There are 55 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Deal for Alex Smith Done?

KC's second would be noice.
Eric Berry anyone?
haha La Canfora...i don't believe a word until its on the 9ers homepage.
Originally posted by NJNiner:
Eric Berry anyone?

that would be nice
Not surprising that there are teams who want Alex's services, but I am surprised that a deal is already done. If this was some kind of a thankyou from the front office I hope they play that point up, or it gets leaked. That will look really good for future free agents. I think Alex will do well there, and a 3rd rounder or better sounds about right. I think Alex is worth more, but the Niners really don't have much leverage other than keeping him on the roster (which, though possible is probably their worst option).

Goindg to KC is about the best situation he could hope for. They have some good pieces, and Andy Reid is going to run the type of offense that Alex can thrive in. We might even see better fantasy numbers in such a situation, though I suspect his efficiency will drop slightly.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
I was happy about Alex (potentially) going to KC because I think they offer the best opportunity with the roster and HC they have, and it's known as one of the best sports cities, but reading the ignorant filth being spewed by their fans, they don't deserve Alex. They make the Alex bashers in our fanbase look like the great philosophers of ancient Greece. Alex no better than Cassel? Geno just as good as RG3?
Originally posted by niners9:
Eric Berry anyone?

that would be nice

umm eric berry has the highest safety contract in the league as he was drafted early and b4 rookie wage scale. goldson wouldn't even get as much as berry's contract is
now we need a veteran qb to back up kap so he has someone who he can trust on the sidelines to verify what he's seeing out on the field.

tolzien has never played a game....can't trust him to verify anything kap sees on the field
Originally posted by Fricker:
yep that are have you see the thread .. hours of laughter and enjoyment.. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270361&page=14

i also was the one that broke that Nate Davis got traded to the Colts before it happened .. so believe what ya want .. but this is pretty much the deal. Obviously anything can happen between now and 3/12 but from what i was told today.. This was the deal agreed on and good to go.

This one got me chuckling (wasn't this our "sound" just a few years ago?)

KC fan: 49ers' quarterbacks come to Kansas City to die. Kaepernick in 2025. Can't wait.
[ Edited by OldJoe on Feb 25, 2013 at 6:17 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
KC's second would be noice.

That would be noice.
gonna laugh when it's announced that the Bills are the team that traded for Alex.
Eric Berry anyone?
Now he would be a true replacement for Goldson But I doubt KC is making that deal. I think it's gonna be a 2nd. But that would be golden. If Baalke pulled that deal off to Baalke.
The trade is Alex Smith to KC for the 63rd overall in the 3rd round and a late round pick.
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Not surprising that there are teams who want Alex's services, but I am surprised that a deal is already done. If this was some kind of a thankyou from the front office I hope they play that point up, or it gets leaked. That will look really good for future free agents. I think Alex will do well there, and a 3rd rounder or better sounds about right. I think Alex is worth more, but the Niners really don't have much leverage other than keeping him on the roster (which, though possible is probably their worst option).

Let's keep it real here. The reason the 49ers don't have much leverage is because the commodity they're trying to deal isn't as good as some fans think. Alex played well, but he simply wasn't asked to carry the team, so the whole 19-5-1 stat doesn't hold a lot of weight to those who realize the defense is the primary reason for that record. I'm sure the Chiefs know this. I'd be very surprised if we got more than a 3rd for him and it's not because they know we need to ship him out. If Alex was as good as some people on here believe, he'd easily net a 1st. He has limitations and will never be a QB that can carry a team consistently. You can credit him with some 4th quarter comebacks all you want, but without the defense playing at such a high level, that 19-5-1 record would be a lot worse. If the Saints don't turn it over 5 times, Alex doesn't do enough to beat them in 2011.

Chiefs fans are overreacting, but it's probably because everyone realizes Alex has hit his ceiling. He is as good as he'll ever be, which isn't good enough to carry a team on his shoulders. If he is successful in KC, it'll be because the running game is working and the defense is formidable (which isn't hard to fathom). They feel like bringing Alex in will mean they won't get Geno Smith. Whether or not Geno Smith will be any good is not the point. They know Alex's level of play and would rather gamble on Geno. I can't say I blame them, but personally, I'd take Alex over Geno. I'm just saying I can see why they're so upset.
@mattbarrows With the caveat that everyone fibs at this time of the year: I'm told the #49ers do not have a trade deal in place for Alex Smith.