There are 185 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Deal for Alex Smith Done?

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by xela510:
Some Chiefs fans think the 49ers are just blowing smoke. I wouldnt doubt it.

I'm starting to think that fanbase is full of absolute retards. BRB, "Geno Smith is our savior and Alex Smith is trash".....oh wait....Geno Smith most compares to Alex Smith......that can't be right.



Also, they seem to talk about the guy like he's game-ready when virtually everyone else says that he'd be better off starting on the bench, getting some time to develop as a pro QB. The lemmings are jumping off of cliffs thinking that the addition of a smart veteran QB means that there's no room for a rookie QB to sit back, watch and learn.

After going to that webpage, i am sooo glad we dont allow avatars or siglines here. The Geno Smith in KC uniform siglines and avatars were outof control.Never seen anything like that from fans and a cult following of a guy that isaint even on the roster.

I could only imagine the siglines here. My heart would have been even more broken last season rocking a Elvis Akpla avatar only to have him go undrafted, unsigned by the niners, and then signed by Philly.

Lol one of these fools on the chiefs board said that Geno Smith is basically Andrew Luck, except he's black. Morons.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,147
hell yes..i heard about this lastnite..im so excited about this..war alex war...in kc
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Let's keep it real here. The reason the 49ers don't have much leverage is because the commodity they're trying to deal isn't as good as some fans think. Alex played well, but he simply wasn't asked to carry the team, so the whole 19-5-1 stat doesn't hold a lot of weight to those who realize the defense is the primary reason for that record. I'm sure the Chiefs know this. I'd be very surprised if we got more than a 3rd for him and it's not because they know we need to ship him out. If Alex was as good as some people on here believe, he'd easily net a 1st. He has limitations and will never be a QB that can carry a team consistently. You can credit him with some 4th quarter comebacks all you want, but without the defense playing at such a high level, that 19-5-1 record would be a lot worse. If the Saints don't turn it over 5 times, Alex doesn't do enough to beat them in 2011.

Chiefs fans are overreacting, but it's probably because everyone realizes Alex has hit his ceiling. He is as good as he'll ever be, which isn't good enough to carry a team on his shoulders. If he is successful in KC, it'll be because the running game is working and the defense is formidable (which isn't hard to fathom). They feel like bringing Alex in will mean they won't get Geno Smith. Whether or not Geno Smith will be any good is not the point. They know Alex's level of play and would rather gamble on Geno. I can't say I blame them, but personally, I'd take Alex over Geno. I'm just saying I can see why they're so upset.

Let us not in any way diminish just what Alex has done. He has played outstanding football the last 2 seasons under Harbaugh and probably because of Harbaugh but good solid football nonetheless. He had a top 10 QB rating in 2011 and a top 4 in 2012. And yes he was 19-5-1, so he should be an upgrade for teams with cumulative QB ratings under 80. We know Alex better than KC fans and from the outside they should be hopeful that they did not give up too much to get Alex and hope that he can bring some stability to the position especially since they have an experienced offensive minded QB guru as a head coach. They should compete in their division although DEN will be favored. Now after watching Kaep, Wilson, and RG3 play, I realize that other fan bases want their own stud at QB and are averse to anything not perceived as such. News flash, that QB isn't obvious in this draft and why can't KC trade out of their 1st and get a QB to groom anyways. A 104 QB rating and playoff success is nothing to turn your nose up at when you consider most other team's QB situation in this league
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Feb 25, 2013 at 7:05 AM ]
Be aware of the potential third mystery team, like the Cleveland Browns.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,400 for dtcomposer.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Let's keep it real here. The reason the 49ers don't have much leverage is because the commodity they're trying to deal isn't as good as some fans think. Alex played well, but he simply wasn't asked to carry the team, so the whole 19-5-1 stat doesn't hold a lot of weight to those who realize the defense is the primary reason for that record. I'm sure the Chiefs know this. I'd be very surprised if we got more than a 3rd for him and it's not because they know we need to ship him out. If Alex was as good as some people on here believe, he'd easily net a 1st. He has limitations and will never be a QB that can carry a team consistently. You can credit him with some 4th quarter comebacks all you want, but without the defense playing at such a high level, that 19-5-1 record would be a lot worse. If the Saints don't turn it over 5 times, Alex doesn't do enough to beat them in 2011.

Chiefs fans are overreacting, but it's probably because everyone realizes Alex has hit his ceiling. He is as good as he'll ever be, which isn't good enough to carry a team on his shoulders. If he is successful in KC, it'll be because the running game is working and the defense is formidable (which isn't hard to fathom). They feel like bringing Alex in will mean they won't get Geno Smith. Whether or not Geno Smith will be any good is not the point. They know Alex's level of play and would rather gamble on Geno. I can't say I blame them, but personally, I'd take Alex over Geno. I'm just saying I can see why they're so upset.

I would call that your opinion. I wouldn't call that keeping it real. I've been in this argument too many times. If you were really looking at this with an open mind you would see that a QB who has improved each of the last two seasons in fairly dramatic fashion has not hit his ceiling. KC fans are being really stupid, and reactionary. Football fans in general are reactionary and stupid. The Stats and the eye test both show that Alex is a clear high end starter (not elite, but top 10-15) with some more room for improvement. Fans on this site and elsewhere simply can't get over the past perception of Alex Smith the #1 pick bust. I actually think that in an Andy Reid System he might have better numbers. Andy is going to let him throw it around a little bit more, and is a very competent offensive coach. Alex's YPA this year was elte level, so I will look forward to seeing him play in a system that lets it loose a little bit more.
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I'm guessing your a Chiefs fan?

Look, I've I've watched every game Alex Smith has ever played as a pro. He is NOT Matt Cassel. Alex was NEVER as bad as advertised. He's a smart guy who works his a$$ off. He's mobile and he accurate on short to medium routes. He has issues tho with deep passes on the sidelines.

What Alex needed early in his career is a good OC. He had that with Norv in year 2 when he had a huge performance increase from year one. He didn't get another one till Harbaugh/Roman.

Alex has that in Reid. Alex will be much better in KC than any of you think. The only reason SF is trading him at all is that Colin Kaepernick is freakin ridiculous good.

whether you think Smith is or isn't Cassell. Cassell's has had 2 really good seasons. Neither of which Alex has ever matched. Do I think Cassell is good? No, Alex is better at this point, but lets not act like Cassel's a bum. The 9ers have never been that high on him, so Kaep is not the only reason why they're getting rid of him.

Ummm no. First of all Matt Cassell is a bum. There is a reason he hadn't started a game at quarterback since high school up until he played at New England. I can put up good numbers in New Englands system, especially with the time their offensive line gives the qb to throw. And the 49ers were never high on Alex Smith? If Harbaugh was never high on him, he would have never brought him back for the 2011 season. He would have been content with Josh Johnson, Colin Kaepernick, or another free agent quarterback if he didn't think Alex was any good. There is a reason Harbaugh was so adamant about retaining Alex in 2011. The reason he isn't the starter anymore is because Kaepernick can do some amazing things. So yes Kap is the primary reason we are getting rid of him. The secondary reason we are getting rid of him is so that he can start and we can get something of value for him.
Originally posted by robniner:
Be aware of the potential third mystery team, like the Cleveland Browns.

Cleveland already said their not involved in this deal
Just a hunch but I don't think its the Chiefs....I'm thinking its Buffalo

Andy Reid runs a vertical attack and that is not Alex Smith's strength....would be odd fit in the aggressive get down the field offense that Andy runs.
Lol Matt Barrows sayin no deal in place
Well, since this whole thread is merely speculation and W.A.G.'s - I'm saying they're trading Alex to Seattle for Russell Wilson!!


Originally posted by Beeker:
Well, since this whole thread is merely speculation and W.A.G.'s - I'm saying they're trading Alex to Seattle for Russell Wilson!!



Originally posted by boast:

Sorry, Boast. Just having a little fun. Who/what/when/where - it's all merely speculation at this point. There are some very good, well thought out scenarios here. Trying to lighten the mood a little.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,980
Man, great time for the NFL to move the trading period, free agency back a week.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Feb 25, 2013 at 7:46 AM ]
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Just a hunch but I don't think its the Chiefs....I'm thinking its Buffalo

Andy Reid runs a vertical attack and that is not Alex Smith's strength....would be odd fit in the aggressive get down the field offense that Andy runs.

Uhm, if we look back, Norv runs a vertical attack and Alex looked fine, Mike Johnson ran an open attack and Alex looked solid, Urbany meyer ran a vertical attack at Utah and Alex's performance was good.

Alex thorws a good deep seam route, The skinny post, also remeber the thorws he made against the Saitns. He can make all the thorws yet can't throw the deep out consistently every time. He has a solid arm, not elite but solid.