LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Why Niners Picked A.J Jenkins instead of Stephen Hill?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:

idk what they thinking
I was one that kicked my tv too, but I thnk I need to give the kid another chance. Now, he definitely needs to get bigger and stronger and realize he's playing against other pro's and not guys who are working at dept. stores now. He lso needs to get his ass down to Atl with Kaep, and start taking his craft seriously, but I will give him the chance..
[ Edited by toppdogg32 on Mar 1, 2013 at 10:57 AM ]
Originally posted by 49ersGiants7:
I was unaware Hill tore it up so much with the Jets.

He had 21 more catches, 252 more yards and 3 more TDs than the guy we took.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Mar 1, 2013 at 6:06 PM ]
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
I was one that kicked my tv too, but I thnk I need to give the kid another chance. Now, he definitely needs to get bigger and stronger and realize he's playing against other pro's and not guys who are working at dept. stores now. He lso needs to get his ass down to Atl with Kaep, and start taking his craft seriously, but I will give him the chance..
Hes been in ATL since sunday bud.
Originally posted by fly15:

idk what they thinking

Man..he looks great in those highlights. Showed very strong hands and some playmaking ability. I hope we see some of that this year. Would love for him to lock down the #2 spot next to Crabtree.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Man..he looks great in those highlights. Showed very strong hands and some playmaking ability. I hope we see some of that this year. Would love for him to lock down the #2 spot next to Crabtree.

If he is in shape and can transform his college skills into NFL skills, I think theres gunna be alot of fans lining up for the Crow Buffet
  • dj43
He can get stronger, and likely will. The thing that bothers me more is the numerous reports that said he was "facing a steep learning curve in learning the playbook." Though the playbook is big, it isn't so big that others were not able to learn it.
Originally posted by dj43:
He can get stronger, and likely will. The thing that bothers me more is the numerous reports that said he was "facing a steep learning curve in learning the playbook." Though the playbook is big, it isn't so big that others were not able to learn it.

It may have been who he was learning from that made it tougher , that's why i think that training with Kaep, Lockette and Hall has a large chance of boosting his career to the next level.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
49ers basically spent a 1st rounder on a Slot wr. i just cant vision AJ Jenkins holding up on the outside unless he bulks up. Talk about a wasted pick possibly. We coulda gotten Hill, or a DE/DT Like Kendall Reyes. i'm still irked that they basically Bombed the 2012 Draft.

Nothing wrong with a slot receiver. Guys like Wes Welker, Victor Cruz, and Danny Amendola do very well in that role and are dominant. Seems like such a pain ofr defenses for defenders to have to cover those guys in open space. Just re-watch the Giants games where Carlos Rogers has to cover Victor Cruz.

With that said, I'm obviously disappointed in A.J. Jenkins. But Baalke drafted him knowing that he wouldn't be able to beat out Moss, Manningham, and Kyle Williams in his first season. He was drafted for the long-haul, not the immediate future. Like I said, I'm disappointed too, but I'm also taking a wait-and-see approach. We'll see what happens at training camp and preseason.
[ Edited by Wubbie on Mar 1, 2013 at 10:07 PM ]
I just hope Jenkins will still be able to walk when training camp starts after training with a maniac like Kaep.

Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:

3 thoughts
A) We need to draft these guys
B) Forgot Les Miles ran the train at Oklahoma Lite
C) These 2 clips and AJ's have something in common: Highlights versus the likes of SMU, Duke and Indiana.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by fly15:

idk what they thinking

his qb sucked in school too. people are being way too critical of this dude. he was a rookie, its been said by tons of people that it takes 2 to 3 years for a receiver to blossom. he'll be fine, dude has skills just needs to get a little bigger
Originally posted by Garcia:
Our FO likes PRODUCTIVE college players. Hill came from GT which ran the ball majority of the time, wishbone offense. He wasnt that productive over his career.

AJ Jenkins on the other hand has been productive throughout his college career and in his senior year had 90 catches, 8TDs and over 50% of his teams passing offense.

combine that with route running ability and separation they liked AJ better than Hill, even though hill is theorothetically bigger and faster,

Solid points. I'll add the other side

"In the last six games, he averaged only six catches per game and caught one total touchdown.

Between the disappointing end to his (and Illinois') season and a lack of ideal size, Jenkins' draft stock was never exceedingly high (NFL.com says he has "fifth-round value" and manages to make even that sound optimistic).

Jenkins himself didn't even expect it, according to The Washington Post. He was reportedly in the bathroom when a family member told him that his phone was ringing.

Via the Post:

'I sprinted because I didn't know if they were joking or not because during the middle of the draft my cousin had called my phone, but he was playing with me. I thought it was another joke and it's just crazy.'

Jenkins wasn't sure whether he spoke to Coach Jim Harbaugh or General Manager Trent Baalke.

He does not excel at beating press coverage, and a cornerback can easily disrupt his timing by getting in his face at the snap.

Give Jenkins a free release, though, and he can use his speed to get behind defenses.

Jenkins' adjustment skills are above average, which is good news if Alex Smith continues to display uneven accuracy. Jenkins isn't afraid to lay out for a pass or take a big hit after the catch, though he's not really physically cut out to work the middle in the NFL.

His route-running isn't especially good, but he's not sloppy either.

Jenkins' speed is especially a benefit on drag routes, as he can simply use his sub-4.4 speed to outrun his man to the far side, where hopefully the other receivers have run off any other defenders.

Despite this, he's not really a "circus catch" type of wideout on deep passes—though that may have as much to do with accuracy issues on the part of Illinois QBs Nathan Scheelhaase and Riley O'Toole as anything else.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1163076-nfl-draft-2012-49ers-surprise-and-select-illinois-wr-aj-jenkins

IMO. Ceiling #3. For a contender, he is a #4. Basically Jacoby Jones
[ Edited by KEGster on Mar 1, 2013 at 11:49 PM ]
AJ who ?!
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersHeroine:
I'm still perplexed we didn't draft Stephen Hill. I through my beer at the projection screen at the bar I was at. I'm not trying to be a pessimist. But an Jenkins doesn't have what it takes to crack the starting line up. He will be a #4 receiver at best. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

You threw a beer at the screen in a bar? I'm guessing you got thrown out of there lol.
Share 49ersWebzone