we're not just after a CB but a CB with some impact

B) If the Jets are waiting for the Bucs to magically increase their offer they won't because whose going to outbid themselves. So unless the Jets are stupid which may easily be the case it seems logically to go ahead and start hammering the deal out with the Bucs unless you feel their is another viable player in the game.

C) So far as we know Denver and Atlanta haven't shown major interest in the top of the FA CB crop and I've only heard of Denver being interested in DRC.

D) Seems like we have always tried to keep our interest and movements as quite as possible

With all that said if Denver or Atlanta were the mystery team I would think they would be in the thick of things for Revis right now since there really isn't anything to wait for. We're the only team that we know of that's heavily pursuing one of the big fish in the FA CB market so we have a reason to put any Revis talks on hold and the Jets have a reason to take a wait and see approach.

Of course I could be completely wrong and the mystery team is complete nonsense in attempt to get the Bucs to budge from their offer.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by baltien:
1) Toss the Jets a third this year and an additional, performace based pick in 2014 (up to a third based on Revis' playing time).

2) Offer Revis $11 mil per season, with escalators that could take him up to $13 mil. Break it up into bonuses to make the deal cap friendly. Add injury clauses to protect us in case he gets hurt.

3) Draft a cover FS to take over for Goldson. Trade up if need be. Use the rest of the picks for depth and to stockpile picks for next year (12-15 guys aren't making the roster anyway).

4) Enjoy being a Super Bowl contender for easily the next four years. Maybe more.

The Jets get picks to help rebuild, Revis gets to say he's "the highest paid CB in football" and we get a phenomenal CB.

Everybody wins.

No disrespect, but he's not coming here, please stop. It doesn't make sense from a fiscal standpoint. Fat chance Revis "settles" for what he made on his last contract. I don't care about the ACL, or the limited options in terms of trade, he still is Darrelle Revis, the best CB in the game, an elite player at the HIGHEST paid position after QB. He has always been about the $$$ - he held out as a rookie before signing a contract ABOVE his draft slot, then held out again 2 years later.
Sean Smith is the antithesis of "impact corner." This dude gave up more first downs than any other corner in the league last year.

Why is everyone so high on him?
Originally posted by baltien:
Sean Smith is the antithesis of "impact corner." This dude gave up more first downs than any other corner in the league last year.

Why is everyone so high on him?

I have no idea. Dude should be named Toaster Oven.
Here's another idea - how about everyone stop worrying about "big hitters" and worry more about "great in coverage"?
Share 49ersWebzone