LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

Deal for Alex Smith Done?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by burtreynolds12:
Trading a backup QB for a 3rd round pick?

Too good to be true. No wonder KC fans are pissed.

LOL.....Kevin Kolb got traded for a 2nd round pick and a Pro-Bowl CB with far less of a track record than Alex. Matt Hasselback was a long time backup who turned out to be a decent starter. Alex Smith is a backup on the 49ers because Kaepernick is one of the top QB talents in football.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
But not guys who are great receivers, runners, and returners.

It is possible to have both. People are thinking too much that we'll be in salary cap hell for years with one big free agent. Plus he will not get $10 million a year. He'll probably have more yards next year than Manningham, Jenkins, and Williams combined.

Harvin didn't miss any games in 2011 and up until this last year he only missed 3 career games. His injury history is way overblown.

He is asking for Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson type money. If he is half as good as you say, don't you think he would be paid at least $10 million?

Even if he was asking for 1 million a year, we couldn't pay him, because right now we have nearly zero cap room.

There are teams with 40 million of cap room, since Harvin is obviously looking for a payday, I don't see where we can compete with them.
Originally posted by Fricker:
Trading a backup QB for a 3rd round pick?

Too good to be true. No wonder KC fans are pissed.

yep that are have you see the thread .. hours of laughter and enjoyment.. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270361&page=14

i also was the one that broke that Nate Davis got traded to the Colts before it happened .. so believe what ya want .. but this is pretty much the deal. Obviously anything can happen between now and 3/12 but from what i was told today.. This was the deal agreed on and good to go.

Is Alex on board then?
Originally posted by Jt8786:
Is Alex on board then?

Why would it matter? Ultimately he has no say in the decision. I'm guessing Baalke would have ran it by him as a courtesy, but the reality of the situation is...........

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 24, 2013 at 10:06 PM ]
Originally posted by Fricker:
yep that are have you see the thread .. hours of laughter and enjoyment.. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270361&page=14

i also was the one that broke that Nate Davis got traded to the Colts before it happened .. so believe what ya want .. but this is pretty much the deal. Obviously anything can happen between now and 3/12 but from what i was told today.. This was the deal agreed on and good to go.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Is Alex on board then?

Why would it matter? Ultimately he has no say in the decision. I'm guessing Baalke would have ran it by him as a courtesy, but the reality of the situation is...........

Wow, what an incredibly insightful post.

If the guy genuinely does have insider information with the Niners, why wouldn't we test it/see what else we could find out?

Instead, it's met with your stupid meme. Awesome, awesome post. Since you're apparently speaking in absolutes (like you TOO have insider information), I won't bother talking about the content.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

LOL....this......it'd be an intriguing claim, except for the fact that Nate Davis has never been traded by anyone, at anytime. He was cut by the 49ers, went to Seattle, was cut by them, went to Indy, was cut by them.
Wow, what an incredibly insightful post.

If the guy genuinely does have insider information with the Niners, why wouldn't we test it/see what else we could find out?

Instead, it's met with your stupid meme. Awesome, awesome post. Since you're apparently speaking in absolutes (like you TOO have insider information), I won't bother talking about the content.

Huh? What the f**k did any of that have to do with what I just posted in reference to Alex Smith being consulted about the trade?

Are you another one of those who had inside information on the Nate Davis "trade" too?

As far as my previous posts, You may like to believe in fairy tales, I don't buy into every poster who comes in claiming inside, secret knowledge, based on the fact that they had inside, secret knowledge of a trade that never happened. Sorry if that offends you. As far as the trade goes, I don't need some super secret inside information to tell me what I've known for awhile, that KC is a logical destination for Alex and that 3rd round compensation is quite fair for both parties.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 24, 2013 at 10:38 PM ]
LOL.....Kevin Kolb got traded for a 2nd round pick and a Pro-Bowl CB with far less of a track record than Alex. Matt Hasselback was a long time backup who turned out to be a decent starter. Alex Smith is a backup on the 49ers because Kaepernick is one of the top QB talents in football.

That Kolb trade was an atrocity. Teams should know better not go give up valuable 3rd round or higher picks for average stop-gap quarterbacks.

The Chiefs would be crazy to trade a 3rd or 2nd for Smith.

But as a Niner fan I'd love it of course.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

It is possible to have both. People are thinking too much that we'll be in salary cap hell for years with one big free agent. Plus he will not get $10 million a year. He'll probably have more yards next year than Manningham, Jenkins, and Williams combined.

Harvin didn't miss any games in 2011 and up until this last year he only missed 3 career games. His injury history is way overblown.

He is asking for Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson type money. If he is half as good as you say, don't you think he would be paid at least $10 million?

Even if he was asking for 1 million a year, we couldn't pay him, because right now we have nearly zero cap room.

There are teams with 40 million of cap room, since Harvin is obviously looking for a payday, I don't see where we can compete with them.

Of course he wants that much money. Who doesn't want to be one of the highest paid players at their position? He'll get $8-10 million.

Right now we don't have cap room, but after the trade could happen we would. On top of Alex being gone we're also likely to get get rid of Haralson and Akers will be gone.
Also word is we're not giving Goldson the tag and theyre still far apart on a contract so its likely he leaves and we have to go cheaper there. Justin Smith is a candidate to restructure his deal to save us money, as are Goodwinn and Whitner (who also both may be cut).

That Kolb trade was an atrocity. Teams should know better not go give up valuable 3rd round or higher picks for average stop-gap quarterbacks.

The Chiefs would be crazy to trade a 3rd or 2nd for Smith.

But as a Niner fan I'd love it of course.

Yet it continues to happen, year after year after year after year, QB's will always hold high value and trading a 3rd round pick for Alex is hardly exorbitant. You realize how many 3rd round picks turn into absolute busts? If you can get a starting QB that throws for 3200-3300 yards, 20-25 touchdowns, 8-12 INT's and completes 62-65% of his passes, that's well worth a 3rd round pick and then some.

LOL....this......it'd be an intriguing claim, except for the fact that Nate Davis has never been traded by anyone, at anytime. He was cut by the 49ers, went to Seattle, was cut by them, went to Indy, was cut by them.

I was just thinking that when I read it.

There is nothing quite like losing all credibility when trying to establish credibility.

FAIL. Lol.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

I was just thinking that when I read it.

There is nothing quite like losing all credibility when trying to establish credibility.

FAIL. Lol.

lulz

Of course he wants that much money. Who doesn't want to be one of the highest paid players at their position? He'll get $8-10 million.

Right now we don't have cap room, but after the trade could happen we would. On top of Alex being gone we're also likely to get get rid of Haralson and Akers will be gone.
Also word is we're not giving Goldson the tag and theyre still far apart on a contract so its likely he leaves and we have to go cheaper there. Justin Smith is a candidate to restructure his deal to save us money, as are Goodwinn and Whitner (who also both may be cut).

We're not giving Goldson the money because we are being smart with our cap. We have to nearly gut our team just to sign most of the players we already HAVE.

A Smith, Goldson, Soap, Rogers, Goodwin, Akers, Haralson, Ginn and maybe others will have to be let go just to free up money for...
Kap, Crabs, Iupati, A Davis, Aldon in the years ahead.

It's not about a single year. It's about the next 5 years. Harvin, like Goldson, wants a multiple year contract, which runs up into all those contracts above. Each of those five players is worth more than Harvin to our team. Losing any of them in the coming years because we just "had" to have a player like Harvin would be incompetent. With Harbaalke, the days of incompetence are behind us.
We're not giving Goldson the money because we are being smart with our cap. We have to nearly gut our team just to sign most of the players we already HAVE.

A Smith, Goldson, Soap, Rogers, Goodwin, Akers, Haralson, Ginn and maybe others will have to be let go just to free up money for...
Kap, Crabs, Iupati, A Davis, Aldon in the years ahead.

It's not about a single year. It's about the next 5 years. Harvin, like Goldson, wants a multiple year contract, which runs up into all those contracts above. Each of those five players is worth more than Harvin to our team. Losing any of them in the coming years because we just "had" to have a player like Harvin would be incompetent. With Harbaalke, the days of incompetence are behind us.

This. Anyone expecting this team to sign any high-priced free agents should work on disabusing themselves of that misconception starting now, otherwise they are going to be extremely disappointed in the not so distant future. I see this team signing some lower tier free agents, maybe one mid tier free agent, primarily to 1-2 year agreements.
Share 49ersWebzone